Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuner Pedal

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tuner Pedal

What tuner do you use, and which do you recommend. It seems BOSS TU-2 is very popular. Don't they have a TU-12 too that is good?

The Peterson Strobostomp seems great, but it costs 2 arms and 1 leg.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I also hear the KORG DT-10 is good. Many seem to like it better than the Boss tuner pedals.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    I also hear the KORG DT-10 is good. Many seem to like it better than the Boss tuner pedals.

Don't know, which one is better, but I have the Boss TU-2, and it does its work very well. I also use it, when I change my guitar: Do a step on it, and all is quite. It has two outputs: One which is quite when tuning, and one which is always on. It also has a buffered output, so it vompensates the loss of signal in long cables. Put it in your effect-chain as first pedal. It also can serve as a multi power-unit as it has a power input and a power output.

I thonk the Korg is nearly the same quality.
    Greetings

Christian

Guitars: Fender Telecaster Standard, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Stratocaster, Yamaha Pacifica 412V, Dean Vendetta, J&D LS-1, Collins Stage Western

Amp: Vox Valvetronix AD50VT, Fame GX60R

Pedals: DIY Box of Rock Clone, DIY Linear Power Boster, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Regenerator, Digitech Bad Monkey, Harley Benton OD-100, Harley Benton DD-2, Behringer Hellbabe HB01 Wah, Boss DS-1, Boss TU-2, Boss DD-7, EXH Small Clone

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

For a pedal tuner on a budget, this one that I just received seems nice:

http://www.instrumentpro.com/P-BEHTU100?source=froogle

The LEDs underneath the note, and the lights to either side of the note really make it easy for me to dial in the note quickly. As a relative novice, I really like that. It has a bypass mode where you hear the note played as you tune or a mode where it mutes everything as you tune visually. It is in a plastic housing but seems like it will outlast the amount you pay for it. I wasn't up for spending toward a hundred USD for a new Boss or Korg type. You can get this one for less than is typically charged for the small Korg CA-30 tuner (I also have that one, but wanted one in my pedal chain) that does not operate as a pedal.

I was also looking at an Arion, also plastic housed. (Spud has one that I used briefly when he visited). I think this one compares nicely, and I personally like the display a little better.

Cheers!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I now use a Rocktron X-tune, a fine tuning pedal. Fast and accurate. The only drawback is that it's slighly big. And it's pink!

Post Thanks / Like

Pink?

M29

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I actually bought my Berhinger here: http://www.music123.com/Behringer-Ch...-i156792.music

Added it on to my son's Fully strat pack order.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M29
    Pink?

M29
    Pics Robert! We want pics!

I hope it has a little fluffy bunny tail & some bunny ears. That'd be sooooooo cute!
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like this ... Rocktron X-tune

Post Thanks / Like

I'd call that lipstick red.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, maybe, but it looks more pinkish in real life...

Post Thanks / Like

the main difference i have found between the korg tuner and the tu-2 is that the korg tuner pedal is more accurate (tunes to within +/- 1 cent) where as the boss tu-2 is accurate to +/- 3 cent. Small difference but sometimes the smallest bit counts. I've also seen that the korg tuner is alot easier to read on stage in the dark or in the bright sunlight. Kind of preference in the end though i suppose.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know how other tuners work but the TU-2 is neat cause as Chris said you can power off other pedals with it and it's got switchable tuning modes for chromatic tuning, standard guitar A440 tuning and Eb tuning plus bass and Eb bass. I guess in bass mode it picks up the wider low end frequencies better or something? Anyway I like it.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

I am curious to hear if anyone has a Peterson Strobe tuner? These seem to be all the rave these days.

I want a smaller tuner than my Rocktron X-tune, since my pedal board is getting crammed. I'll probably sell off my Rocktron at that point.

Post Thanks / Like

I am curious to hear if anyone has a Peterson Strobe tuner? These seem to be all the rave these days.

I want a smaller tuner than my Rocktron X-tune, since my pedal board is getting crammed. I'll probably sell off my Rocktron at that point.
    Yep! I have a Strobostomp that I couldn't live without.

IMHO, there are good tuner pedals, very good tuner pedals and there is the Strobostomp. It costs as much as twice what the others ask for, but, believe me, it is worth every penny. ude:
    Gearlist:
    Guitars
    - Kramer Pacer Deluxe (’87) with SD pickups
    - EBMM 25th Anniversary hardtail
    - EBMM Axis Super Sport hardtail
    - Squier CV Tele (Reliced!)
    - "Relic Wallpaper Squier ’51 (heavily modded)
    - Custom made Precision type bass with EMG pickup and custom paintjob

Amps
    - THD Univalve
    - Tech21 Trademark 10
    - 2x12” Tube Town "flexi-back" cabinet, with Celestion Speakers

Effects, etc
    Peterson Strobostomp, Budda Bud-wah, BYOC Script Phaser, Proco RAT (original), Boss HM-2 (modded), EHX Deluxe Memory Man, Line6 M13 Stompbox Modeller, Axon AX-100 MkII, Digitech GSP1101/Control2

Visit my page on myspace:
    http://www.myspace.com/thegenusloci

Post Thanks / Like

There is another strobe tuner called Turbo-Tuner that also gets very good reviews.

So tell me, why are these Peterson pedals worth every penny? Can you tune faster? I never have a problem with tuning my guitars to a cheap tuner, so accuracy isn't a big deal for me. However, I can see it be a great tool for intonation too, but the AP guitar tuner software is very exact for that as well.

Post Thanks / Like

So tell me, why are these Peterson pedals worth every penny? Can you tune faster? I never have a problem with tuning my guitars to a cheap tuner, so accuracy isn't a big deal for me. However, I can see it be a great tool for intonation too, but the AP guitar tuner software is very exact for that as well.
    First of all, standard needle or electronic tuners, at least the ones I've tried are not quite so accurate. I have tuned with some well known tuners, only to check with the Peterson and find I'm out of tune (minor inaccuracies, but you get the picture).

The Peterson is indispensable for intonation work, that is why so many technicians use them. Also their tempered tunings are spot-on. You will be shocked to hear the difference on an acoustic guitar, esp. at the higher frets.

Also there is a very evident difference when you play with keyboards. Since both the bands I'm playing feature keyboard players, I found out I was a lot better in tune with them, using the Peterson.

As for practical things, like speed and visibility on stage, yes, I think it is very fast and VERY easy to see. Did I mention it is true bypass also?
    Gearlist:
    Guitars
    - Kramer Pacer Deluxe (’87) with SD pickups
    - EBMM 25th Anniversary hardtail
    - EBMM Axis Super Sport hardtail
    - Squier CV Tele (Reliced!)
    - "Relic Wallpaper Squier ’51 (heavily modded)
    - Custom made Precision type bass with EMG pickup and custom paintjob

Amps
    - THD Univalve
    - Tech21 Trademark 10
    - 2x12” Tube Town "flexi-back" cabinet, with Celestion Speakers

Effects, etc
    Peterson Strobostomp, Budda Bud-wah, BYOC Script Phaser, Proco RAT (original), Boss HM-2 (modded), EHX Deluxe Memory Man, Line6 M13 Stompbox Modeller, Axon AX-100 MkII, Digitech GSP1101/Control2

Visit my page on myspace:
    http://www.myspace.com/thegenusloci

pes_laul Guest

i usually use my line 6 floor pod tuner but my korg GA-30 tunes more accurately

Post Thanks / Like

There's 3 that I can think of that most people use, the Korg DT-10, Boss TU-2 and the Peterson Strobostomp. If you are willing to shell out the cash then go for the Strobostomp. Like what already has been said, it's probably the most accurate of them all. Otherwise, get the Korg or the Boss.
    Guitars:
    PRS Soapbar SE II, PRS Soapbar SE SC, PRS Custom SE, Ibanez Artstar AS120, Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ, Takamine EG330SC Acoustic Electric, Martin D-0015 Acoustic

Amplifiers:
    Traynor YCV50 Blue with YCX 112 Ext Cab, Fender Princeton Reverb II, Peavey Classic 30 Amplifier with 112SX Ext Cab, Fender The Twin (Red Knobs), Epiphone Valve Jr Head

Effects (Pedals):
    Radial Tonebone Classic, MI Audio Crunch Box, MI Audio Blues Pro, BBE Grande Boosta, GoudieFX Compressor, GoudieFX Delay, GoudieFX modded Crybaby GCB95 Wah, Fulltone Soulbender, Boss DC-3 Digital Dimension, Peterson Strobostomp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast