Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL 2013 [American Football]

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Nice! Sorry for the Bucs, but I was hoping for some help on the line. I hope we pick up some offensive line too. I like Wilson's courageous play in the open field, but I would love for him to have the option to stay in the pocket, or at least well protected behind the line, at times.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

IGGLES announced yesterday that they would no longer have their summer camp/training season 70 miles away from Philly at bucolic Lehigh University in Bethlehem PA as they have done for many a year. IGGLES feel that they are better served by their vastly superior facilities at the Stadium here in town. They also mentioned that 20 other teams have made similar decisions regarding their training camp sites in recent years. It makes sense and is perfectly logical.

Still.........it's a shame because the training camp injected a certain amount of money into the community though not nearly on the scale of baseball's training camps. They would draw some decent crowds at training camp.

Post Thanks / Like

The biggest news out of the Bucs this past week at the owner's meetings was owner Malcolm Glazer telling the Tampa Tribune that there was no chance he would consider relocating the Bucs, quashing rumors that have been gaining strength as attendance has struggled.

Glazer sounded like an owner that understands that his team in is in a state that's been hit particularly hard by the recession. Hopefully both the team and the economy will continue to trend upwards.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Looks like Matt Flynn is heading to the Raiders. Seems to me like the correct move. It is nice to have a guy like Flynn still in the stable, but that was an awful lot of dough to pay for a backup QB.

Also, Coach Carroll seems to want to move in the direction of a backup more similar in style to Wilson:

Carroll also said he’d like to add a backup quarterback with a similar skill set as Wilson. Possible veterans with the ability to run the read option include Tyler Thigpen, Colt McCoy and Vince Young.

From The Tacoma News Tribune.
    Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2013/0...#storylink=cpy
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw View Post
    Looks like Matt Flynn is heading to the Raiders. Seems to me like the correct move. It is nice to have a guy like Flynn still in the stable, but that was an awful lot of dough to pay for a backup QB.

Also, Coach Carroll seems to want to move in the direction of a backup more similar in style to Wilson:

Carroll also said he’d like to add a backup quarterback with a similar skill set as Wilson. Possible veterans with the ability to run the read option include Tyler Thigpen, Colt McCoy and Vince Young.

From The Tacoma News Tribune.
    Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2013/0...#storylink=cpy
    I still consder Vince Young a potential starting prospect. If he can stay in shape and commit to staying engaged, I think he still has a tremendous skill-set and a pretty solid resume of winning NFL games. Personally, I think brings more to the table than some of the other guys that will be starting for NFL teams this season.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I still really hope the Seahawks continue to shore up both sides of the line. I would love to see a fairly dominant front offensive line, and see how the strength there could open up the games of the backfield and receivers even more.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Flynn to the Raiders is official. Reportedly, Seattle gets back a fifth rounder in 2014 and a conditional pick in 2015. Still better than paying him starter money to carry a clipboard.

Post Thanks / Like

A few Bucs' signings today.

First they signed RB Brian Leonard (formerly of the Bengals). This adds depth behind Doug Martin and makes it clearer that LeGarrette Blount is on the trading block.

Second, and this one made me very happy though it's not a player guaranteed to even make the roster. On Tuesday they will sign DE George Selvie, most recently of the Jaguars. Though not a consistent player yet in his three years in the NFL, Selvie is a USF graduate, the stud of the defense prior to the arrival of Jason Pierre-Paul. He will have the fans behind him in training camp and the preseason for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

A couple more Bucs' signings today.

First is WR Steve Smith. The Steve Smith formerly of the Giants, Eagles and Rams, not the Steve Smith from the Panthers. Still, this Steve Smith is a solid route runner in the slot, and will add nice depth at the position. Plus, he will be working again with his WR coach from the Giants, Steve Sulllivan, now OC for the Bucs.

The second signing is K Nate Kaeding. Not sure I get this one. Connor Barth is a perfectly good kicker and they signed him to a big extension last year. It's not a move to cut Barth and save his salary. The Bucs are still plenty flexible with cap space. Third most to spend last I checked.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There was a rumor circulating the internet sports talk sites the last couple days that the Seahawks might be interested in Tebow as a backup QB. I am not buying it. Too much money vs. other prospects out there. Plus, Carroll was critical of the distraction Tebow's arrival caused for his former college QB Sanchez when the Jets brought him over.

BTW, I am going to read up about, and pay attention to the Bucs this year, so I can follow what R_of_G is following. Plus, the Bucs were the other expansion team that came onto the scene the same year as the Seahawks, so it will be interesting from that perspective.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw View Post
    There was a rumor circulating the internet sports talk sites the last couple days that the Seahawks might be interested in Tebow as a backup QB. I am not buying it. Too much money vs. other prospects out there. Plus, Carroll was critical of the distraction Tebow's arrival caused for his former college QB Sanchez when the Jets brought him over.
    I don't see Carroll or the Seahawks organization going in for that sideshow nonsense. It's entirely possible that Wilson will go through some setbacks in his second season. Many young QBs do, and he overachieved big time for a rookie last year. What he needs this year is an organization and fan-base that will stand behind him and let him play through any growing pains and learn from his mistakes to develop as a franchise QB. Add Tebow to the mix and it's a recipe for a media/fan QB non-troversy that won't do anyone any good.

BTW, I am going to read up about, and pay attention to the Bucs this year, so I can follow what R_of_G is following. Plus, the Bucs were the other expansion team that came onto the scene the same year as the Seahawks, so it will be interesting from that perspective.
    Roy Cummings of the Tampa Tribune and Gary Shelton of the Tampa Bay Times both do pretty solid and reliable reporting on the Bucs. Also, Pat Yasinskas at ESPN's NFC South Blog used to be a Bucs' beat reporter for the Trib so he has reliable info on the Bucs as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Schedules were released yesterday.

Here's the Bucs' schedule.

I suspect SVL/NWB and I will have some fun the week of Nov. 3rd.

Sep. 8 at New York Jets 1 p.m.
    Sep. 15 vs. New Orleans Saints 1:05 p.m.
    Sep. 22 at New England Patriots 1 p.m/
    Sep. 29 vs. Arizona Cardinals 1 p.m.
    BYE
    Oct. 13 vs. Philadelphia Eagles 1 p.m.
    Oct. 20 at Atlanta Falcons 1 p.m.
    Oct. 24 vs. Carolina Panthers 8:25 p.m.
    Nov. 3 at Seattle Seahawks 1:05 p.m.
    Nov. 11 vs. Miami Dolphins 8:40 p.m.
    Nov. 17 vs. Atlanta Falcons 1 p.m.
    Nov. 24 at Detroit Lions 1 p.m.
    Dec. 1 at Carolina Panthers 1 p.m.
    Dec. 8 vs. Buffalo Bills 1 p.m.
    Dec. 15 vs. San Francisco 49ers 1 p.m.
    Dec. 22 at St. Louis Rams 1 p.m.
    Dec. 29 at New Orleans Saints 1 p.m.

Post Thanks / Like

For a couple of months now I have avoided commenting on or even reading too much on any of the Revis speculation until there was actual news. Today there is actual news.

The Bucs have acquired CB Darrelle Revis from the Jets. I almost can't believe I just typed that sentence.

The Jets will receive the Bucs' 2013 1st round pick (#13 overall) and a conditional pick in 2014 (which in all likelihood will be a 3rd round pick). Revis, who was scheduled to be a free agent after this season (prompting the trade to begin with) has agreed to a new deal to remain in Tampa for six years at a total of $96 million.

All of this is contingent upon Revis passing a physical from the Bucs' staff, particularly his surgically repaired ACL.

Needless to say as a Bucs' fan and a recovering Jets' fan, I am thrilled about this trade. If he's healthy, I expect him to have a tremendous impact on this defense.

Post Thanks / Like

Talk about high risk/high reward. If Revis comes back at his full ability, it's a good deal for the Bucs. Actually, it's way better than anything the Jets had a right to expect. If Revis is not himself, that's a lot of money and a some high picks to be out.

Another question is this: is any CB, even the best in the league, worth $16 million/per in today's NFL where all the rules favor the offense? I guess it all depends on the details of the contract, especially how much of that money is guaranteed.

Update: According to ESPN, not one red cent of that contract is guaranteed. I'm surprised that Revis' agents would make a deal like that. That certainly eliminates a lot of the risk for the Bucs. The big question is, if Tampa Bay got him to sign a contract like that, why couldn't the Jets when he wanted to stay?
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post
    Another question is this: is any CB, even the best in the league, worth $16 million/per in today's NFL where all the rules favor the offense? I guess it all depends on the details of the contract, especially how much of that money is guaranteed.
    Not a penny of the contract is guaranteed. That to me is the ultimate statement about Darrelle Revis. It's become fashionable among NFL fans to call him greedy. There's nothing greedy about a player with a surgically-repaired knee showing that he'll prove on the field he's worth the money.

It also makes it a bit less risky an investment at least financially. If he's clearly not himself, it only costs them $16 mil for this season. Obviously they'd still lose the picks which is bad.

Post Thanks / Like

Talk about high risk/high reward.
    Wanna revisit high risk/high reward with the Lions' drafting of Ezekiel Ansah last night?

Mike Mayock said of Ansah "in three years he'll be an All-Pro or he'll be on the street." You know I was a big believer in Jason Pierre-Paul having seen him play here at my alma mater. There's no reason to think Ansah can't be coached up to make the transition as well. I'm rooting for him.

Last night was enjoyable to watch as it wasn't as predictable as many recent first rounds have been. Also, the Bucs didn't have a pick last night having traded their pick as part of the Revis deal. Most enjoyable though was that this year I watched the draft on NFL Network instead of ESPN so I could avoid any of Chris Berman's schtick, Adam Schefter's "scoops" and Jon Gruden's "Every Prospect is a First Ballot Hall of Famer" approach to draft coverage.

The Bucs have two picks tonight, the first being the 43rd overall (11th pick in 2nd round). I would be quite pleased to see them take Jonathan Banks (CB, Mississippi State). Even with the addition of Revis, it's a position at which I think the Bucs need more depth. This is a division where they play Drew Brees and Matt Ryan twice. No such thing as too many good DBs for that situation.

That said, at some point today they may well take a pass-rusher to replace Michael Bennett who was last season's team sack leader. The Dominik/Schiano administration has shown it can find solid talent down the draft, so I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with this time around.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Wanna revisit high risk/high reward with the Lions' drafting of Ezekiel Ansah last night?
    No kidding. Figures they get a high draft pick in a draft which is deep but light at the top end. They wanted one of the OTs, but they were gone. I read they tried to trade down, but they couldn't get anyone to bite. I learned years ago that I know nothing about the draft so it doesn't pay to be too happy or too sad. With Suh and Fairley the stress will not be on him. Obviously he's a physical specimen but who knows if he's a workout warrior or not.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Obviously he's a physical specimen but who knows if he's a workout warrior or not.
    My understanding is that he's more like Jason Pierre-Paul, someone who is freakishly athletic but relatively new to the sport of football than a workout warrior like Vernon Gholston who looks fantastic in the gym or the practice field but can't play a lick of football come game time. Ansah was impressive in the Senior Bowl against offensive linemen of the quality he will see in the pros.

Like you said, with the other components of the Lions' defensive line he won't be under as much pressure to deliver instantly.

Post Thanks / Like

If he gets close to JPP, I'd be more than happy.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast