Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
New Lesson - 44 bars of Jump Blues!

Thread: New Lesson - 44 bars of Jump Blues!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile New Lesson - 44 bars of Jump Blues!

Hey guys! I haven't been doing my podcasts for some time since I've been working on a new album and life has gotten hectic but I thought I would share a new lesson that I've pulled from my Woodshed Diary. For those of you seeing this stuff for the first time a whole explanation can be found here: http://markweinguitarlessons.com/for...draiser-thread!

This is from a rehearsal of the instrumental "Jack's Jump" from 11-27-12. I've isolated my solo, transcribed it and made mp3's at a couple of slower speeds. One thing that I've been trying to do is to record the rehearsals and if there is anything I dig transcribe it so that I remember what I like.

This song is one of two instrumentals on the album and really the only swing or shuffle-type feel on the whole thing...kind of an anomaly but I really love playing it so we're gonna record it.

As far as my approach with soloing over this, I'm not really thinking scales as much as chord tones and embellishments...more of a jazz than a blues or rock aesthetic. On some of the more "blues" tunes I spend more time playing pentatonic and blues scale based ideas in my solos but that just doesn't sound as cool to me as this. Each lick has a large number of notes in the chord that I'm playing over that define the harmony as much as make a melody. I learned this when I was in college trying to play Charlie Parker Bebop tunes. One of my teachers really pushed the USC "Zone System" on me with arpeggiation, chromaticism and alterations included and it was a big eye opener.

The chord progression is in an AABA form - two times through the "A" section, a bridge "(the "B") and then one more time through the "A". A pretty classic format for jazz.

The "A" section is a 12 bar blues but since we're playing it more in a swing style I've replaced the V and IV chords in bars 9 and 10 with a ii and V. You can see that in the chords written above the notation.

The "B" section is sort of like the kid of bridge you'd find in the "Rhythm Changes" style but I have two bars of the IV chord, two bars of the I chord, two bars of the I chord and then a bar of the II7 chord and a bar of the V chord with a little altered twist.

One note on the "altered" V chord. In the notation I wrote it as a D7#5 but I'm actually playing a D# augmented triad. over the D7 that triad gives you the #9, 6 and 4. Not sure what I was thinking when I played that but it seems to have worked, and one of the reasons why I'm documenting the whole process. Happy accidents are some of my favorite bits sometimes.

The image below is only the first of three pages. Click here for a PDF for the entire three page lesson.

Full Speed: http://soundcloud.com/mark-wein/jack...rsal-solo-full

Three Quarter Speed: http://soundcloud.com/mark-wein/jack...rehearsal-solo

Half Speed: http://soundcloud.com/mark-wein/jack...rsal-solo-half

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I like that! Thanks!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw View Post
    I like that! Thanks!

Thanks SVL!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Good stuff, that is. Thx, Mark!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    Good stuff, that is. Thx, Mark!

Thank you sir!