Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Scam alert!

Thread: Scam alert!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Scam alert!

I just had a call from a non native English speaker saying that their company servers have detected a "virus" or something being sent from my computer to their servers. They asked me to type some instructions into my windows "run" line (event***). When I said I would not do that the man called me a "bloody mother f*****" and then promptly hung up.

The noise in the background sounded like a call center, plenty of activity.

Do not follow these instructions or fall for this ploy. I tried calling the number back that was on my caller id and it was disconnected.

It's a SCAM.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wow, that's a technique we haven't seen much of. I guess the thousands of bankers/princes of Nigeria are getting desperate!

I'm glad your Spidey sense alerted you.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the alert!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Scam alert!

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe View Post
    Thanks for the alert!
    Yeah, there was an article on Ars Technica all about this and what they do. The Feds had gone after them. They called me too. Imagine their surprise because I have no Windows boxes.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

They were doing that in Australia for a while too, I've had maybe half a dozen of those calls over the last 4-5 years. I believe at one point they discovered many of these scams were being run out of a Microsoft contracted call center (that lost it's contract after of course.

I used to just say "I don't have a computer though" in a confused voice. That worked every time.