Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

SOLD - Hell Guitars No. 2, Black w/Rosewood & MoP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SOLD - Hell Guitars No. 2, Black w/Rosewood & MoP

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Cool SOLD - Hell Guitars No. 2, Black w/Rosewood & MoP

Last year I turned 40, I was a new father, and I received a promotion/raise/bonus at work. It was a great year and I treated myself to a great guitar--the pickups and the neck are amazing! I don't regret the purchase one bit. Within a week of ownership I declared she was a keeper and even swore that "I'd never sell her."

It looks like I foolishly tempted fate.

I haven't fully committed to the process, but I'm running out of options. My almost-2-year-old son has begun specialized speech therapy, which isn't covered by my extended medical plan. I'm a week or two away from paying for his sessions with a credit card. So...

I will sell my Hell Guitars No.2 if presented with a decent offer. I don't know what that number is right now, but I'll know it when I see it. PM me if you're interested but, please, try not to insult me. This is a pretty rough ride as is.

I'm sure you Fretters know the guitar and its specs, but just in case: http://www.hellguitars.com/no2.html.

Right now I'm only posting the guitar and my intentions here at TheFretDotNet. I feel that's appropriate as this is the forum that brought me to her. I'd like to avoid the hassles of eBay and Craigslist and "keep it in the family".

She's mint or near mint by anyone's standards. I fingerpick so there are no scuffs or scratches on the body or pickguard, just fingerprints. There is no fret wear or buckle rash. When not played, she lives in a hard case (in pic but not for sale). She's never been gigged, never been outdoors, the most trauma she's seen are the 2 or 3 string changes since I bought her last Summer.

I should note the photo below was taken tonight in very warm lighting, which gives her a golden glow. I assure you, she looks just like the beautiful Black No. 2s at HellGuitars.com.

Questions? Respond to the thread so everyone can follow along.

Offer? PM me.

Finally, for a few extra bucks, I can throw in a modest gig bag or a "vintage" black hard case. My packing skills are excellent and I'll consider many methods of shipping. I also live 5 minutes from the U.S. border. I often ship to American buyers directly from a USPS outlet in Point Roberts or Blaine, WA. This saves a bundle on shipping cost, greatly reduces shipping time and avoids all US import duties, taxes, etc.

There. That's it for now. Thank you.

Last edited by davewrites; March 27th, 2013 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Sold!
    Nothing is anything until it is written. After that, it's everything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

A sad loss but quite understandable in your situation. Bonus Dad mojo points for making the sacrifice!

As an owner of this exact same guitar, I can't recommend it enough.

Robert's excellent photo:

Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks for vouching for the guitar and providing a stellar pic. Much appreciated, Tig.

I really dig this guitar and will probably replace it if/when fortunes swing my way again. There are few Teles and Tele clones that rival this beast--and none in the same price range.

I play jazz on this neck pickup. Jazz! On a Tele neck pup! It's probably the most tonally versatile guitar I've ever owned. Versatility never springs to mind when people discuss Teles.

Nothing but butter, this one. I actually use the Tone knob and have a few favourite levels for each pickup position. It's really raised the bar on my standards.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Is that my photo? I don't even remember that one.

Dave, I guess some lucky gun will find out what Hell is all about!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck with the sale. It's too bad when you sell a guitar out of necessity, but those time do arise. I don't look forward to that day...

I did want to comment on this though:

Quote Originally Posted by davewrites View Post
    It's probably the most tonally versatile guitar I've ever owned. Versatility never springs to mind when people discuss Teles.
    I think versatility is frequently one of the first things people say about teles. I feel like the default for 'new guitar' with someone who doesn't yet know what they like is a tele, due to the number of things they do well. They may be heavily associated with certain styles of music, but versatile is probably one of the top-3 descriptors I see people use for telecasters.

Just sayin'. Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

:aok

Post Thanks / Like

Wish I was in the market for a git because I'd snatch yours up in a minute. I like what they are doing over at Hell Gits.

Re the Tele.....maybe the most versatile git ever......from Vince Gill to Roy Buchanan to Albert Collins.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Is that my photo? I don't even remember that one.

Dave, I guess some lucky gun will find out what Hell is all about!
    I thought it was yours, but maybe it was from the Hell Guitars website. I'm easily confused!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear you have to sell it. I think we both bought No2's around the same time last year! Looks like you got one of those nice tweed cases also...I can also attest to the playability and tone of the No2, I play Tele's and other clones all the time when I'm in the various music stores in my are and have never found anything close to the No2, even Fender Custom Shop models - and it has a great neck for fingerpicking also. I never got certain players slavish loyalty to the Tele until I got the No2, and now I'm one of them! Pretty sure I'd sell one of my Reverends before I'd sell the Hell, or my fishing gear or something drastic like that. Hope things work out - Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

To highjack my own thread and further the debate Teles and their versatility... sigh, of course, I will have to respectfully disagree and re-assert their lack of tonal versatility in the overall guitar marketplace.

Ignoring the bastardized versions Fender produced circa 1972, your standard Telecaster is entirely predictable and consistent through the ages. There is tremendous sameness between the original Telecaster sold 60 years ago and those manufactured today. I can't say they're inherently more versatile than a Les Paul, SG, 335, Strat, Jaguar, Jazzmaster, etc. Telecasters are admired for their simplicity and consistency. They're revered for their classic twangy tones. And I will insist that's the most common point of discussion when people talk Teles: "The Classic Tele Tone" and not "a wide range of tones."

Even boutique pickup makers are actively reproducing historical T-tones from '52, '59 and '64. That's narrowing focus and reinforcing limitations, not fostering innovation and creating versatility. In some strange way, everyone is still chasing an original and specific Tele tone, more so than any other guitar model on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by piebaldpython View Post
    Re the Tele.....maybe the most versatile git ever......from Vince Gill to Roy Buchanan to Albert Collins.
    Heck, I'll add Jimmy Page, Joe Strummer and John5 to the eclectic list of users, but I don't think this speaks to the inherent tonal versatility of the Telecaster, just the breadth of people it attracts because it's an enduring classic. Style of play, pedals, amphs, etc. are what make a Telecaster sound versatile. Your backup band and musical genre can augment or disguise it too, but there's no denying that every Tele wants to be a Tele. Take one off the wall, plug into a practice amp and everyone in the music store will know you're playing a Tele.

So I've opened the proverbial can of worms on what is probably a semantic debate on the definition of versatility. I adore Telecasters, so none of what I'm saying comes from ignorance, spite or disrespect. But if a friend wanted my advice on which one guitar they should buy to grant them the most tonal flexibility as they learn to play, I'd probably recommend a semi-hollow with humbuckers, decent tone pots and maybe a wiggle stick--certainly not a Telecaster.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd love to add something worthwhile here but I think you said it all. I totally agree. The closest thing to a telecaster I own is a peavey generations SSS which sounds more like a stratocaster than a tele. But I do really want to get my hands on one of these! BAD!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cebreez View Post
    I'd love to add something worthwhile here but I think you said it all. I totally agree. The closest thing to a telecaster I own is a peavey generations SSS which sounds more like a stratocaster than a tele. But I do really want to get my hands on one of these! BAD!!!!
    Unfortunately, Fender has never come close to the early 70's Wide Range Humbucker pickups with actual CuNiFe magnets in their re-issues. To get that classic WRH tone you have to go http://www.telenator.com for either modding your pickups or buying theirs, which aren't cheap.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    Unfortunately, Fender has never come close to the early 70's Wide Range Humbucker pickups with actual CuNiFe magnets in their re-issues. To get that classic WRH tone you have to go http://www.telenator.com for either modding your pickups or buying theirs, which aren't cheap.
    No and for those who don't know what that sounds like here it is:
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...songID=9143568

But I like the tone of the new just the same. Heard a guy at GC play a classic Phil Keaggy on one of these through a Fender Twin Reverb and "OH MAN" did it sound sweet. So I thought to myself "Self" cause that's what I call myself. "If this guy can play it like that then I know "I" can find someone else who can play it like that too"

And I would be willing to trade a perfectly good Peavey Semi-hollow for it too! {hint..hint...}

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear you need to sell the No2, I think I bought mine right around the same time last year, and your review was the clincher for me. I even sprung for one of those sweet tweed cases...I was one of those people that never really got the Tele thing, even though one of my guitar heroes is Roy Buchannan. I played a strat for years, but never really bonded with it. I bonded with the No2 almost immediately, loved the tone (really love the maple neck/fretboard on mine- really fast and comfy) but those Bareknuckle "The Boss" pickups sound better than any other Tele pickup I've played, none of that piercing screech and nice, smooth bass and mids. I play Tele's every time I go into a guitar store and have never found another one that even comes close to the balanced sound the BK's have, even in some of the custom-shop guitars I've tried! I'd probably sell one of my Reverends before I'd sell the No2, probably the Reeves Gabrels, since it covers some of the same territory...

Hopefully things will work out some way that you'll get to keep it, but sounds like Hell is going to be around for a while, so there will be other opportunities to own one I'm sure. I'm hoping to get a Bender later this year if the stars align for me...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davewrites View Post
    To highjack my own thread and further the debate Teles and their versatility... sigh, of course, I will have to respectfully disagree and re-assert their lack of tonal versatility in the overall guitar marketplace.

Ignoring the bastardized versions Fender produced circa 1972, your standard Telecaster is entirely predictable and consistent through the ages. There is tremendous sameness between the original Telecaster sold 60 years ago and those manufactured today. I can't say they're inherently more versatile than a Les Paul, SG, 335, Strat, Jaguar, Jazzmaster, etc. Telecasters are admired for their simplicity and consistency. They're revered for their classic twangy tones. And I will insist that's the most common point of discussion when people talk Teles: "The Classic Tele Tone" and not "a wide range of tones."

Even boutique pickup makers are actively reproducing historical T-tones from '52, '59 and '64. That's narrowing focus and reinforcing limitations, not fostering innovation and creating versatility. In some strange way, everyone is still chasing an original and specific Tele tone, more so than any other guitar model on the planet.

Heck, I'll add Jimmy Page, Joe Strummer and John5 to the eclectic list of users, but I don't think this speaks to the inherent tonal versatility of the Telecaster, just the breadth of people it attracts because it's an enduring classic. Style of play, pedals, amphs, etc. are what make a Telecaster sound versatile. Your backup band and musical genre can augment or disguise it too, but there's no denying that every Tele wants to be a Tele. Take one off the wall, plug into a practice amp and everyone in the music store will know you're playing a Tele.

So I've opened the proverbial can of worms on what is probably a semantic debate on the definition of versatility. I adore Telecasters, so none of what I'm saying comes from ignorance, spite or disrespect. But if a friend wanted my advice on which one guitar they should buy to grant them the most tonal flexibility as they learn to play, I'd probably recommend a semi-hollow with humbuckers, decent tone pots and maybe a wiggle stick--certainly not a Telecaster.
    I've gotta say, that is a thoughtful and particularly well written piece...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ronbo View Post
    ...but those Bareknuckle "The Boss" pickups sound better than any other Tele pickup I've played, none of that piercing screech and nice, smooth bass and mids. I play Tele's every time I go into a guitar store and have never found another one that even comes close to the balanced sound the BK's have, even in some of the custom-shop guitars I've tried! I'd probably sell one of my Reverends before I'd sell the No2, probably the Reeves Gabrels, since it covers some of the same territory...
    I love "The Boss" pickups and, yes, they helped ruin all other Teles for me. I don't have as much fun in the music store that I used to -- less daydreaming of what could be and more appreciation of what I already have. I prefer the No. 2's rounder twang from its stronger mid-range. The No. 2 isn't shrill or, as you put it, piercing like some Teles.

I'm selling this Hell Guitar because my other electric was a birthday present from my wife. So that's not going anywhere. Neither is my Seagull acoustic, which was an anniversary gift from my wife 3 years prior. Yes, sentimentality trumps playability in my household. I would keep these two guitars even if I lost a hand in an industrial accident. They're already family heirlooms. My son will play these one day. (He'd better, dammit!)

And it's funny you mentioned selling your Reverends first. I did just that. I sold my Volcano on Christmas Eve (with Railhammer pickups!). I've also sold a tube amp, 2 pedals, chromatic tuner, iRig adapter, cigar box guitar, stomp box and Couch strap all since Hallowe'en. This Hell Guitar is pretty much the last thing that can go. After this move, my inventory will be whittled down to a Seagull S6 Cedar, a Fender Pawn Shop '72, a clip-on headstock tuner, a Vox AC4TV and a coffee can half-filled with picks.

Slim pickings, indeed. Feels like the bare essentials. I hope I don't break a string anytime soon or I'm totally fuhhhhhh...

Quote Originally Posted by ronbo View Post
    ...I even sprung for one of those sweet tweed cases...
    It may not be obvious in my original post, but I'm not selling my tweed Hell case. It's all sugar. It's also a subtle commitment that I'll refill it someday with another No. 2 or (maybe) a Bender.

Anyways, enough sad sack sh!t, some good news: my son is actually making progress with the speech therapy. He hasn't reached a tipping point yet but it does feel like the verbal dam will burst sooner rather than later. The therapy/bills should end before Summer... just in time for my wife to buy me another guitar for my next birthday!

Like her guitars, my wife is a keeper.

Post Thanks / Like

Like her guitars, my wife is a keeper.
    Then you have it all!!

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear that your son is improving with speech therapy.

BTW, that was an excellent bit you wrote about the Tele pickups and now I see what you mean. Sorry to hear that you have to sell your #2........and oh yeah, a sarcastic thanks for stoking some GAS in my for Hell gits even though I don't need one. lol

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, my son didn't really speak much at two. We were starting to worry about it and my wife suggested therapy.

Then the dam burst. I think he was almost three when he just started talking and talking. Using sentences and all.

It seems he was just absorbing everything until the time was right for him.

I hope this is the case for your son too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast