Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Acoustic-Electric advice needed.... - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Acoustic-Electric advice needed....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    I have been interested in reading about your experience with the Masterbilt. Has it not arrived yet? It seems like it has been a while. It definitely will be interesting to hear about the new Epi, for sure.
    Yep, it arrived on Fri. Mar. 3. I am very pleased with the guitar and have been playing it a lot. It's got a really nice, rich dreadnought tone, it plays great, and the workmanship is excellent. The cosmetic "defects" are ridiculously minor, so getting $175 off the going price of $600 was a killer of a deal. It had just one issue that bothered me a bit--the saddle seemed very high to me, protruding almost 3/8" above the bridge piece. That translated to a rather high action once you got up around the cutaway. The neck relief was fine, so it was really just a saddle height issue. The saddle actually leaned slightly back toward the neck from the string pressure, so I was also concerned that it might be stressed to the point of cracking at some time in the future.

I really didn't want to fool around with that myself, so I took it to a local luthier who was highly recommended to me by a guitar-playing coworker. The guy is the authorized Martin warranty service rep for this area and also builds guitars, and really knows his stuff. I brought it over to him and he worked on it while I sat there & chatted with him. When he measured it, it turned out that the string height at the twelfth fret was pretty close to right on spec on the bass side, but a bit high on the treble side, so he removed the saddle and sanded off a bit diagonally toward the treble side. In the process, he found that the factory had installed a couple of thin shims under the saddle in the bridge slot, beneath the Nanoflex pickup strip. We decided to take one out, to lower the saddle in the slot a bit. This dropped the string height slightly below spec, but no buzzing occurred, so that's the way we left it. This noticeably improved the action up around the cutaway, and the lean of the saddle is much reduced. The guitar plays like butter now--very comfortable when playing for an extended amount of time, even for a soft-fingered electric guy like me.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman View Post
    The guitar plays like butter now--very comfortable when playing for an extended amount of time, even for a soft-fingered electric guy like me.
    Cool deal, DVM. When are you going to have it in action? That's the fun part!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Cool deal, DVM. When are you going to have it in action? That's the fun part!
    I used in in our second praise band rehearsal this past Saturday--got compliments on how good the guitar sounded. The first Sunday we're scheduled to play is the week after Easter, Apr. 7th.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman View Post
    I used in in our second praise band rehearsal this past Saturday--got compliments on how good the guitar sounded. The first Sunday we're scheduled to play is the week after Easter, Apr. 7th.
    Rawk! I was hoping we would be playing on the same day, but I'll be running sound that day instead of playing. I guess you'll have to rock twice as hard for me!

I'm of the impression that tone compliments are usually due at least 50% to the person making the sounds, so that's some nice feedback.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123