Thread: Shorting input jack

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shorting input jack

My output jack socket was loose and the cable kept dropping out. The movement was also affecting sound quality, so I purchased a new jack.

I wanted a Switchcraft gold long body version, but my local shop didn't have a Switchcraft one. I purchased an unknown brand equivalent & soldered it up myself.

I plug in and get huge buzzing, to the point you can't hear any music.

Today I required the jack socket making sure everything was A1. I went through with a circuit tester and there is a short in the plug (plugged in cable, got signal from each solder point to both sides of the cable unplugged end).

Is it likely it was a dud jack socket, or more likely I overheated it when soldering?

I am about to embark on a number of upgrades, and don't want to fry all the components

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Shorting input jack

I can't imagine overheating a jack. Did you try it with a different cable just to be sure?
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely shorting out somewhere. Output jack to where? Speaker?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shorting input jack

The short is in the guitar jack socket. I get signal from the pos (+) wire out of the guitar to both inner and outer casing of the jack socket simultaneously. Same for the neg wire. Either I screwed up the soldering (there is no short across the terminals) or the socket is duff.

I have ordered a new set of electronics - 5 way switch, pots, caps, wiring & shielding. I have two new humbuckers to buy and everything will be new. I'm sure it's not worth spending so much on a cheap guitar, but my next rig will have active EMGs and this will be my passive "Maiden" sound with hot rail humbuckers.