Thread: Mojo Nixon Holiday tunes/other favorite Holiday Music

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Mojo Nixon Holiday tunes/other favorite Holiday Music

For low brow holiday humor and pure goofy fun, has anyone listened to Mojo Nixon and Skid Roper? They have a Christmas album out (it came out in the 90s) called "Horny Holidays" Pretty vulgar, don't listen if you are offended by such. But pretty funny, and Skid lays down some good licks and funky rythms and someone contributes some good boogie woogie and honky tonk piano. Not suitable for family listening, but fun, esp. after making a dent in a holiday beer six pack.

Other Christmas favorites include:

John Denver, Rocky Mountain Christmas - I love the sentimental "Baby just like you" track, and the Christmas for Cowboys always seems to fit when I am teaching skiing during the holidays up here in the high desert intermountain rockies.

Beach Boys - Christmas Album - A lot of good original music with fun surf vibe in 1964. My kids love it, as did I when I was a kid.

Alligator Records Christmas Collection - Koko Taylor, Little Charlie and the Nightcats, Tinsley Ellis and a whole bunch of fun blues.

20th Century Maters Best of Blues Christmas Collection - Another good collection with B.B. King, Albert King, Charles Brown, Keb' Mo, Freddy King and others.

EDIT: Almost forgot a huge favorite:
    Charlie Brown Christmas I love jazz trio music and the Vince Guraldi Trio put out a huge holiday memory for me. I love what Jim Pfeifer did with it on his take of "Christmas Time is Here" linked in his post.

What are your favorites?
    Last edited by sunvalleylaw; December 24th, 2006 at 04:23 PM.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Never heard of it before, I'll have to check it out. In addition to those you've mentioned, I'd have to add Brian Setzer Orchestra's 2 Christmas albums to my favorites list.
    Rob Smith
    I AM the bass player!

GUITARS: '93 ZON Sonus 4, '85 G&L L-2000 (Mahogany), '05 Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, '06 SX SJB-62MG (Fretless), '07 Squier Bronco (project), '06 Ibanez AEB10E-BK acoustic bass, '70s Epiphone OO-sized acoustic, '94 Peavey Reactor (extreme makeover edition)

AMPS: '03 Ampeg BA115 bass combo, '86 Peavey MkIV Series 400 bass head, SWR Workingman's cabs, 2x10" & 1x15", '00 Peavey Micro Bass