Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Talk me out of it (Squier '51 modding content) - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of it (Squier '51 modding content)

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I got the new saddles and installed them this evening. Those height screws definitely aren't going to move! I also put the .010-.052 set that I had the original plastic nut slotted for. I've got the intonation more or less set. Now with the new strings and new saddles, I'm going to have to let the neck set, adjust the truss rod, and then do the final height settings. After that I can finalize the intonation. It's weird acoustically not hearing hearing the bridge rattle all over the place. I'll be able to listen to it plugged in tomorrow--kids are asleep now.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

More tweaking. I forgot how much work can go into finding that balance between string height and fret buzz. I basically played above the 12th fret and tried to set the saddle height to where fret buzz was more or less eliminated. Some is tolerable, but not when it's killing sustain. They basically follow the curvature of the neck. I couldn't help but think this would be easier with a 16" radius

Anyway, I checked the neck bow and there's a little too much. I tweaked the truss rod a bit and retuned. Everything seems pretty good now, but I'll let the neck settle for a day before I check it again. I'm glad I taught myself to do my own setups, even though the process is rather tedious.

I also got to play it plugged in. It definitely makes a difference--and a good one at that. The saddles do tame the high-end a bit. For the lack of a better term, it sounds more natural and less metallic/clangy. It is still a fundamentally bright guitar, even more so than my DK2M.

So in the last analysis, I think the $35 was well-spent. The original Squier 51 saddles left a lot to be desired in every way. These are much, much better without breaking the bank. The black saddles look cool against the chrome bridge plate and black pick guard. The only quibble is that I might have to get a couple of slightly shorter screws for the low E and G strings. I'm not worrying about it for now because if they are contacting the strings, it is only barely. Thus the GraphTech PS-8000-00 Electric Guitar String Saver Saddles gain the coveted Rev. Rawk seal of approval.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Cool deal. So are you officially talked out of modding this guitar, or have you officially modded it at this point?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Talk me out of it (Squier '51 modding content)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Cool deal. So are you officially talked out of modding this guitar, or have you officially modded it at this point?
    Well, not to the extent that I originally thought. I'm still pondering tuners. I don't know if anything else is imminent. Of course, tomorrow things might be different. :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Should you decide to replace tuners, I've used these a couple of times and I like them:

http://www.azguitarparts.com/index.p...products_id=22
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Should you decide to replace tuners, I've used these a couple of times and I like them:

http://www.azguitarparts.com/index.p...products_id=22
    Any idea on the size or tuning ratio? I can't seem to find specs on them.

A lot of people on the Squier '51 modders forum like these from Stew Mac, along with the requisite bushings:
    http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/G...6-In-Line.html
    http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/T..._Bushings.html

At least with these, I'd know that the tuners/bushings will work for sure with the '51, although I'd have to drill for the set screws. I kind of like the vintage tuner thing where you stick the end of the string in the post and twist from there. My bass tuners are like that.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing that surprised me having just played both back to back is how much louder acoustically my '51 is compared to my DK2M. Probably in no small part due to the floating trem and thinner neck. DK2M is still way more fun to play, though

Post Thanks / Like

Since I've got a little money for my birthday, I've been thinking about getting the conversion bushings and tuners I linked to in post #25. I might just get a new nut while I'm at it because I might as well get as much as I can on a Stew Mac order.

And, yes, I'm back to thinking about pickups again. That'd be more expensive, obviously, but still fun to ponder. My ideas were (basically in order of potential hum )
    1) SD P-Rails at the bridge and a regular SD single coil
    2) Lace Hot Gold Dually (13K/13K, 13K/6K, or 6K/6K) and a single Lace Hot Gold
    3) Replicate my old Floyd (sort of) with an SD Screamin' Demon at the bridge and a Dimarzio Area 67

The big argument against #1 is hum potential and it's more difficult to wire to get full use of the P-Rail. That's why I think it's the least likely of the three. The third option is the one I'm most familiar with. Known quantities, I know I'll like both pickups. I'd probably switch the push-pull pot to switch between both pickups in series or parallel. The Lace sensors have always intrigued me. I'd probably opt for the 13K/6K dually so it wouldn't overpower the single one. I'd set it up so that I could use the 13K sensor separately. My only "concern" with them is their inherent compression. My lack of talent could probably use that, though. The juxtaposition of the modern-looking Laces on a throwback-looking guitar is rather delicious too.

I know the many arguments against this. No return on investment, lots of money on a cheap guitar, etc. The thing is that I like the vibe of the guitar. I've got it already. I'd like a hard tail to complement my beloved Jackson. Yet it's different enough from the Jackson so it doesn't seem like I've got two of the same thing. I'd probably also keep the '51 in Eb. Plus, I haven't smelled solder fumes in a while.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think a mod project on a cool, kitschy guitar that you like sounds swell. I say go for it. No talking you out of it coming from me!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If the neck is an issue due to shape, well just reshape it slightly! Simply sand it to your liking. I would recommend shaving material from below your thumb in the normal playing position only, i.e. only shave the upper portion of the neck behind the E string to more of a / shape instead of (. That makes the neck feel very thin but still fills the hand nicely. It's amazing how great a difference just a little shaving can do, just 1,5-2mm off and the feel is completely different.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Like this, the modded neck shape on the right. Maybe a little exaggerated here but the idea.

