Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
My Picking Technique Has Gone to Hell (tm)

Thread: My Picking Technique Has Gone to Hell (tm)

Post Thanks / Like

Default My Picking Technique Has Gone to Hell (tm)

I just got my free Hell picks in the mail from syo. I don't have a ton of time to mess with them since today is Ash Wednesday thus I've got an extra service tonight (I'll let the whole "Hell" irony sink in here), but here's a quick overview:

There are three picks in the package: 1mm, 2mm, and 3.2mm. They are roughly the same size as a black Dunlop Jazz III XL, although not as pointy. The XL is in between the 1 and 2mm in thickness and also in stiffness. One thing you notice right away is the texture. The pick feels satiny. There is an indentation on the one side and grips on both sides for your thumb and index finger.

If you don't like the "plink" that a V-Pick makes when you strike the string, these picks definitely don't have that. The attack is much more muted, even more than the Jazz III. That doesn't equal "dull" by any means. The satiny finish makes the picks glide across the strings very easily. I'll have to brush up on my sweeping technique to give them a proper test. I might prefer them to be a bit pointier at the tip. Too early to tell if that will be an issue or not.

My issue with non-V-Picks is that since I am devoid of my first three fingertips on my right hand, Fenders and Dunlops just want to spin when I'm playing. The V-Picks have that "grippiness" to them that I really like. It will be interesting to see if the grips combined with the satin finish on these Hell picks will enable me to stay in control. I will also be interested to see how well they wear. If nothing else, they'll be easier to find when I drop one than my clear V-Picks. More detailed impressions to follow . . .
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Cool deal. I generally dislike the sound of pick attack, so these sound good. Then again, I've never really been dissatisfied with tortex/ultex/celluloid, so maybe I'm just not very "picky."
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I love them. I've been using ever since they were brought from Hell to me.

You are right on about the muted attack - that's perhaps the best part! I like the grip of course, and that goes for V-picks too, but these ones provide a better tone. No "plinky-plink" tone here.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Good deal, Reverend. Thanks for your first impressions. I'll look forward to hearing more from you as well as from those of you out there who received the picks.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine arrived yesterday as well. In fact, I received only two items in the mail yesterday, these really really ugly picks and the latest issue of Fretboard Journal, and no junk mail OR bills!

If that alone wasn't enough to put me in a great mood, these things are great! They almost have a rubbery feel to them. That, combined with the lack of sound when hitting the string fooled my brain (not that difficult, but I digress) , I was sure I was losing some brightness to the sound. So I kept going back and forth, strum a nice open E with the Screamer, quick switch, strum with the hellish pick....it was all there, no loss. And as Rev says, they are smooth off the string, no friction or resistance, which the texture tells my brain to anticipate. I love 'em. took them to practice. last night and played for two hours straight on the tele with 11's. No slippage. I like the indentation on one side with the ridges opposed, seems to work well.

the lightest pick (1mm) seems great on the acoustics, although that was only a quick 10 minute sample. I seemed to gravitate to the 2mm over the 3mm on the electric...we'll see.

Another homerun SYO, who'd a thunk you could create an original, unique pick...You do seem to be on a roll.
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

I'm finding myself gravitating towards the big 3.2mm one, somewhat to my surprise. I'm finding it easier to control. My skin is so dry with winter upon us that pick control is an issue. That's where V-Picks shine. Listening to the guitar acoustically, the attack sound is monumentally different between the two. Which one you prefer will be a matter of personal preference. I need more time to play.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I finally got a chance to listen through my amp at decent volumes today, both with my Jackson and my Squier. With a lot of gain, the difference is more subtle. The V-Pick seems to have a greater immediacy in the attack. Tone differences become much greater the cleaner you play. The Hells are almost like you turned back the tone knob a little ways. Jazz guys would probably love these.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post
    Jazz guys would probably love these.
    Interesting. I know they resemble some jazz pick though I personally don't find they play like them.
    Funny enough we have found lots of fans amongst shredders. Go figure...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I spent an hour with mine yesterday and was surprised that the thin one became my favorite. I used to like a thicker pick like a Duncan Stubby 2.0 or some of the V-picks. The Duncan Ultex's have become my favorite the last 12 months. I would play the same chords or a one string solo with each Hell pick and the thin one sounded and felt the best.

As far as the attack Marnold mentions, I felt and heard a little of that, but only with the thicker picks. Try the thin pick at a 45 degree angel and your speed picks up dramatically, too. See if it does the same for you, Marnold.
    More research on the way...
    Life is difficult.

Post Thanks / Like

Received my package from Hell yesterday too. Not played them a whole lot yet, but my first impressions "REALLY LOVE 'EM". The feel is exceptional. Like the indentation for the thumb as well. Haven't put on the strings yet. Thanks for the freebies syo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by riverrick View Post
    Received my package from Hell yesterday too. Not played them a whole lot yet, but my first impressions "REALLY LOVE 'EM". The feel is exceptional. Like the indentation for the thumb as well. Haven't put on the strings yet. Thanks for the freebies syo.
    I like the thumb indention on one side, but love the diagonal grip pattern on the other side. I've never held a pick with such a secure feeling grip. Huge bonus points there!

Post Thanks / Like

I got the Hell picks, too!

First impression: All of the thicknesses are very, very good. The material, along with the bevel on the edges, lends itself handily to smooth picking, and less noise. I can see why shredders would love these. I have not yet played a pick that are as "grippy" as these are. My thumb locked into the indentations on the back of the pick, and that's where it stayed. WELL DONE, SYO!

Post Thanks / Like

OK, since the freebies are all claimed, is it possible to buy these picks anywhere? I'd love to try them after all the great reports! Thanks, SYO!

Post Thanks / Like

I think that it's come down to this for me. In general with my typical amounts of 80s-level-metal gain, the Hell picks are a bit dark for my tastes. I like the extra attack that a V-Pick gives. Conversely, for extreme clean, I think I prefer the Hell picks. They don't have the plinkiness that the V-Picks can have clean. The way they glide across the strings makes six-string strumming a breeze. The 2mm is growing on me, but I still like the big ol' 3.2mm a bit better.

Bottom line: will the Hell picks make me give up my V-Pick Screamer? No. The Screamer will remain my shredder/rawk pick of choice. Will I use the Hell picks? Absolutely, for cleans anyway. Would I buy more? Yes. I'd definitely take the Hell picks over Fenders, Dunlops, etc.