Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

'69 Princeton GAS

Thread: '69 Princeton GAS

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default '69 Princeton GAS

1969 AA964 circuit goodness, but not the reverb model. No issues and quiet as a shadow.
    $750
    I've been wanting a sweet little vintage Fender for some time now.
    Hmmmmmm...

Replaced speaker with the highly regarded Weber C10Q. A 3-prong power cord as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet........good luck.......a little tube-age never hurt anybody.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats a sweatheart amp. I have been thinking of replacing the speakers in my 68 Super Reverb. I havent looked at those Webers yet. This amp was my 1st amp & was passed down to me from my father.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by keletcaster View Post
    Thats a sweatheart amp. I have been thinking of replacing the speakers in my 68 Super Reverb. I havent looked at those Webers yet. This amp was my 1st amp & was passed down to me from my father.
    Priceless hand me down!

Most people who replace the speaker with a Weber C10Q say it sounds better than the original by a fair margin

Post Thanks / Like

Great Tig I had a Silverface Princeton way back in the 90's when I was still in Paris and it was a great amp. Nice crunch sound and just loud enough for small clubs !
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm considering getting it, but the cost might be out of reach.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jipes View Post
    Great Tig I had a Silverface Princeton way back in the 90's when I was still in Paris and it was a great amp. Nice crunch sound and just loud enough for small clubs !
    Its funny that you say that because I have always thought that would be the only place to play through such a creamy vintage tone monster. On the big stage the tone would be lost and you risk damaging a very expensive amplifier.

Post Thanks / Like

This is Mike Campbell's rig. Look what's hiding behind those VOX Super Beatle stacks

Princetons do it for Ryan Adams too. He used to have a huge fake front to his amps in the form of a giant Princeton.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been schooled!!
    Sorry I misspoke.... I was referring to the Super Reverb. Great amp! I was fortunate enough to play a Telecaster deluxe through one back at the beginning of December. But "mucho dinero". And I had just read the post in this thread http://www.thefret.net/showthread.ph...-Thread/page10
    1964 Super Reverb(s). A bit pricey, but holy crap - this is tone to die for: http://greenville.craigslist.org/msg/3549403083.html
    and made me wonder if anyone would ever carry one outside of the house.

No really... Been to plenty of big shows with small amps. Love the Eagles setup. I mic my Classic 30 because the tone way outweighs any tone from a SS (of course they have their place too) And I am now incorporating my Transtube 112(Until I get the 212. Why do I feel like I'm rambling.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markb View Post
    This is Mike Campbell's rig. Look what's hiding behind those VOX Super Beatle stacks

Princetons do it for Ryan Adams too. He used to have a huge fake front to his amps in the form of a giant Princeton.

And I really dig the Vox stacks!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by cebreez View Post
    I have been schooled!!
    Sorry I misspoke.... I was referring to the Super Reverb. Great amp! I was fortunate enough to play a Telecaster deluxe through one back at the beginning of December. But "mucho dinero". And I had just read the post in this thread http://www.thefret.net/showthread.ph...-Thread/page10
    and made me wonder if anyone would ever carry one outside of the house.
    Here's one fix, albeit arguably somewhat extreme: cut the fecker in half! Note my '66 Super, second from left below:

Each cab is still really heavy, especially the top with the amp in it. I usually use my old skateboard as an amp truck when I use the Super. I didn't cut the amp up, bought it that way back in the early '90's for three Benjamins even. It then still had the original tubes, but the speakers had been replaced with Sunn Magna 108's-- whatever those are, haha. They sound good anyhow. In addition to making it a little easier to hump, halving the amp also gives me the option of using just the top half, as a 40W 2x10 combo, or pairing that combo instead with a DIY 2x12 cab I have with some Celestions in it, for a little more bottom. The 2x12 is also a little easier to move, as it has some nice casters.

Here's a pic of that 2x10/2x12 halfstack, behind me on the left of the pic:

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations. I love Princetons. They're great gigging amps.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hubberjub View Post
    Congratulations. I love Princetons. They're great gigging amps.
    Wow, that was a year ago! Financial reality came along and killed the idea. While I'd love a classic amp like the OP one, I can find some sweet tones from others.

Ah, but what am I GASing for now?
    Dr. Z M12 1x12 Combo
    It will take a while to save up, so I'll have time to decide on a color.

Post Thanks / Like

My apologies. I hadn't been here in a while and I assumed that since it was at the top of the list it was recent.
    Patrick