Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Talk me out of it (Squier '51 modding content)

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Always nice to have someone else do the dirty work, rather than doing it yourself! That's how I feel most of the time...
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post
    Today I broke down and took it to a luthier to install the Gotoh tuners. I had a hard time finding an afternoon to devote to the project. Plus the supplied screws were so long, I was afraid that I'd drill through the entire headstock. Ended up being $25+tax, which works for me. They do seem to be easier to zone in whilst tuning. I've got brand new strings on there, so it's still a little hard to tell until the strings finish stretching out entirely. The tuners are much stiffer than the original ones. You're certainly not going to bump them out of tune. They are also the "vintage" style where you start winding the string by sticking the end in the top of the post. That should make string changes quicker.
    After a good amount of time with these tuners, I can say that they were definitely worth the upgrade. It stays in tune much better now and it is easier to get into tune in the first place. It still isn't going to replace my Jackson as my #1, but I now enjoy playing it much more. When I switch to it from the Jackson, I no longer feel as great a drop-off (or as great a desire to put it down and pick the Jackson back up). The Hot Golds are also enough different from the JB/Jazz combo that I get a good amount of tonal diversity.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!"--Carl Brutananadilewski

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post
    After a good amount of time with these tuners, I can say that they were definitely worth the upgrade. It stays in tune much better now and it is easier to get into tune in the first place. It still isn't going to replace my Jackson as my #1, but I now enjoy playing it much more. When I switch to it from the Jackson, I no longer feel as great a drop-off (or as great a desire to put it down and pick the Jackson back up). The Hot Golds are also enough different from the JB/Jazz combo that I get a good amount of tonal diversity.
    Cool deal. Since you're now into multiple instruments, do you want to buy a bass or cab from me? I have one too many of each of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Cool deal. Since you're now into multiple instruments, do you want to buy a bass or cab from me? I have one too many of each of them.
    Well, I've already got a bass that I'm quite happy with. One's enough for me.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!"--Carl Brutananadilewski

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123