Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NBD: MIM Precision

Post Thanks / Like

You are correct sir........I was a tad "verklempt" trying to put it into words. You want "thicker" strings on the shorter scale and "thinner" strings on the long scale. That part I got right. lolol

Post Thanks / Like

Right....I'm sorry for my poor progression and muddying the waters.

Sticking with basses/spacing....Rev answered the basic question of what the variances are, and where they TYPICALLY appear.

are there advantages other than comfort/preference for different scale length on a bass? Are there applications for one length as opposed to another?

Where does the venerable Rickenbacker 4001 fall in this discussion? Full scale? Wide nut?
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Eric! I have a Squier P also, though mine is a stock '80's MIJ.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tio Kimo View Post
    Right....I'm sorry for my poor progression and muddying the waters.

Sticking with basses/spacing....Rev answered the basic question of what the variances are, and where they TYPICALLY appear.

are there advantages other than comfort/preference for different scale length on a bass? Are there applications for one length as opposed to another?

Where does the venerable Rickenbacker 4001 fall in this discussion? Full scale? Wide nut?
    Most 4-string basses are 34" scale with the odd 35" here and there like the Peavey Cirrus. Fivers are divided between either 34" or 35" scale length with the longer scale reportedly giving a "tighter" B-string.

Ricks are an oddball at, I believe 33", and have a fairly wide nut on the 4001. The neck on a 4001 is pretty chunky and has similarities to a P-bass. You can get shorter scale basses at 30". Not my cup of tea, but some folks like 'em. Actually a short-scale might be good choice for someone coming from guitar-land.

The string spacing at the bridge for 4-stringers are usually around 19 mm and you'll sometimes find tigher spacing on fives. My G&L five is pretty tight and it's taking some getting used to.

Neck width is a pretty big thing for bass with the two most common widths being the 1.5" (jazz bass) and 1.75" (precision bass). The only way to know which one will work best for you is to play a few to see which one is more comfortable. Even though I have big hands, the narrower jazz neck suits me. One thing about a jazz bass is that the strings are pretty widely-separated at the bridge and then seriously taper down at the nut. I think Eric's Ibanez keeps a fairly narrow spacing all the way across, like Alembics do.

Pickup choices for basses are vast and I can write more about that later.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NWBasser View Post
    Ricks are an oddball at, I believe 33", and have a fairly wide nut on the 4001. The neck on a 4001 is pretty chunky and has similarities to a P-bass. You can get shorter scale basses at 30". Not my cup of tea, but some folks like 'em. Actually a short-scale might be good choice for someone coming from guitar-land.
    I believe Mr. Tigford's recently-acquired Squier Jag bass is a 30" scale. Perhaps he will weigh in with how it plays/feels relative to the clunkier 34" scales.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I believe Mr. Tigford's recently-acquired Squier Jag bass is a 30" scale. Perhaps he will weigh in with how it plays/feels relative to the clunkier 34" scales.
    Yep, it has a 30" scale which is super easy to play. It has been so long since I had a 34" scale, I'm not qualified to compare with one.
    When I changed the stock .040-.095 strings, I moved up one size to a set of .045-.100's without any noticeable difficulty.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12