Thread: RIP Alvin Lee

Post Thanks / Like

Default RIP Alvin Lee

sad day. This guys playing was prominent in making me want to play, and why I wanted a semi when I finally started.

http://www.alvinlee.com/
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: RIP Alvin Lee

Wow, that was unexpected. RIP.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

RIP Alvin....you brought a LOT of good times.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh I hadn't heard this news yet. How very sad.
    I love Alvin Lee's playing and the tone he got out of his semi-hollow guitars.
    RIP Mr. Lee.

Post Thanks / Like

He was a big influence on me. In 1974 I picked up a Ten Years After 8-track tape and drove from Montana to Virginia to Alabama with it almost constantly playing in my dad's Buick. It drove him crazy, but I was enthralled with the fire in Alvin's playing and couldn't get enough of it. The 8-track was the perfect vehicle to constantly feed my brain.

So sad that doctors killed Alvin Lee. Bastards!

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. What a sad surprise. Aside from Woodstock, I recall Alvin as Spud does: Driving from Ontario to Winnipeg with three 8 trax, Quadraphenia and a 10 Years After (also Live at Leeds that broke at Wawa) tape I cannot recall the name of. At first I just wanted to play that fast, but the more I listened the more it was clear that he may have been speedster but he also had soul. Sad day.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

Really sad. I remember when Ssssh came out, I bought it & wore the grooves out learning their version of Good Morning Little etc. Awesome talent, really nice guy, and consummate tinkerer. I first got into modding guitars after hearing about his modding. He was chasing tone when I thought the color of the guitar was more important

So sad that doctors killed Alvin Lee. Bastards!
    What do you mean? What happened?

Post Thanks / Like

He died in otherwise routine surgery, but that's all I know.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by helliott View Post
    ... but the more I listened the more it was clear that he may have been speedster but he also had soul.
    Exactly. There are so many players that can tear it up but after a minute or two, I've really stopped actively listnening and am just appreciating how speedily they can play. Alvin Lee's soloing captivated me from beginning to end.

Post Thanks / Like

Heard this this morning. He was an amazing guitar player.
    Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Ultra; pretty red Squier Acoustic;
    Amps: Vox VT30;
    Pedals: Dunlop Fuzz Face; Dunlop Crybaby Wah
    My kids have: Squier Affinity Stratocaster MII; Fender G-DEC; Squire Acoustic; Jay Turser Strat-copy, Roland Cube amp

"I am a sworn enemy of the saccharine, and a believer in grace over karma." Bono 2001