Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL 2013 [American Football]

Post Thanks / Like

Default NFL 2013 [American Football]

It's that time of year, when I read/hear lots of stories about this team and that team informing their players that they need to restructure their contracts or they'll be cut.

What I don't seem to be reading or hearing is the same venom and hatred which was directed at Darelle Revis two years ago when he had the audacity to suggest he'd like the Jets to restructure his contract.

I'm not sure what percentage of the hypocrisy results from racism and what part comes from views on organized labor relations but there is something wrong when it's a headline-grabbing outrage when players ask for more money before their deals are done, but "it's just the way things are done in the NFL" when teams do the inverse.

It seems to come down to "they're making millions to play a game, so they should shut up." Of course, the owners are making billions just watching the game and not subjecting their brains to permanent damage, but let's not worry about that.

Post Thanks / Like

Q: When is a massive profit billed as an industry-threatening loss?

A: When it's an NFL franchise's bottom line.

EXCERPT...

In 2010 and 2011, as the NFL prepared for and staged a lockout of its players, Carolina Panthers owner Jerry Richardson was among the hardest of the hardliners, urging his fellow owners to "take back our league" by demanding a more management-friendly collective-bargaining agreement.

Meanwhile, according to an audited financial statement obtained by Deadspin, Richardson's Panthers were making more than $100 million in profit over the fiscal years covering those two seasons.

The statement is for the years ending March 31, 2011, and March 31, 2012. Over the first period, as Richardson argued that the NFL's business model was hopelessly broken and steered the owners toward a showdown to extract more money from the players, the Panthers recorded an operating profit of $78.7 million. The team had gone 2-14 on the field, but Richardson and his partners were able to pay themselves $12 million.

Over the following year, after the owners had won their lockout and reduced the players' share of league revenue from 50 percent to 47 percent, the Panthers brought in $33.3 million in operating profit. Richardson began lobbying for public subsidies to renovate his 17-year-old stadium. The team went 6-10.

FULL STORY... http://deadspin.com/5988893/leaked-n...over-two-years

Post Thanks / Like

That's all rather sickening.

Also indicative of the ref lockout last season.

The game is becoming a big-money sham.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Dang. That's depressing.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah.......the owners cry and cry.....reminiscent of some of the political crap we hear all the time......but I digress.

Your point is well taken and while I have no qualm with an owner making money (in theory, he is the one taking the financial risk)......I do have MAJOR problems with people screaming POOR ME while they have their hands firmly ensconced in the proverbial cookie jar. And therefore the owners of the Panthers deserve any media/public outcry they get.

As to Reavis......and I may be wrong here.....but if Reavis asks for a re-structuring, it's to get more money in his contract.......but when the team asks for a re-structuring, it's to change the pay-out of an existing contract......meaning that he will still get the full value of the contract but the payout will be altered. If I am correct in my assumption, then I don't have a problem with that.

I understand about getting his brain scrambled.......but you know I have a hard time with sympathy for that because no one is holding a gun to his head FORCING him to play football. He went to college, got a degree (or at least should have), so let him stand with the rest of us HARD-WORKERS who work full-time and don't get paid millions and really work for a living. lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by piebaldpython View Post
    Your point is well taken and while I have no qualm with an owner making money (in theory, he is the one taking the financial risk)......I do have MAJOR problems with people screaming POOR ME while they have their hands firmly ensconced in the proverbial cookie jar. And therefore the owners of the Panthers deserve any media/public outcry they get.
    Right. Of course the owners are in it to make money, it's a for-profit business. My problem is that the owners (Richardson in particular) were claiming that they were losing money, then refused to turn over any accounting documents detailing said losses.

Therefore, Their CBA negotiations both before and after the lockout were made entirely in bad faith.

What concerns me is how forthcoming these owners will be with the financial truths when it comes to demanding public funding for new stadiums. The players' union being sold snake oil is one thing, but when it comes to spending even a single dollar of taxpayer money on a stadium, the municipalities involved had better do their due diligence on the actual financial affairs of the teams in their cities.

As to Reavis......and I may be wrong here.....but if Reavis asks for a re-structuring, it's to get more money in his contract.......but when the team asks for a re-structuring, it's to change the pay-out of an existing contract......meaning that he will still get the full value of the contract but the payout will be altered. If I am correct in my assumption, then I don't have a problem with that.
    To be honest, I'm not entirely sure. We know about concepts like "guaranteed money" in contracts, which leads me to believe that the non-guaranteed part is open to increase or decrease as long as both parties sign the new contract.

What I do know is regardless of whether these restructured deals are for less money, or for the same money distributed differently, should a player decide not to take the restructured contract, the team can cut that player and not have to pay them a dime for the years remaining, except any money that was guaranteed.

It's that part that makes it seem to me that from the players' perspective the contracts are not worth the paper they're written on.

Also, thanks for taking the time to put thought into your reply PBP. I didn't intend to start this year's NFL thread trolling on NFL labor/monetary issues (though to be honest, I would gladly discuss that all day.)

I do still like talking actual football too. Curious to see what the Bucs do next week when free agency opens. Their most glaring weakness in 2012 was in the defensive backfield, especially at CB. There are some CBs available that would be an upgrade and once again, the Bucs have money to spend (they currently have the 5th most cap space available).

Post Thanks / Like

News for SVL and NWBasser... the Seahawks have traded for Minnesota WR Percy Harvin. My initial thought is that with Harvin and Leon Washington, the Hawks are a team I would NEVER punt to. Seriously though, Harvin can be a solid contributor to that offense if his health problems allow him to play a significant number of games.

Post Thanks / Like

Health problems and his tendency to suffer from cranial-rectal inversion.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    News for SVL and NWBasser... the Seahawks have traded for Minnesota WR Percy Harvin. My initial thought is that with Harvin and Leon Washington, the Hawks are a team I would NEVER punt to. Seriously though, Harvin can be a solid contributor to that offense if his health problems allow him to play a significant number of games.
    Great news (I think). However, they may let Washington go to keep under the salary cap.

If that's the case, I'll really miss Leon. He's a very dynamic player for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NWBasser View Post
    Great news (I think). However, they may let Washington go to keep under the salary cap.

If that's the case, I'll really miss Leon. He's a very dynamic player for sure.
    Yup, Leon was cut today. Whatever team picks him up gets one of the most versatile and under-appreicated weapons in the league.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Yup, Leon was cut today. Whatever team picks him up gets one of the most versatile and under-appreicated weapons in the league.
    That's for sure!

He'll be greatly missed here. Definitely an outstanding player.

Now, if the 'hawks could shore up their pass rush that would be very nice.

Post Thanks / Like

IGGLES released Nnandi Assomugha today. He was gonna make a ton of money this year. He was a disappointment overall during his 2 years here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It will be interesting to see how it all works out. I hate to lose a productive threat like Washington, but another good receiver would be a good addition. Offensive line needs a little help too. Oh yeah, and now the defensive line and pass rush. Seems to me investing in more depth on the line on both sides of the ball would be a good investment. Less dough than paying for big name stars, and big benefit on the field.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

My Lions signed Reggie Bush and Glover Quin today, addressing two of their bigger needs. If Bush can fulfill the role envisioned for Javid Best, this will be a great signing. Leshoure can do the dirty work in the trenches. For me their biggest mistake last year was not coming up with a plan B if Best couldn't recover from his concussions. I wouldn't be surprised if they take Dee Milliner in the draft. Someone in Detroit already joked that if you misspell his name he would be perfect for the Lions: De-Millen-er.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I like the Bush signing for Detroit. He seems like the right back for the role.

There are plenty of rumors swirling around potential moves the Bucs may make, but nothing has happened yet and unlike ESPN's Adam Schefter, I don't get paid to perpetuate rumors.

Post Thanks / Like

The Bucs signed S Dashon Goldson, formerly of the 49ers. If he plays here like he played there, it seems an ideal pairing at that position with last year's top pick Mark Barron.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe the contracts that the Lions' Gosder Cherilus (5 years/$34 million) and Sammie Lee Hill (3 years/$11.4 million) got from other teams. They were both decent players, to be sure, but wow. Hill was a backup. Of course, the Colts also gave the Packers' Erik Walden 4 years/$16 million so maybe they're just going insane with the checkbook.

Post Thanks / Like

The Bucs have signed LB Jonathan Casillas, formerly of the Saints, to a one-year deal. The move looks to mark the end of Quincy Black's time with the Bucs. It seems a lateral move talent-wise. I'd like to see additional LBs added.

Post Thanks / Like

SVL and NWB, not sure if you guys read yet, but the Seahawks signed former Bucs' defensive lineman Michael Bennett. Bennett is someone I'm sad to see the Bucs let go. He can be a very solid piece of a good defensive line rotation. Good pickup for Seattle.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast