Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: NFL 2013 [American Football]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post
    Seriously? That's the conclusion you jumped to?

No, clearly you aren't an NFC North fan. Harvin is forever surrounded by drama of one form or another.

Two quotes from ESPN's NFC North blogger on Twitter yesterday sum it up perfectly:

I miss PercyWorld and its inhabitant

Could anyone have known Percy Harvin would need hip surgery? No. Could anyone predict something odd would happen around him? 100 pct yes.

I have no clue what those quotes are supposed to exemplify other than that I now know at least two NFC North fans that think it's odd when a football player gets hurt, or somehow thinks a player that's hurt more than once is up to some kind of weirdness.

Also, for credibility's sake, let's not go quoting ESPN bloggers. They're only slightly more credible than ESPN's on-air "talent."

Post Thanks / Like

Look at the man's career:
    Set aside the fact that he is oft-injured, migraines or otherwise. That is not relevant to this discussion.

He hasn't been able to get along with either coach that he had with the Vikes. I can almost understand Childress, although that still doesn't excuse flinging a weight at him in the weight room. He somehow managed to get into screaming fits with Leslie Frazier, despite being possibly the most low-key coach in the NFL.

He demanded a trade before the season last year without saying why other than he wasn't "happy." Later he acted as if the request was never made. He would just not show up for practices without explanation. Sometimes he would say it was the migraines, but sometimes not. He fought with teammates. Then go back to Florida where he also fought with his position coach and was generally viewed as enough of an attitude problem that NFL teams shied away from him.

I understand perfectly well that receivers in particular tend to be head cases. If you can play, someone will sign you. There is no doubt Harvin is immensely talented. But if you are a head case that has a problem staying on the field, what value do you really have?

So please, spare me the "when a football player gets hurt, or somehow thinks a player that's hurt more than once is up to some kind of weirdness." Harvin has a well-deserved reputation. Just because you weren't aware of it doesn't make it untrue. As a Lions fan I almost wish he was still on the Vikings. He seemed to cause at least as much trouble for his own team as he did for my team's defense.

By the way "Percy World" was an invention of the Twin Cities' media, not ESPN.

For more fun about his career at Florida, search for his name in this Sporting News article http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-foo...gram-will-musc
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I'm starting to agree with Marnold about Percy Harvin. I don't want such problematic players on MY team!

The timing of his surgery seems very suspect. Why didn't he get the surgery months ago rather than waiting until the start of the preseason? Was his hip problem just discovered?

Post Thanks / Like

Once again, Forbes has named Seattle the most-miserable city for sports.

Our basketball team went to Oklahoma, our baseball team has been "rebuilding" for the last 10 years with absolutely no improvements in sight, and the Seahawks got screwed on the Superbowl.

The good news is that the Seahawks are on an up-swing and we now have a major-league soccer team that's pretty good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Couldn't tell much from the game against the Chargers last night, other than the Seahawks look deep vs. the struggling Chargers, but it was fun to watch! T-Jack, Williams, Michael and Lotulelei were fun to watch, among others. Great to see Husky J. Kearse pull in the TD too. I am not going to jump on the "Seahawks are the team to beat" bandwagon as they have a lot to prove, and the Chargers were hardly a test. But they do look deep against a weaker team that has lost a lot of personnel. It remains to be seen how these young players rise to the occasion against the likes of the Falcons and the 49'ers, etc.

Seeing as the Broncos are rated so high, and just dusted the 49'ers, they should be a better test next week. Buckle up Seahawks!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Boy, that Seahawks/49'ers game was a defensive slugfest! Good thing Lynch had a great night, and that the D had SF shut down. Lots of penalties on both sides. I wonder if the rivalry throws off the mental concentration sometimes. Seahawks were missing a few guys at the start of the game, then were missing Okung most of the game, which made blocking Smith very challenging. What a game!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I watched the first half, and it was quite the battle. My ears hurt from thousands of miles away!

There were several good, close games yesterday. The Texans looked terrible for the most part, but managed an OT win. They got lucky while playing way below their capability, kinda' like the Saints.

Post Thanks / Like

Giants got trounced. Eli looked lost.

Broncos are the real deal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    I watched the first half, and it was quite the battle. My ears hurt from thousands of miles away!

There were several good, close games yesterday. The Texans looked terrible for the most part, but managed an OT win. They got lucky while playing way below their capability, kinda' like the Saints.

Yeah, in the second half, Mr. Lynch started battling out more yards and he and the front line started wearing into the 9'ers D a bit more, then he got some bigger runs. I was surprised and pleased at how well the secondary lassoed the 9'er receivers, but was really surprised that Gore was so absolutely silent. His QB out ran him handily. I remember last year when people started noticing the Seahawks and comparing them with the 49'ers that there was talk of Gore being the superior back by some, though others disagreed. Lynch ground out more last night. And the way he ran, he earned it. What a tough back!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Great game last nite. As predicted, the IGGLES will be involved in shootouts all year. However, new coach....New Fat Guy coach....same ineptitude to manage the clock as it's winding down to the 2 minute warning!!! Really? Seriously? It's not rocket science but come one coach, THINK. UGH

Post Thanks / Like

Ahhhh, my Lions ended their 0-21 record at the nation's capital by beating the Redskins. Kind of nice to see someone else nailed by the Calvin Johnson rule other than Calvin Johnson. Now that one streak is over, I'd like to see them end another streak against a certain green and gold team in a couple of weeks. Naturally, the Packers will be coming off a bye.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yep, that was cool. I like seeing them improve like this.

Seattle is another team to watch, but that's kinda' obvious.

SF is not playing at their potential, almost like the pathetic Texans. Oh, the humanity!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    SVL and NWB, not sure if you guys read yet, but the Seahawks signed former Bucs' defensive lineman Michael Bennett. Bennett is someone I'm sad to see the Bucs let go. He can be a very solid piece of a good defensive line rotation. Good pickup for Seattle.
    Yeah, Bennet looks to be fitting in just fine. A good game for the Seahawks. Got what they needed to done against a hapless opponent. The offense got to tool up some before the second stringers were sent in to get some time. Not much else to report. A nice start to the season!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure if the Giants understand they need to win a game. 0-3 right now. 38-zip to the Panthers. I love Cam Newton, but c'mon!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ran across this, in the style of The Onion. Pretty funny!

http://profootballmock.com/jim-harba...s-crowd-noise/

Now, I hope for the best for Mr. Smith. Seems a good player who needs some help. Also, Coach Harbaugh did not blame the crowd in the post game remarks I watched and was as professional as could be. Still, pretty funny.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to believe that there are 2 teams with worse records than the IGGLES in the NFL LEAST. Glad to see the Giants get Schneidered against the Panthers.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456