Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
NBD Five

Thread: NBD Five

Post Thanks / Like

Default NBD Five

Ah, I guess it had to happen at some point in time. After playing four-string basses for 30 years, I finally took the plunge for a fiver.

The new jazz/fusion group has some material that seems well-suited to those lower notes. And so I went off trying various fives including and MTD, a Yamaha, and the one that screamed "take me home!" - a new model G&L M2500. It has the "Godzilla on crack" punchy MFD pickups into a new proprietary G&L three-band preamp. Still trying to get used to the narrow string spacing though. And the heavier weight.

Without further ado - a pic!

The cherry whatever-it-is probably isn't my first color choice, but it sounds and plays so nice that I can live with it fine.

On a side note, the bass cab beneath the H&K is an Avatar TB153 with the king dog of all 15 bass woofers, the Eminence 3015 LF. The 3015 LF has about twice the x-max (movement back and forth, think suspension travel) of a regular 15. Since the 15 doesn't handle mids so much, it has a dedicated 6-inch mid-driver for that. It wallops with the fiver.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: NBD Five

Cool! Enjoy the rumble... and the back issues :-)
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, those are heavy but they sure do sound nice. My original trio bassist had one and I loved the sounds he got. At rehearsals he'd stop after a while and take it off saying it was too heavy and his shoulder hurt...but he was kind of a weenie.

Anyway, congratulations on your new rumblestick.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful! Congratulations.

I played on a borrowed 5 string bass in my last stint with a country band. Every chance I got, I would hit that low B note and watch the walls shake.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Cool bass! I like it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The 4 string M2000 is getting some positive attention out there. I haz GAS!

Post Thanks / Like

You can get a white M2000 on sale now at MF for less than $400.

That seems an incredible deal to me. It's very, very cool bass!

Post Thanks / Like

Actually I like that burst, very subtle.

Congrats!

I've probably owned 8 or 9 basses over the years, but never a five-string.