Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Wife and son in car wreck. Scary but everyone is ok.

Thread: Wife and son in car wreck. Scary but everyone is ok.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Wife and son in car wreck. Scary but everyone is ok.

It was a pretty bad one. They hit black ice at freeway speeds heading into boise from the sun valley side. They were coming down the hill into town, fog was hitting, saw road flares, started to touch the brakes, then the car broke loose and was heading toward the fire truck that was there attending to 3 other accidents that already had occurred. She hit the fire truck with the passenger side behind my son in the front seat, then got spun around and hit or got hit by another truck in her driver's door. My son was not hurt and handled things like a champ (the son that you met, Mark). My wife ended up with 5 broken ribs (from the door being pushed in), and a bruised lung. She is still in the hospital at the major trauma center in Boise getting pain meds managed until she can be released, likely tomorrow. Sucks, but it could have been so, so much worse. The little Subaru Imprezza Outback is toast. You hear about these freeway accidents and wonder how they happen, but she said when she touched the brakes, the car (AWD with studs all around), took off like a hockey puck. Fortunately, she will be fine, and my son is just a bit sore.

Oh, and the seatbelts saved them. Wear 'em.

Scary pics located here:

http://www.ktvb.com/traffic/alerts/M...&img=0&c=y&c=y

Their car is the little bronze subaru (pics starting at 10) that is almost unrecognizable. Man. We were lucky. Thank God.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Oh man.....they were lucky. Prayers and mojo to you and your family.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Wife and son in car wreck. Scary but everyone is ok.

Good to hear everyone will be OK. Cars can be replaced. People, not so much. There's nothing worse than black ice.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It could have been so much worse. I hope she heals up soon.
    Hang in there in the meantime, Steve.

Post Thanks / Like

Goodness Steve, your family sure has had to grapple with more than your share of life/death confrontation recently. Thank God everyone walked away. You're blessed.
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Wife and son in car wreck. Scary but everyone is ok.

Oh man. Glad it went that well. Scary!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to read about the planned early release from the hospital. Best wishes for a smooth recovery to all - I am sure you are a bit bruised too.

Yes on safety belts, and also to modern car engineering, with the car being the one taking the damage...
    Less golf, more saxophone

Post Thanks / Like

OMG! That car was...I don't have a word for it. It's amazing they got out of it sort of okay.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I know how easily this can happen, happened once to us with a semi coming our way. Luckily we spun back across the road and landed in a snow bank. Prayers for your family!
    Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Ultra; pretty red Squier Acoustic;
    Amps: Vox VT30;
    Pedals: Dunlop Fuzz Face; Dunlop Crybaby Wah
    My kids have: Squier Affinity Stratocaster MII; Fender G-DEC; Squire Acoustic; Jay Turser Strat-copy, Roland Cube amp

"I am a sworn enemy of the saccharine, and a believer in grace over karma." Bono 2001

Post Thanks / Like

Geez, thank God it wasn't any worse! That Subaru is demolished! Your wife will be good & sore for a while, but she's a lucky woman compared to what could have been....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. That is really scary stuff.

I worry about things like this happening to my family. So good to see that they'll be alright.

My truck has some sort of stability control/traction control system. Just for S&G's I've pushed it on an icy parking lot. Didn't seem to do much but make some clicking noises.

I'm guessing air bags helped a lot in that crash.

Post Thanks / Like

Dang Steve. Prayers and mojo mate!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NWBasser View Post
    W
    I'm guessing air bags helped a lot in that crash.
    Thanks all. Actually, the air bags did not deploy. It was a nearly rear, then side impact, and the car is a 2000 so I don't know if the sensors are designed to fire them off for that type of impact, but in any case, they did not go. Gwen's injuries were from the impact near her door. I don't think the airbag would have helped.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Man! Thank God your family is going to be okay! Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery for your wife, Steve.

Post Thanks / Like

Whew! Steve.awful and amazing nobody was killed.have always hated black ice.(thinking back in Chicago)hang in there champ.
    Life is like a camera, just focus on what’s important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don’t work out, just take another shot. ~ Anonymous

Guitars: 1967(year they came out): Fender Coronado II Wildwood I ,Fullerton ST- 4 Fat Strat , Esteban Legacy acous/elec,99 MIA Standard Fender Strat
    Amph's Original Roland Cube 15,Drive 30 w/spring reverb

Post Thanks / Like

Hang in there Steve, someone was watching over your family. Hope everyone will be healed up soon. God bless!!

Post Thanks / Like

That's just terrifying. Very glad it wasn't worse. All the best in your family's collective recovery from this trauma.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

Thats scary looking ! Hope everyone is ok or atleast will be!!

Post Thanks / Like

Dear God! Glad that everyone is OK, Steve. You all must be counting your blessings and looking at each other in a different light today...