Thread: Tascam recorders

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tascam recorders

Thinkin' about getting a TASCAM recorder and was wondering if any of you might be able to share some light on a subject I know nothing about.

What do I need? I would only be recording myself on guitar (electric but maybe acoustic too) and maybe record over a backing track?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a Tascam DP-004 and have used it to record live band rehearsals. The built in mics do a fabulous job. The recordings have all turned out really clean in spite of the high sound levels. I've also set it close to my amph when coming up with ideas around the house, again using the built in mics, and get good results as well.

What I'm intending to do with it at times it plug in the Pocket Pod and do a little multi-tracking, but I haven't yet. It has the ability to do bouncing and a bunch of other functions but I haven't explored that yet either. I'm still not sure how to mark tracks and load into the computer yet either. I haven't spent much time on those functions yet. Our drummer's wife was doing all that with his DP-004 so I know it's possible and it turns out really well because the discs that we got from those sessions sound great.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tascam recorders

Just get a USB interface for your PC and some recording software. I use Mixcraft by Acoustica. It's cheap and great. Check the link in my sig. It was all done on that.

Oops, don't have a sig here. I was on my ipod. www.soundcloud.com/aspirinhammer
    Last edited by Stig; December 6th, 2012 at 08:06 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Ya, if you don't need a portable recorder, just get a USB interface and Reaper or Audacity software which are free.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmmmm......Geez, I hate feeling stupid. OK, I guess I wanted a Tascam or some-such recorder because you can go directly into the unit without using any mics picking up ambient room noise (like a wife talking on a phone, lol), right? I'm assuming you can't do that going into a computer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You can do that with a USB interface into your computer too. You plug your guitar into the interface. No mics to pick up noise. Then you can play around with the recorded sound in your computer once it is in there. Or if you want something portable, you can get an iRig or similar for you iPhone (if you have one) and get the app. Like everything, there is an app for that!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Oh wow.....so if I do the interface, then I use Audacity or Reaper to store it?

What do you mean by a USB interface that I plug my git into? Any pics or links for that?

OMG......I feel like such a dinosaur.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Don't worry about it. That's why we are here. My USB interface is a Line 6 Toneport, an older version of this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...-with-pod-farm

It comes with software you can use that helps you shape the sound and emulate amphs, effects etc., along with Audacity or Reaper or whatever. Or there are cheaper ones like this http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...cording-studio, or M-audio makes them too. I don't know anything about those. I have used the Toneport UX2 for several years. A used one of those (or a UX1 with fewer inputs) would be a good way to go too. Others can suggest other interfaces that work well. But that is the idea. You can see in the picture how you plug your guitar into the little box, then the box into the computer via USB.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info.......gonna have to check this stuff out.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all......Just ordered a Tascam DP-004 Bundle.