Thread: NBD: MIM Precision

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    It's weird: I'm much more holistic when it comes to bass. By that I mean that I go considerably less by specs and instead just kind of work off of what I hear and feel. Perhaps that means I care less. I think it's mostly a product of me going spec-hunting with guitars for many years and ultimately determining that it doesn't matter as much as I might have thought at one time. I'm happy to just look for good deals and go with what feels good on bass.
    I think that with me it's just that I was fortunate enough to get a very nice bass pretty early on (MIA Peavey Fury). I started in 1986 which mercifully was before the dawn of the Intarwebs so I didn't have thousands of sites to peruse with conflicting information. Plus my options were much more limited than they are today. What the couple of shops nearby had, was what I had to choose from.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post
    I think that with me it's just that I was fortunate enough to get a very nice bass pretty early on (MIA Peavey Fury). I started in 1986 which mercifully was before the dawn of the Intarwebs so I didn't have thousands of sites to peruse with conflicting information. Plus my options were much more limited than they are today. What the couple of shops nearby had, was what I had to choose from.
    Just in case you thought of it this way, I should clarify: I meant that I'm much more do-I-like-this about bass than I am about guitar, not necessarily compared to other people. I think knowledge is good, but I just find myself fairly apathetic when it comes to knowing a lot about basses, where I was always fairly interested in understanding guitars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

I think knowledge is good, but I just find myself fairly apathetic when it comes to knowing a lot about basses, where I was always fairly interested in understanding guitars.
    That's probably a good thing Eric. I probably know a little too much about basses which has led to a current collection of six. I have some redundancy going on now and need to pare things down.

Oh yeah, Happy New Bass Day!

And, how 'bout some pics of the new rig?

Post Thanks / Like

Just in case you thought of it this way, I should clarify: I meant that I'm much more do-I-like-this about bass than I am about guitar, not necessarily compared to other people. I think knowledge is good, but I just find myself fairly apathetic when it comes to knowing a lot about basses, where I was always fairly interested in understanding guitars.
    I understood. I just gave the reason why _I_ seem to care much less about bass specifics than guitar. Of course that's easy for me to say now. I've got a bass where if I don't like the tone, a brand new one is just a knob twaddle away. The fact that I got it inexpensively makes it even better!
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn