Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of it (Squier '51 modding content)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Talk me out of it (Squier '51 modding content)

Hey! Remember when we used to talk about Squier '51s all the time?

OK, now that my son has an acoustic, my mind goes back to modding my Squier '51. I like the '51's style enough that I'd like to work with it, but I'm not sure about the money I'd have to sink into it. Here's the things I'd like to do:

1) Replace the bridge with a Wilkinson WTBC
    2) Replace the neck/tuners with something like this: http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/Show...ood=1&i=TN5089
    3) Swap out the pups
    4) Replace the volume pot with a concentric volume/tone

The problem is that when I total all of this up, I keep thinking that I could just get a Charvel Desolation LP-style instead.

The bridge sucks mainly because the screws for the saddle height won't stay in place. The Wilkinson is cheap. The only issue is that I'd have to drill new holes. The neck is because the neck on my Jackson has spoiled me. The Warmoth link above has a really nice neck with jumbo frets, compound radius, etc. I'd have to reverse the nut, but that's trivial. The main problem I have with the original pegs are the tuning ratio.

Pups could be pushed off. I just think that, compared to my Jackson's JB/Jazz combo, the '59s pickups sound wimpy. That and the volume pot thing could be held off.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!"--Carl Brutananadilewski

Post Thanks / Like

I just checked and the lefty neck has the adjustment at the heel, which is out for me. They've got a righty one with a 1 5/8" nut in the same thing that would adjust at the side.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz

Post Thanks / Like

'51 Squiers are slide-guitar monsters.....you can leave the neck as is. Ya gotta get it.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd do just the bridge if it's that big of a problem. Have you just tried some Loc Tite to see if those screws stop turning. That's a cheap fix. I've left mine stock except for a chrome HB mounting ring. I'm not a big fan of the round knob to change pickup selection, but I can certainly live with it. I think the thing pretty much rocks hard just the way it is.

Still, you really should get the Charvel.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys! Funny to come across this thread. I've been sitting and staring at my son's 51' Squier I gave him. He just got a new acoustic for Christmas and wanted me to do some work on the Squier. Neither one of us uses the tremolo so the bridge is just locked in place but I am definitely thinking new pickups. Not sure what your thinking marnold but how about a "Texas" hot humbucker at the bridge and a classic tele lipstick at the neck? I think that might actually make that basswood body growl a little bit.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Talk me out of it (Squier '51 modding content)

The problem with Loctite is that the saddle is stuck there forever. The new bridge would be less than $30. The neck would be the biggest cost.

Yeah, I'd really like that Charvel, but I'd like to be able to play one first. No place around here carries them.

And Pbp, I've heard many people say that, but I'm not a slide player.

Post Thanks / Like

Loctite isn't permanent. Get a little bottle of threadlock and dribble onto the screws. It just takes a bit more effort to break the seal when you want to adjust it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...d_i=B003ZUXQIA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markb View Post
    Loctite isn't permanent. Get a little bottle of threadlock and dribble onto the screws. It just takes a bit more effort to break the seal when you want to adjust it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...d_i=B003ZUXQIA
    Agreed. I have some of the non-permanent stuff and, while it takes a little effort to break it once it's dry, it's definitely possible. I just loosened some 1/4" cables recently to do some repair work. I think they come in difference strengths.

Here's my take on your situation (from my experience): either do the cheapest option or nothing at all. Unless you are ridiculously dedicated to the Squier, you will probably just return to your best guitar (DK2M) and play that 90% of the time. There's really no sense in making a Squier '51 into another Jackson. You will never recoup the modding costs if you decide to sell.

That said, if you want to do it just for kicks (and not with the expectation that you will make this into a #1 guitar), it sounds like a good project for learning. You could even try sanding down the existing neck to your preferred profile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Agreed. I have some of the non-permanent stuff and, while it takes a little effort to break it once it's dry, it's definitely possible. I just loosened some 1/4" cables recently to do some repair work. I think they come in difference strengths.
    Hmmm. I thought it was tougher than that. I learned something!

Here's my take on your situation (from my experience): either do the cheapest option or nothing at all. Unless you are ridiculously dedicated to the Squier, you will probably just return to your best guitar (DK2M) and play that 90% of the time. There's really no sense in making a Squier '51 into another Jackson. You will never recoup the modding costs if you decide to sell.
    That's a good point about trying to back it into a Jackson. I guess there is some of that. That would be a bad idea (tm).

That said, if you want to do it just for kicks (and not with the expectation that you will make this into a #1 guitar), it sounds like a good project for learning. You could even try sanding down the existing neck to your preferred profile.
    And it would be for kicks, more or less. It would never supplant my Jackson. Basically, I'd like to have a good hardtail guitar in addition to my Floyd-equipped one. The problem with sanding the neck is that I'd prefer bigger frets too

I go through this phase every so often where I want to mod it and then that feeling goes away. I'll be patient.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post
    Basically, I'd like to have a good hardtail guitar in addition to my Floyd-equipped one.
    That makes sense. My gut just tells me that if I was in your situation, I'd rather buy a decent hardtail and be done with it. My level of dedication to any one guitar is very very low, however, so the situation may be entirely different for you.
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Ya know, I just sat down and played that '51 for a while. I don't think I really mind the neck or the pickups that much. Maybe just the bridge and be done with it. Hmmm. I really do like the vibe of this guitar.

<Linus Van Pelt>Maybe it's not such a bad guitar after all</Linus Van Pelt>

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post
    <Linus Van Pelt>Maybe it's not such a bad guitar after all</Linus Van Pelt>
    What would be really amazing is if, when you started playing that guitar, each member of your family started dancing like one of the kids in the school play.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm. Maybe these might be the answer. No drilling in the body then. I want to hear what the new guy in the other thread thinks about his. One guy on the Squier '51 modding forums complained that it dulled the tone too much, but he will only use brass. This guitar is awfully bright so a little warming certainly wouldn't hurt it. I've got to up the bass and cut back on the presence on my amph when I use it.

http://www.amazon.com/GraphTech-PS-8.../dp/B0002E4Y9C

Post Thanks / Like

If anything I think they improve tone & sustain real nice. They reduced my string breakage better then 50% too. Thats originaly why I went to them. I know a lot of players that use them & never heard them called dull sounding. With the nuts they are the closest sounding to bone & way easier to work with. No matter what path you take there will be someone that says its the wrong one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by keletcaster View Post
    If anything I think they improve tone & sustain real nice. They reduced my string breakage better then 50% too. Thats originaly why I went to them. I know a lot of players that use them & never heard them called dull sounding. With the nuts they are the closest sounding to bone & way easier to work with. No matter what path you take there will be someone that says its the wrong one.
    Definitely the truth there. Interestingly, I've never broken a string in my life. Of course, most of my life I was a bass player and you have to try pretty hard to break one of those. I'm mainly interested because they would work as a drop-in replacement on the '51 and so I wouldn't have to deal with the bridge rattling ever again. I'm also having very minor issues on a couple of strings with intonation because the adjustment screw is beginning to dig into the string itself.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I noticed that they were down to one set left (from three yesterday) rather than hope that they get more at the same price, I ordered them today. I'll give a report when they come in. If that goes well, I may look at a Tusq or graphite nut.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool! I bet you like em' That price was good too.

Post Thanks / Like

Rev I wholeheartedly agree with keletcaster I choose these alot on my guitar mods never dull sounding fo-sho and increase sustainability always!! I do like some metals and bone for saddles and bridges but most of the times I was chasing the sounds in my head!

Post Thanks / Like

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast