Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Attention Washburn Refugees! wd10sce Content

Thread: Attention Washburn Refugees! wd10sce Content

Post Thanks / Like

Default Attention Washburn Refugees! wd10sce Content

I don't know if any of the Washburn refugees are still around, but my son and I went acoustic shopping yesterday. One of my favorite local establishments has a wd10sce that we really liked. It's a dreadnaught with the cutaway for access to the higher frets. It also has a Fishman preamp, pickup, and tuner. I thought it sounded quite remarkable for $300. Obviously it's not a Martin, but it doesn't cost as much either. Some of the lows sounded a bit boomy amplified, but nothing major. The online reviews seem universally positive. I just wondered if any of you had experience with this model or something similar.

Here's the product page: http://www.washburn.com/products/aco...ge/wd10sce.php
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

hi, yep still lurking, and still own one washburn. well, kinda. D10's have LONG been a wonderful value. A very competent, playable, good sounding acoustic for very little money.

This is an example of high volume = high value. The D10 is the cash cow for the company, and the director of manufacturing, who spends half his time in Asia inspecting operations (and who learned the guitar business in a similar role for Tacoma for many years) told me personally that making sure that particular model is basically underpriced is a huge priority. I've had lunch with him several times. My sales job use to take me by the shop often and we became well acquainted.

You're experience is consistent with everything I've heard and experienced about them. I've got a buddy with a 2000 model, and made it a point to find one in a shop and play a 2011 model because the company changed hands and I wanted to see if the quality had suffered.

Washburn "fans" will tell you that it's a shame, with such a great magnet for aspiring guitarists in the lineup, that they don't have a better, well, lineup! There really isn't that much in the stable to graduate to. They haven't had a US made acoustic for many years, and the last ones they had, were in fact done in house, and had very mixed reviews given the price point and competition (2k and that ilk)

My "washburn" is actually a Bourgeois from the mid 90's, cosmetically appointed for Washburn, but in all ways that matter, it's a bourgeois "Standard D", and listed, in '95, for $2500.00. that signified a pretty major statement about their acoustic aspirations. Those days appear to be long gone.
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Attention Washburn Refugees! wd10sce Content

He ended up getting it. Best part is that he joined the guitar ensemble at school, so he'll have something practical to keep him practicing.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I'm gonna need a reasonably priced acoustic-electric for an adult praise band we're forming at church, and that Washburn model is on my short list. Nice to hear more good things about it here!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My local guitar shop has a WF10SCE, which is the folk version with a single cutaway. I like it a lot and it's $300-ish, maybe less. Every time I visit the store, it ends up in my lap for at least 10 minutes.

Washburns have become underrated in this over-saturated market and these models offer a tremendous bang for your buck. If my Seagull went missing, I'd be tempted to replace it with a Washburn.

Nothing is anything until it is written. After that, it's everything.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Marnold, glad to hear some good guits are still coming out with the Washburn name. The last few years have been difficult with change of ownership and change of focus on mass producing cheaper guitars with questionable attention to quality. But with so many people picking up "First Act" and hawking "Esteban" on Craigslist, Washburn is still a cut above. And I still have mine and love them.

Post Thanks / Like

Shiner! Good to hear from you. Yep, I was very surprised by the quality of that guitar. Not that I expected it to be bad, I just didn't expect it to be that good. Say hi to CB for me!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyshiner View Post
    Hey Marnold, glad to hear some good guits are still coming out with the Washburn name. The last few years have been difficult with change of ownership and change of focus on mass producing cheaper guitars with questionable attention to quality. But with so many people picking up "First Act" and hawking "Esteban" on Craigslist, Washburn is still a cut above. And I still have mine and love them.

There he is the man the myth the legend!!! HOWS IT HANGING MY WACO BROTHER!!! LOW, HIGH, RIGHT, LEFT!!