Thread: Which classical guitar should I buy?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Which classical guitar should I buy?

Hello everyone. I am a new poster here. I was hoping someone could sway my decision. I am looking to pick up a cheap classical guitar for messing around with.

I have found two guitars near me being offered on Craigslist. One is a Yamaha C40 and the other is an Aria ak20.

I have never heard of the Aria guitar and I can't really find a whole lot of useful info online. It's also a bit more expensive than what the price for the yamaha is.

I've played electric guitar for a number of years and have a decent takamini steel string guitar. I wanted to get just a basic classical guitar to satisfy my interests so I don't really need to spend a lot on a fancier one.

Thanks for taking a look!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't expect much, tone-wise, from guitars that sell new for approximately $125. If either of these is selling used for maybe 50 bucks, and it's just for noodling on, maybe they're worth considering. I would assume that both are made in China or Indonesia or some such place overseas. Since the vibrational output of nylon strings is on the low side to start with, a good soundbox is necessary for a good sound.

These are just some thoughts, and I don't know a whole lot about classicals, except that I've played a few inexpensive ones - a few sounded really good; most sounded like crap.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Which classical guitar should I buy?

Yeah I understand that tonally they will be poor. But I don't need something incredible. The yamaha is $75 and the Aria 115. The aria is probably definitely not worth it then.
    If there is a quality entry level brand that someone personally likes I would be willing to check it out (used or not)

It really is only for noodling. I'm willing to invest in a nicer one later on if I find myself enjoying the classical guitar enough.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2