Thread: In what order do I put my pedals? Help!

Post Thanks / Like

Default In what order do I put my pedals? Help!

Hi Guys,

New to the forum so thanks in advance for checking out my question. I have put together a new rig but am REALLY struggling with the order things should go in. My gear is as follows:-

 TC Electronics Polytune
     Dunlop Cry Baby
     Boss CS-3 Compressor/Sustainer
     Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
     Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer
     MXR Phase 90 (EVH version)
     Boss DC-2 Dimension C (Chorus)
     Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
     Boss RC-3 Loop Station
     ElectroHarmonix Nano LPB1 Boost
    => into a Marshall JCM 2000 – 60W TSL 602 2x12 combo

My influences are Hendrix, Guns, ,Clapton, Bonamassa, Led Zep – mainly blues or blues based rock.

I’d like to mainly use the Boost as a clean boost (i.e. I just want the same tone at a higher dB when I step on it for a solo.)

Anyway, I’ve pretty much figured-out that the delay, chorus & loop should go through the amp’s FX loop. However, the rest is up for grabs! I’d really appreciate any advice you guys out there can give me.

Thanks heaps

Post Thanks / Like

http://atoragon.blogspot.com/2011/12...ain-order.html
    http://jimbeck.com/pedalclinic/Order...als-Keeley.pdf

These represent the general order of things though by far not a rule. Experimentation is a must. I for one like my compressor after the dirt pedals so as not to affect the amount of overdrive or distortion and I leave it on constantly. I am building a new compressor and will move it around the board to see where I like it best.

In my case placing the time based effects >chorus-delay-reverb< in the FX loop of my Peavey Classic 30 improved the tone and reduced the noise tremendously. And basically made them react better. If you don't have an FX loop then placed a clean boost (with buffer) in front of the time based effects and make them the last pedals on your pedal board.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Cripes, Matt! Your post would make an excellent LSAT or MCAT question.

On a more serious note... Cebreez'z links are excellent. The Which Chain Of Effect Pedals Makes Life Easy? one-pager by Keeley is awesome and aligns with most of what I've read over the past 5 years. I think it's conventional wisdom now.

That said, don't be afraid to experiment, especially if you're curious or inspired. You should learn rules and master conventions so you can break them.
    Nothing is anything until it is written. After that, it's everything.