Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Bedroom tube amp!?!?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bedroom tube amp!?!?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bedroom tube amp!?!?

So I am in the market for a bedroom volume practice amp. Trying to keep it under $200 or so. I prefer it to be all tube but am open to suggestions. I'd really like something that breaks up nicely, ya know, with a nice bluesey growl to it. Am I asking too much here? Any suggestions? Sound off fretters!!

Post Thanks / Like

Get a Bugera BC15. They're only 100 bucks or so brand new, 12AX7. Use what you save to buy a nice OD pedal to stick in front of it & there you go.
    "Always go heavy on the effects and try to blind the audience with expensive gear." - hubberjub

I mean, no offense, but I don't really see why, like guitar players from Creed, or something like that, are on the cover of guitar magazines. Almost anybody can sit down and learn to play those songs.
    Dweezil Zappa

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'd consider a Laney Cub 15 since it has a .75 watt setting. I've never read a bad review on them. A 12" Celestion speaker, EL84 tubes, reverb, Gain, Treble, Middle, Bass, Volume and Tone controls. You don't see too many small amps with this much going on.
    http://www.americanmusical.com/Item-...m_medium=feed&

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would try to find a used Black Heart Little Giant. I really like that little amp.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

VOX AC4TV 10" combo with the attenuator that trims it down to 1/4W... simple, clean, warm and loves pedals.
    Nothing is anything until it is written. After that, it's everything.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    I'd consider a Laney Cub 15 since it has a .75 watt setting. I've never read a bad review on them. A 12" Celestion speaker, EL84 tubes, reverb, Gain, Treble, Middle, Bass, Volume and Tone controls. You don't see too many small amps with this much going on.
    http://www.americanmusical.com/Item-...m_medium=feed&

I had one of those for a while. Not bad at all and the <1w (as it was labelled on mine) was very handy. I think there's a review of mine somewhere in the archives here.

Post Thanks / Like

Sixstring did give a limit of $200 and the Laney Cub 15R comes in at twice that.....it also has EL84 tubes.

How about the Laney Cub 10 which comes in at $200 and has a pair of 6V6s for power???

http://www.zzounds.com/item--LNYCUB10

Post Thanks / Like

Bugera Vintage 5's are selling for 135.00 at Amazon right now. A couple of friends ordered them on Friday, so no tone reports yet.

"It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on the Bugera Vintage 5. Has a switch where you can go from 0.1W, 1W to 5 watts. Plus has a jack if you want to hook it up to a bigger cabinet. Real happy with mine.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all for your input. I had played the ac4 before and was really impressed, it had been at the top of my list before this post, but i was a bit curious as to what else to look at. Really liking the the bugera v5 too, wish i could find a place local to try one out first.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Bugera for $135?!? 0.1W, gain and reverb... Damn, that's tempting even though I own an AC4TV and I'm totally broke-@$$ right now.

Lots of Bugera demos on YouTube. Maybe I'll go watch a few...
    Nothing is anything until it is written. After that, it's everything.

Post Thanks / Like

Fender Super Champ or Vibro Champ XD both have tube power sections and dsp effects, and come in at well under $200 used.

Post Thanks / Like

If you haven't made your decision yet, why not consider just getting the last amph you'll ever want and paying for it just once? Think of the money saved over the coming years as you continually search for that "perfect" tone. It's for sale right now, and I think you'll agree it's a winner: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DUMBLE-OVERD...-/271149509473
    "Always go heavy on the effects and try to blind the audience with expensive gear." - hubberjub

I mean, no offense, but I don't really see why, like guitar players from Creed, or something like that, are on the cover of guitar magazines. Almost anybody can sit down and learn to play those songs.
    Dweezil Zappa

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

^

We also forgot about the Fender Vibro Champ XD, which is a simpler version of the Super Champ. They run about $150.

Post Thanks / Like

Zip, +1 on the dumble, but i unfortunatly already have 4 of em. They are just too loud and im trying to keep the kids asleep, ya know. I asked alex at dinner the other night if he'd make me a 5 watter, at first he laughed and then tried to stab me with a chopstick. It was most disconcerting let me tell ya!!!
    Last edited by sixstringdrug; February 7th, 2013 at 07:46 PM. Reason: addition

Post Thanks / Like

I picked up a Vibro Champ XD for $75 from craigslist. I'd sell mine for $150, no problem!
    Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Ultra; pretty red Squier Acoustic;
    Amps: Vox VT30;
    Pedals: Dunlop Fuzz Face; Dunlop Crybaby Wah
    My kids have: Squier Affinity Stratocaster MII; Fender G-DEC; Squire Acoustic; Jay Turser Strat-copy, Roland Cube amp

"I am a sworn enemy of the saccharine, and a believer in grace over karma." Bono 2001

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the input!!! I went down to guitar center today and bought a Bugera V5. On sale, floor model, $125 out the door. As soon as the munchkins go down for the night I will fire it up and let it rip!!! Review to follow

Post Thanks / Like

That Dumble went for $55,600.00. I got outbid by a measly hundred bucks.

Congrats on the Bug. I think you'll be pleased.

Dweezil Zappa

Post Thanks / Like

I am very disappointed in the sixteen Dumbles I own. I think they will be going on Ebay next week I hope I get my money back on them, I don't want to lose too much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast