Thread: An original from a new guy - Support Your Local Astronauts

Post Thanks / Like

Default An original from a new guy - Support Your Local Astronauts

I recorded this one several months back. It's under my fake, one man band name that I use for my stuff; Aspirin Hammer. (Long story...) I haven't written any more originals since, but for a while considered making this part of a rock opera. Then abandoned that idea because it was silly.

Anyway, it also nicely sums up me musically. A bit Beatle-y, a bit Byrds-y, a bit XTC and Guided by Voices. I'll save the Ramones-y stuff for another post.

Hope you guys like it!

http://soundcloud.com/aspirinhammer/support-your-local

Post Thanks / Like

I dig it! Chimey, and rootsy. I'm definitely hearing the Beatles, and the Byrds influence.

I'd like to hear the Ramones-y stuff, too!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe View Post
    I dig it! Chimey, and rootsy. I'm definitely hearing the Beatles, and the Byrds influence.

I'd like to hear the Ramones-y stuff, too!
    Thanks! I'll post more links but you can browse around my Soundcloud page for more stuff. Check out one called Defective. There are a couple of Ramones covers too.

Post Thanks / Like

Very catchy tune. Also hear a bit of a Tom Petty vibe -- and that too is a compliment. Looking forward to hearing more.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Very cool!
    I wish the local all astronaut band, "Max Q", sounded half as good.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, guys! Tig, there's a band made up of astronauts?

Post Thanks / Like

Are you kidding? I LOVE Tom Petty!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post
    Thanks, guys! Tig, there's a band made up of astronauts?
    Yep. There have been many different lineups. The best was the first back in the late 80's.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if that Max Q ever got into a legal battle with Michael Hutchence of INXS over the name. He fronted a short-lived (no pun intended) side project with that name.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

They got their name from the space vehicle ascent phase, maximum dynamic pressure, AKA: "maximum Q". They started about the time Michael Hutchence's band did, but being a cover band, they didn't show up on the music scene radar.

Poor Michael Hutchence. His suicide was such a sad waste. I saw INXS play a small venue in '83, and they really had it together.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds great. It reminds me of one of our local Phoenix bands, The Gin Blossoms. I like the 12-string and harmonica.
    Great job on this!

--Jim Pfeifer

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! Oddly enough, the harmonica was in the loop library of the software I use, Acoustica Mixcraft, and wasn't in the first mix of the song. I stumbled on it looking for a drum loop, and thought it would go nicely in there.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the song, really like the vocals. I think if you dropped the 12-string for standard guitar or something else the song would have more of it's own vibe, right now it's kind of trapped.

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool. Love the electric 12.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by guitarhack View Post
    Very cool. Love the electric 12.
    Thanks! I love electric 12. It's a big part of my overall sound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rumblejet View Post
    I like the song, really like the vocals. I think if you dropped the 12-string for standard guitar or something else the song would have more of it's own vibe, right now it's kind of trapped.
    Thanks! Not sure if all six strings would work for me on that. In my head, it always sounded the way it does.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know how I missed this the first time around. I agree . . . very Petty-esque.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn