Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
NGD - I could use your help on this.. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NGD - I could use your help on this..

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Monkus. 'Burst Tele's are kind of sweet, aren't they? (wink wink )

O yeah, yours is fairly awesome too!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Had some time this afternoon, so I got rid of the tone control to the neck 'bucker - bridge only now (who needs to add mud to a humbucker?). Still need to replace the pickup at some point tho....

Post Thanks / Like

OK, after noodling around I'm back to this guitar. Ordered an Air Norton tonight When I get it ironed in, I'll let you know how it sounds. I already know I'm going with a 250K pot rather than 500. We'll see what happens...stay tuned. (no, really....stay in tune!!)

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

As far as the neck humbucker goes, I have a Seymour Duncan "Pearly Gates" in the bridge of my Fender Lone Star strat and I like it. It is slightly hot but ot like a JB. Although, SD now offers the JB in a neck position pickup, which could be a very cool pickup for that guitar.

In my opinion, a SD Alnico II Pro might sound really wonderful in that guitar. I like those Alnico II Pro's. It might be too mellow for you though if you want a cutting sound. SD has the new '59 hybrid, or even a regular SD '59 could be very cool.

I personally like the current Fender WRHB neck pickups, but you might have to change the pots to accommodate the big Wide Range HB and the bridge single coil - but that can be the case with any guitar that has a single coil in the bridge and a full humbucker in the neck. I think Fender told me that they use 333k Ohm pots on big time neck humbucker/single coil bridge tele. I guess it sort of splits the difference. If it has 250k Ohm pots I don't thing you will like the humbucker sound that much because it might demonstrate a very "boomy" bassiness. The 500k Ohm pots brighten up the neck humbucker, which is a good thing. Where that leaves the bridge single coil I don't know. Maybe install a SD noiseless tele bridge pickup. I think they sell a few good ones - but then you will lose the "traditional" tele sound completely.

Someone knowledgeable would probably know how to wire that guitar so that the neck humbucker sounds right, and the bridge tele single coil also sounds strong and twangy.

Having a nice clear sounding full humbucker in that neck position to replace that mediocre Epi one, would probably yield a super enjoyable guitar to play. Even a Gibson 490 or a '57 classic might sound great. A lot of dudes put in Gibson '57 Classics in the neck of telecasters for a traditional sound.

That is a beautiful example of that guitar and should definitely be the basis of a serious mod project, if that's what you choose to do. That could be transformed into a super sleeper tele.

Congratulations on that beautiful guitar and good luck on the upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by Zip View Post
    Picked up another Tele today. Nice Callaham stainless steel bridge, Bob Urban Vintage T in the bridge (alnico III, 6.7K handwound), crappy Epi Dot hum in the neck (it'll get changed for sumpin', just not sure what). Two questions:

Any suggestion for the neck? I'll have to buy it anyway, so I'm open to anything from mini to full size humbucker. Don't even know what tones I'm after, since I have some other lumber that pretty much fills my needs. This was just a "too good to be true $$" kind of deal.

And secondly, that single-ply black is hideous. What color guard should I buy?

[IMG][/IMG]

Post Thanks / Like

Mini-update: Shimmed the neck, and now it intonates perfectly. Deglossed the back of the neck, and it's smooth as butter. So far, I'm happy and starting to bond with it. I'm not a Tele guy (although I now own 2), but I think I'm becoming one. Still haven't done the neck p'up upgrade though.
    Zip - how do you go about deglossing the neck? - I've been thinking about doing my CV strat and tele.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjcurtin1 View Post
    Zip - how do you go about deglossing the neck? - I've been thinking about doing my CV strat and tele.

Sandpaper and then some tongue oil!!!

Post Thanks / Like

One way of doing it I guess!

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, after noodling around I'm back to this guitar. Ordered an Air Norton tonight When I get it ironed in, I'll let you know how it sounds. I already know I'm going with a 250K pot rather than 500. We'll see what happens...stay tuned. (no, really....stay in tune!!)
    Looks like a potentially great pickup choice. If it sounds too bass boomy you can try a 500k volume pot; or maybe some wiring expert can suggest a way to brighten up a humbucker when matched with a single coil like the tele, and still get that traditional tele twang out of the single coil.

Post Thanks / Like

DiMarzio Velvet are surprisingly nice in a tele....just a thought.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrmudcat View Post
    Sandpaper and then some tongue oil!!!
    I guess I'm wondering about the tinted color of the neck - is that in the finish or is the wood stained - I'm not sure I'd like it if the back of the neck became that very white maple look - I like the tinted color.

Post Thanks / Like

I was talking about sandng all finish off to the wood and then hitting it with the oil!! The oil and sweat will give it a nice non bright color tint!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12