Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is a Sonic Maximizer?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What is a Sonic Maximizer?

Every once in a while I run across an ad for a BBE Sonic Maximizer.

I don't have a clue what it might do.

Does anyone?
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds pretty self expanatory to me tot_

Uh, I got nothing..

Post Thanks / Like

puzzling.....very puzzling....

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

It time aligns frequencies. I'm not sure which freqs get delayed but some do and it causes whatever you put through it to sound 10 times better.

I will ALWAYS use one on a PA system. It makes a budget system sound like a million bucks.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    It time aligns frequencies. I'm not sure which freqs get delayed but some do and it causes whatever you put through it to sound 10 times better.

I will ALWAYS use one on a PA system. It makes a budget system sound like a million bucks.
    What about through an amp? Does it make it sound 10 times better?
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the sonic stomp going through an amp, and it rocks...I strongly recommend it!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rabies
    I have the sonic stomp going through an amp, and it rocks...I strongly recommend it!!
    Do you use it in front of your AD30VT as well as your Valve Junior?

----------------------------------------------------------------

This is the only info that I've found as yet:

http://www.bbesound.com/faq/index.asp

as Warren sez: puzzling, very puzzling...

O, & if you want to drop some names:

http://www.bbesound.com/users/index.asp
    Last edited by tot_Ou_tard; December 27th, 2006 at 09:16 PM.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    Do you use it in front of your AD30VT as well as your Valve Junior?
    I have used it in front of the ad30vt, but it didn't really sound good. Sort of muddied it up, even after tweaking both quite a bit. Maybe it would work better with the vox if it had a loop. But through the VJ it's awesome.

I have really fallen out of love with the Vox...haven't played it in a long time. Someone needs to buy it from me!! The whole modeling thing is just not for me. Bought a Line 6 UX1 a while back, too. Haven't touched it in forever either. I'm just more of a "low-tech" kind of a guy I guess. There's just nothing better for me than some pedals into a tube amp!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Stompbox or rackmount? Thru the effects loop?

Sounds cool, no pun intended.

Trev
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

I have the BBE Sonic Stomp and I think it works best at the end of the signal chain (last effect.) YMMV of course
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stingx
    I have the BBE Sonic Stomp and I think it works best at the end of the signal chain (last effect.) YMMV of course
    Same way I use it...very end...and it really sounds great!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rabies
    Same way I use it...very end...and it really sounds great!
    It's very subtle but if you were to stop using it you would know right away
    To my ears it really does sound as if someone took the blanket off of the speaker and made the amp more pleasing to the ears. A great pedal and I would buy it again if it were lost, broken, or stolen.

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, it's subtle until you turn it off. Then it becomes dramatic.

When I plug up, and turn on, I have to make myself wait a little while until I turn it on, so's I don't get too addicted to it. I play a little while without it. This also makes me appreciate it a little more!

Post Thanks / Like

Rabies, I was thinking of adding a compressor to my rig. Have you tried the BBE Opto Compressor? I haven't run into one in a store to try. I was thinking of ordering a Keeley Compressor but if the BBE box does a good job I can save some cash-o-la.

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

No I haven't. I'm not a big fan of compressors. I recently just let go of my Dano compressor. I've been thinking about trying some of their other stomp boxes though. I figure if this one rocks so much, why couldn't others?

But I could see them sucking too. I mean, BBE is known for their Sonic Maximizer, right? Of course the Sonic Stomp is gonna be great. Not so sure on the others.

I've been curious about the two dirt boxes they make...the Green Screamer, and the black metal distortion thingie they have (the name slips my mind at the moment).

Post Thanks / Like

Ah...DIRT! Ok Rabies, if you want dirt then you need to pick up one of these:

http://www.pedalspluseffectswarehous..._p/hao-rd1.htm

I also own the limited edition Rust Booster II but that's a whole different animal. I can't recommend either enough!

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by t_ross33
    Stompbox or rackmount? Thru the effects loop?

Sounds cool, no pun intended.

Trev
    Originally I used a BBE rackmount sonic maximizer on my PA systems. I had one channel go bad so I bought the Behringer equivalent. It's a 2 channel unit and worth every penny of it's meager price and then some.

I run it as the final unit right before the power amps after the eq, and compressor. Signal looks like this: (mono out of mixer)>EQ>Compressor>Sonic Maximizer.

When you turn it off is when it is most noticeable. I immediately rush to turn it back on because the system sounds SOOOOO much better with it on. I always use it with a PA no matter what.

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a difference between the sonic stomp & the rackmount sonic maximizers in terms of sound.

Are the rack units meant to go before a full spectrum speaker & the stomp before a guitar amp speaker?
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    Is there a difference between the sonic stomp & the rackmount sonic maximizers in terms of sound.

Are the rack units meant to go before a full spectrum speaker & the stomp before a guitar amp speaker?
    That is a perfect question to ask BBE. I imagine the concept is the same, but with the guitar pedal possibly being more tuned to guitar frequencies and not having to cover the whole spectrum like a rack mount would.

The rack will work with any instrument, but I don't know about the stomp pedal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast