Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Acoustic-Electric advice needed....
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Acoustic-Electric advice needed....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Acoustic-Electric advice needed....

Our church is in the process of adding a second praise band with some of us "oldsters", since about 2/3 of the current band will be heading off to college next fall. I need to pick up a decent acoustic-electric for this purpose; I want a dreadnought style body with a cutaway and wish to keep the fiscal damage to $500 or less. Poking around online and paying attention to price, features and customer satisfaction/feedback, a couple of models that seem to stand out to me at this point are the Seagull Entourage Rustic CW QIT ($500) and the Washburn WD25SCE ($400). I'm interested in any feedback on these two makes & models, plus any other pertinent info/recommendations that meet the above criteria. TIA!!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Acoustic-Electric advice needed....

The only advice I can offer is that the Washburn that my son bought is really nice, both acoustically and amplified. It's a slightly lower end model than the one you mention. It probably won't be mistaken for a Martin, but it doesn't cost nearly as much. In a band context I'm not sure the average person would know or care.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Rev. Yeah, I'm certainly not looking for Martin levels of quality or price! Just a well-made instrument with good sound, acoustically & electrically, and easy to play.

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

My son's Washburn has all of that. Really fun to play. I don't know if the shop we bought it from did much setup on it before they put it out, but I certainly didn't have to do anything to it.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Waitin' on some feedback from the Canuck Fretter contingent on the Seagull, since it's 100% Canadian made....

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Check out the Ibanez EW20ASE NT (quilted ash body). I have one, and it gets more play time than more expensive lumber I own. The notch filter is very usable, great projection, woody tones, and looks pretty nifty too. Here's what they look like---->here (not my sale, BTW).
    "Always go heavy on the effects and try to blind the audience with expensive gear." - hubberjub

I mean, no offense, but I don't really see why, like guitar players from Creed, or something like that, are on the cover of guitar magazines. Almost anybody can sit down and learn to play those songs.
    Dweezil Zappa

Post Thanks / Like

Seagulls are nice, good-sounding guitars, but I advise that you check out the neck first. Even though the Entourage series has the narrower nut width of 1.72" (other Seagulls are 1.8), it's still a bit wider than many other guitars, and the profile is a bit strange, kinda fat-shouldered. I have an A&L dread with the same neck, and have never been able to bond with it, due to the neck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zip View Post
    Check out the Ibanez EW20ASE NT (quilted ash body). I have one, and it gets more play time than more expensive lumber I own. The notch filter is very usable, great projection, woody tones, and looks pretty nifty too. Here's what they look like---->here (not my sale, BTW).
    Thats a really good looking acoustic! I like the price too! What I found out after purchasing two acoustics online (im hard to train) is that the guitars were nothing that I expected and I ended up getting rid of both. The only way to buy an acoustic/electric is to go to the music store and pick it up and play it. Im lucky enough to have a Guitar Center close buy so I can put hands on most makes and models. That is where I learned that even some of the more expensive models were total crap while some of the cheaper models like the Ibanez can have a really comfortable out of the box feel and sound.

Post Thanks / Like

How about this one duhvoodooman... http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store...84-i2948232.gc

Post Thanks / Like

Guess I'm definitely gonna need to head up to my favorite local guitar emporium and try a few of these. I generally know what to expect from the better known brands of electrics. But on these acoustic-electrics....not so much.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I think Seagull, Washburn, and Ibanez artwood (or those exotic wood ones that were mentioned above) are all good. The Seagulls I've played don't project very well, but they're nice and warm, which is what I usually go for. I usually plug in anyway, so volume isn't a big deal -- I just don't know that I'd use one if I was in a bluegrass band.

The nicer Takamines are also good to play. Some people do dislike the necks on Seagulls, so I would make sure you like it before plopping down the cash. Personally, I like the neck a lot on the regular ol' S6 that I have.

If you want to fit in with the current church trends, go for Taylor or Breedlove. I've always been a little underwhelmed by Breedlove though. Nice guitars, but they don't really blow me away when factoring in price.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody have any experience with the Epiphone Masterbilt series, specifically the DR-500MCE model? I'm reading a lot of good things about these guitars--excellent workmanship & quality, impressive sounding 2-pickup eSonic2 electronics, and 100% solid wood construction. There are some good deals ($400 - $450) on this normally $600 guitar on eBay for factory seconds due to cosmetic blemishes.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

The deal is done!

Went to my local GC tonight and played a bunch of guitars, including the Epi Masterbilt DR-500MCE, Seagull Entourage, a couple of Yamahas, an Ibanez, a Taylor 110CE, a Martin, and a Breedlove. Those last three were all in the $800 range, more than I intended to spend, but I wanted to compare them. My clear favorite? The Epi Masterbilt, hands down, even ignoring the price difference. Very comfortable neck that felt like an old friend, beautiful rich dreadnought tone, beautiful looking guitar (had the natural top, not the burst), played great, and I was really impressed with the sound of the electronics. The two different pickups that can be used separately or blended together is a very cool feature and gives the guitar tremendous tonal flexibility. Second choice for me was the Taylor--it played very well and I found that neck extremely comfortable, too. But I wasn't quite as keen on its brighter tone, though it's extremely articulate. Electronics sounded good, but not up to the level of the Epi.

So I promptly hopped in my car, drove home and bought a new factory second that I had checked out this afternoon on eBay. Has a couple of very minor cosmetic defects (shown in photos), but the seller has impeccable ratings, there's a 14-day money-back guarantee, and I only had to pay $415 including shipping. Also got a well-rated Guardian HSC for an additional $60. So $475 for the whole enchilada, nicely staying within my $500 budget limit. I'm a happy camper! The eBay auction is here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=121071511601

Will post more when it arrives....

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on your git. Epi's have come a long way. Uh-oh......since you got something to ADD to your collection......does that mean something has to bite the dust and leave the fold??? Parting is such sweet sorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by piebaldpython View Post
    Uh-oh......since you got something to ADD to your collection......does that mean something has to bite the dust and leave the fold???
    Nope, not this time--special exemption from the "1-in-1-out" rule since the guitar is for the church praise band.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

That's nice that you found a guitar that will work. What sort of songs will you be playing? Playing with other people is fun, if occasionally frustrating.
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Congrats!! Glad you found one you liked! Acoustics seem to be very personal preferences to me. Especially not plugged in. Glad that Masterbilt worked out for you!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    What sort of songs will you be playing?
    Contemporary praise music, mostly. A lot of the Hillsong stuff, if you're familiar with that.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman View Post
    Contemporary praise music, mostly. A lot of the Hillsong stuff, if you're familiar with that.
    Definitely. It's hard not to be familiar with that music these days. That should be a fun outlet for you; do you have all of the necessary musicians?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast