Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Checking in for the first time in a long time

Post Thanks / Like

Default Checking in for the first time in a long time

Hello everyone-

It's been a while since I have been said anything around here, but I thought I would drop in to say hi. I am now living in Cleveland and my wife and I are really liking the shift in lifestyle; it's a pretty cool city.

I have been on a gear purge since about September and have sold off all but one of each major type of instrument (still have 1 acoustic, 1 electric, 1 bass). Surprisingly, it feels really good to have less overhead, but I'm a little weird that way. It was a long process to figure out what to keep. I recently assembled a nice bass rig with NWBasser's help, and my current 'official' musical pursuits (i.e. anything outside of guitar futzing at home) are now on bass, but that's more a product of need than anything else.

Otherwise, things are largely the same. I'm trying my hand at learning beer brewing and am figuring out my new job, and am just taking some time to enjoy a fun time in life. I've missed you guys, but it has been good for me to get away from the forums and re-center a bit.

So...all of that is to say "Hi." What did I miss??
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Good to hear from you, Eric, and glad to know that all the changes for you have been positive. I'm ready to do a gear purge myself. Merry Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

DUDE, great to hear from you. You've been noticeably absent. Glad to hear things are well. Interesting, I have family in Cleveland, 2 Aunts in Euclid Heights, cousin in Solon, his big brother is in Brooklyn, brews beer and is named Eric. Whodathunk. You're not working for a utility are you?

Noting the edited signature. Amphs have remained!
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

Wondered where you'd gone. From seeing your name in practically every post to not seeing it at all you were missed.

What's happened since you were gone? Well, some people got some new stuff, some got rid of some stuff, some questions were asked and brilliant answers were given.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back!

You probably didn't miss any major, groundbreaking events, but as RH says, brilliant answers have been given.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tio Kimo View Post
    DUDE, great to hear from you. You've been noticeably absent. Glad to hear things are well. Interesting, I have family in Cleveland, 2 Aunts in Euclid Heights, cousin in Solon, his big brother is in Brooklyn, brews beer and is named Eric. Whodathunk. You're not working for a utility are you?
    Not to the best of my knowledge, but I'm fairly unaware most of the time; maybe that's me when I'm not paying attention.

Noting the edited signature. Amphs have remained!
    Yeah, most of the attrition has been guitars (sold 4) and pedals (sold 12ish), but I only had 3 amps, so I guess there wasn't that much to sell. It was a big day for me when I realized that I don't have the patience to use many/any effects on a regular basis. Surprisingly, volume and tone knobs can be adjusted; why nobody told me that before, I don't know.
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Howdy, stranger! You certainly have been missed here in our virtual hangout. I suspected the move and job change plus all the associated fun put plenty on your plate. Those major stressors would have put me in a "keep everything simple" direction as well. The act of balancing time and energy can't be ignored for long.

It sounds like you are in a good place in life, which is fantastic news.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Hey! It's what's-his-name! I too took a set away for a while. Good to see you.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post
    Hey! It's what's-his-name! I too took a set away for a while. Good to see you.
    My recent gear changes had me thinking about you, what with the economy of guitars and acquisition of bass-cessories. The fact that the Jet City won out as my only 'real' (i.e. can be played with a drummer) amp probably added to that as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    My recent gear changes had me thinking about you, what with the economy of guitars and acquisition of bass-cessories. The fact that the Jet City won out as my only 'real' (i.e. can be played with a drummer) amp probably added to that as well.
    Yeah. It's rather nice, actually, to have gear I like and not really want anything else. The only thing I've thought of is having some kind of hard tail guitar, but that's a minor deal. I still toy with getting a reverb pedal every so often, but I haven't done anything with that.

Part of my disappearance had to do with the fact that my Jet City was out of commission for a long time. Even when I got it back, I found myself playing more bass than guitar.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

It's good to see you back and happy with your move. Good luck with your continuing pursuits. I'd have a hard time giving up my Agiles too.

Post Thanks / Like

I too have family Cleveland (Parma specifically) - glad things are working out for you there!

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear that things are going well for you, Eric......you left Philly at the right time as the IGGLES have been stinking up the joint this season.

Post Thanks / Like

Good to see you Eric. Glad to hear the move is working out well for you. Your absence around here is definitely noticeable. Best wishes to you and your wife for the holidays.

Post Thanks / Like

E! Glad the move and job sitch worked! Welcome back. I've been pretty scarce the last few months myself.

Had a bunch of partners retire or quit, so we're moving out of our offices and divvying up the business. Fortunately rather than just having to hang up a shingle I contacted one of our best clients who offered to hire me years ago, and will be going to work directly for him, essentially doing the same lawyering thing I've always done.

He's downstate so I'll "telecommute" from home. First new job in 29 years! Starts in January.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hey Eric! Good to see you! I bet it is kinda nice to strip it down to essentials and get to know your instruments really well. Welcome back!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back!
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Eric, nice to see you here.

What Eric didn't say is that I abducted him, brought him back to the PacNW, and brainwashed him into becoming a bass player.

The brainwashing took awhile, but I'm quite happy with the results.

Mwah ha ha!

Beware, Robert's next.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NWBasser View Post
    Hey Eric, nice to see you here.

What Eric didn't say is that I abducted him, brought him back to the PacNW, and brainwashed him into becoming a bass player.

The brainwashing took awhile, but I'm quite happy with the results.

Mwah ha ha!
    You know, there's more truth to that than you might think. Obviously not literally, but I do quite like playing bass. I'm officially off the pick when playing bass, which was a big step for me. I'm not so good that I can play interesting parts and still do my job as a bassist (i.e. find a pocket and keep the band together), but I'm getting there. I still find the guitar to be a little bit more fun, but the bass fits my personality pretty well. It's a strange journey. One really good thing is that freaking nobody plays the bass, so it's incredibly easy to find people to play with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast