Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
HBs for jazz

Thread: HBs for jazz

Post Thanks / Like

Default HBs for jazz

I'm looking to have some major rebuilding done to my Dot. I'm using it more for jazz these days, and I'm thinking that both pickups will be coming out - what do you guys reckon would make for good quality, reasonably priced replacement humbucking pickups (both neck and bridge) for traditional jazz? Looking forward to your input, cheers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: HBs for jazz

Honestly, pretty much any pickup should work well.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

What is it about the Dot's pups that are not working for you?

The first thought for a replacement that comes to my mind is the Duncan '59 line. But that is based on reputation only. Reported to be warm and smooth. Or Duncan also makes a jazz model.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Probably most anything with AlnicoII mags should be nice and smooth.

Post Thanks / Like

easy to overthink this. Carlton plays his 335 with PAF's for jazz and also did the lead parts on Kid Charlemagne with the same axe.

A good harness (I know I sound like a broken record...it's my answer to everything) will go a LONG way toward allowing you tone shaping capabilities because both the volume and tone pots, if quality, provide dramatic sweeps in sound.

PAF's are typically in the high 7k low 8k range. Any quality humbucker would do I would think provided it's not too hot (high output)

I recently put a pair of Sheptone's Tributes in my 535 (a 335 type guitar) and am absolutely thrilled with them. comparable to the Duncans in price.

Another very reasonably priced "boutique" pickup winder is JS Moore

As SVL said, Duncan 59's, or Seth Lovers, or Antiquities would cover that ground

Gibson 57's, or Burstbuckers

Lollar Imperials.

dozens more.....

All these pickups are targeting the same territory, and with a good harness, would give you plenty of range, IMHO.
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

expounding on my prior comment...(especially since the guitar in question is a semi....)

If you were to purchase something like this.....a top quality harness with "pigtail" leads....

You can see what you're capable of before dropping another 200.00 on pickups. It's possible what's in there will work for you. If you still decide to go with new buckers, the pigtail leads (the extra wire coiled in the lower left) allow you solder the pickups from the pickup route, rather than at the pots, so you can leave the harness in place. A swap becomes a pretty simple thing to do. This is the route I took, and I still swapped the p'ups, but I had a 14K output bridge pickup, which I pretty much new I wasn't gonna keep.
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the great input everyone, much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

So I've narrowed the list down (based on cost and desired tone) to either Golden Age Parsons Street Alnico II HBs, or Tonerider Alnico II Classics. Both these sets seem to have the attributes I'm after (low-output classic tones, good for jazz primarily, as well as blues and classic rock), basically leaning towards p90-type tones. I've read lots of positive reviews of both these pickup lines and very little negative. Anyone here with any experience with these two lines of pickups in particular?

Post Thanks / Like

I've played with the Stewmac pups, and they're really good at doing the PAF tones. I'd suggest an Al.II in the bridge, and an Al.V in the neck. Wonderful range of tones, from creamy to bitey.

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Tried heavy flat wound strings?