Quote Originally Posted by Tio Kimo View Post
at the risk of thread veer, may I ask what is this regarding string spacing? I'm aware that, like on guitars, there are different scale lengths, but what's this about spacing?

I'm still bassless...(oh my GF would love to hear me say that out loud) and nearly plunge regularly. Part of the reason I don't is my ignorance. P style, J style, scale, NOW spacing..... I still love the Idea of a full scale semi (a la 335) just because....

Why should I care? What's the deal?

Maybe NWbasser...start a thread on the basics of bass options or something. I'd read it.

I'm this/close to a hollow bodied washburn, full scale, with humbuckers and piezo. It's beautiful and CHEAP. Hanging right next to it was the coolest mustard colored Tele bodied MIJ bass with a single neck pickup. I'd go for that but it was NOT cheap. I'm using simple cosmetics and build quality as my criteria, cuz technically I have no idea.

FWIW... the tele bass i refered to looked exactly like the one on the left, said "precision" on the headstock. and MIJ at the heel.

The bass on the left is a 50s-style precision bass. I think they went to the split humbucker in the 60s -- all of my knowledge of this is based on the Squier Classic Vibe basses, since they have 50s and 60s models. There is such a thing as a telecaster bass though:

The string spacing thing is particularly pronounced in my case, since my one bass is an Ibanez SR1000 (super-weenie neck, both narrow and thin) and the other is a fairly chunky precision bass. I'm not super-nimble on the fretboard, so the extra space between strings helps me not accidentally hit other strings when doing something like a pull-off, where my finger is moving across the fretboard in the plucking motion.

I also like a warmer tone versus a cutting one, so the single neck pickup on a P is a little more normal to me than a bridge pickup. I haven't yet found a good use for a bridge bass pickup (the Ibanez has both).

NWB may have lots of excess bass knowledge, but he single-handedly guided me through buying a head and cab via craigslist, so at least you have a great resource on this forum.