Really works well for me!
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Judging from the silhouette, I can see why you like that shape

The more I play it, the more I realize the neck isn't a big issue. I would like bigger frets for sure, but that's not a deal-breaker. The bridge was and the new saddles took care of that. The tuners are the next thing. Actually my Jackson's tuners aren't much better, but with a locking nut they are all but irrelevant except at string changes.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm, or maybe a Fred instead of the Screamin' Demon . . . hmmm.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, I've got a 13K/13K Lace Hot Gold Dually and a single 6K Hot Gold in my MF shopping cart. Your time to talk me out of it or encourage me in my madness is rapidly running out. Must order before it's no longer the 18th . . .

Post Thanks / Like

So you don't like the '51 as is? I don't find pickups to make that big of a difference.

(This is me talking you out of it.)

Post Thanks / Like

(This is me talking you out of it.)
    Hehe. Well played.

But, the order was just placed. Clips to follow once a) they get here and b) I can get my soldering iron fired up. I'll wire up the push-pull to shunt one of the Dually coils to ground, making it a standard 13K Hot Gold. I was convinced to buy the 13K/13K instead of the 6K/6K when I watched a video on YouTube where someone had a Strat loaded with Hot Golds (including a 13K bridge) and a neck-on mod. I thought the bridge+neck tones were really nice. Also MF had this one in stock whereas the other one wouldn't be available until the end of March. If it turns out to be too much, I can return it within 45 days and get the other one.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, the pickups are in! I forgot what solder smells like. I had a bit of an issue with the Dually. When I grounded one of the ground wires, the pickup cut out entirely. One call to Lace later and it turns out one of the leads got pinched in the pickup cavity when I installed it.

Initial impressions are that the Dually is big and powerful and more in the low mids than my JB in my Jackson, while still retaining nice highs. Split into one 13K hot gold, it sounds not unlike a hot Tele bridge pickup, which is good because I like that. The neck pickup I think sounds more single coil-like than my old Area 61s did. The Lace are low noise but not no noise, so it's much better than my old single coil, but not dead quiet like the Area 61s were. The middle position, whether one coil or two at the bridge, is very nice.

Much more "testing" is required, of course Basically the bridge pickup is a massive, dramatic change. It went from being a high-end heavy PAF-ish pup to a fire breather.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a link to the thread with clips: http://www.thefret.net/showthread.ph...Now-with-Clips!

I also placed a StewMac order for tuners, bushings, nut, and a Switchcraft jack. The jack I mainly added for kicks since the current one seems to be functioning fine. It was less than four bucks, so no biggie.

The cost for everything (not counting my installation time) will be:
    Squier '51 $99 (technically free since it was a Christmas gift)

Parts
    Lace Hot Gold single coil $66.60 (spooky!)
    Lace Hot Gold dually $88.20
    GraphTech saddles $34.29
    Gotoh tuners $37.92
    TUSQ XL nut $13.35
    Conversion bushings $7.87
    Switchcraft jack $3.64
    StewMac shipping $9.75

Parts Total $261.62
    Grand Total with guitar original cost $360.62

The pickups came from Musicians' Friend and were the lion's share of the overall cost. Thankfully I got 10% off for their President's Day sale. The saddles came from Amazon. The remaining parts are coming from StewMac. I don't think that the total is bad overall. Of course, if I had to have all of this professionally installed it would be much more expensive. Have soldering iron, will travel.

By way of comparison, you can get a new MIM Fender for about $499 from MF. There would be compromises WRT to pickups and jack and maybe nut and tuners too. There would be no point in doing this if I didn't like the guitar on a fundamental level. I think the '51 is just plain cool. It gives me a lot of tonal flexibility and is an excellent counterpart to my Jackson DK2M.

About the only other thing I might do it swap out the volume pot for one with a smoother taper, but that's a something for another day. That would be a trivial cost relative to everything else. I also got Fender/Schaller strap locks for it back when I first got it, but I have no idea what I paid for them. I put those on all of my guitars that I've ever owned.

Post Thanks / Like

Today I broke down and took it to a luthier to install the Gotoh tuners. I had a hard time finding an afternoon to devote to the project. Plus the supplied screws were so long, I was afraid that I'd drill through the entire headstock. Ended up being $25+tax, which works for me. They do seem to be easier to zone in whilst tuning. I've got brand new strings on there, so it's still a little hard to tell until the strings finish stretching out entirely. The tuners are much stiffer than the original ones. You're certainly not going to bump them out of tune. They are also the "vintage" style where you start winding the string by sticking the end in the top of the post. That should make string changes quicker.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast