Thread: Q for a life in music

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Q for a life in music

Hey guys, i'm going for a music major in collage. i know going for a associates degree at a community collage in music dosent pay the best in the world but i know free-lancing around and playing for gigs makes better money than a minimum wage job. Im going for brass major, playing trombone (Just because its what im most experienced in and most people go for a guitar or piano major) but i also enjoy playing guitar on the side, knowing a solid range of chords, soloing, sight-reading and chord progressions ( I teach myself most of the lessons for piano and music theory and transpose to guitar). I also sing a baritone range and was able to crack a audition with a major concert choir in the area and on the side get together with friends and enjoy singing and playing lead on guitar. I also have a pretty solid reputar with pop music (rock, oldies, regge, jazz, etc.) and also, every major has to know the piano inside and out.

what do you guys think about the music business (pop, classical, etc. music business) and how to get the most out of it, or your foot in the door? Or how to best apply a music degree? i know being a music teacher is the obvious choice, but im just not one of those people who wants the mediocre life (im assuming like the most of us.) Any personal experience? Anyone in a Current degree's insight would be helpful. im planning to go for a bachelors degree at a university in music but im hoping to figure out what to aim for when i got my associates.

Sorry if the question is a little broad but any insight, opinion, tips, etc. is greatly appreciated. Rock on!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Q for a life in music

With that range of musical abilities, I would suggest session play at a studio. There are many signed artists who started out as session layers, plus it's a regular wage in the meantime.

Post Thanks / Like

Work in as many projects as you possibly can, then find more. Always have multiple gigs planned out in advance. Control your spending, and stay out of debt. Get some solid tax advice from a qualified professional. If a contract is involved, don't sign ANYTHING until you have at least had a chance to read and understand every clause and sentence. Remember, if you ain't playing, you ain't eating. Beware of the "if you play this gig for free, you'll get some great exposure, and more paying gigs down the line" pitch.

Finally, have a backup plan for making money in case the gigs slow down. Be qualified in an in demand job field (computers or IT work comes to mind) to keep the money flowing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe View Post
    Work in as many projects as you possibly can, then find more. Always have multiple gigs planned out in advance. Control your spending, and stay out of debt. Get some solid tax advice from a qualified professional. If a contract is involved, don't sign ANYTHING until you have at least had a chance to read and understand every clause and sentence. Remember, if you ain't playing, you ain't eating. Beware of the "if you play this gig for free, you'll get some great exposure, and more paying gigs down the line" pitch.

Finally, have a backup plan for making money in case the gigs slow down. Be qualified in an in demand job field (computers or IT work comes to mind) to keep the money flowing.
    What is there to beware of "If you play this gig for free?" why tax advice form a qualified profession? and good call for not playing and not eating ha. Thanks again for the advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Photomike666 View Post
    With that range of musical abilities, I would suggest session play at a studio. There are many signed artists who started out as session layers, plus it's a regular wage in the meantime.
    How do i get around to that? Do you know friends or are you in the studio business? And whats the regular wage exactly or range? Thanks again for the advice

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NC Zeppelin View Post
    What is there to beware of "If you play this gig for free?" why tax advice form a qualified profession? and good call for not playing and not eating ha. Thanks again for the advice.
    As a musician, you'll be self employed. In the US, the rules for self employed individuals are different when it comes to income taxes. You'll need the advice of a good CPA to know what to file, and how often, for your taxes. Not filing, or filing tax returns incorrectly, can lead to a heap of trouble with the IRS. Fees, interest and penalties can pile up faster than you would think possible if you file wrong.

There will be a good percentage of offers from people for you to play free gigs, in return for exposure to a large group of people attending whatever function you'll be asked to play. It might seem like a good idea, but consider that if you're good, the person that asked you to play for free will likely brag to others how he or she snagged your talent for nothing. It can lead to the expectation that you'll be available to play other gigs for free, too. Working on your own as a musician is as much a business as it is about performing.

The community college I attended had a fantastic music program. One of my instructors was a working musician. Your professor might be able to point you in the right direction for gigs. Also, take the time during your free time to go where musicians hang out in your town and start networking. Make friends with others in your community, and they will be naturally inclined to recommend you for gigs.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

I'll add that playing with several bands is a good way to go, too. Answer a few Craigslist ads 'Looking for rhythm guitarist', 'Need lead guitarist with vocals', Wanted: 'Bone player for weekend gigs with small jazz outfit'.....not only can you make good pocket money, you'll expand your repertoire, network with tons of working musicians, and when bigger money gigs become available your phone number will be near the top of people's list to call. And that's how I started doing studio work back in the day, was playing on other people's projects. I played a lot of music that I would never listen to...hated even playing it. But it was money, and taught me a lot.
    "Always go heavy on the effects and try to blind the audience with expensive gear." - hubberjub

I mean, no offense, but I don't really see why, like guitar players from Creed, or something like that, are on the cover of guitar magazines. Almost anybody can sit down and learn to play those songs.
    Dweezil Zappa