Thread: The Winery Dogs - Kotzen, Portnoy, Sheehan

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Winery Dogs - Kotzen, Portnoy, Sheehan

New band with Richie Kotzen, Mike Portnoy and Billy Sheehan. They've got all the songs recorded and are fiinshing up the record and will release it soon.

This has links to everyone in the band.
    https://www.facebook.com/TheWineryDogs

http://www.bravewords.com/news/201060

THE WINERY DOGS Featuring Mike Portnoy, Billy Sheehan And Richie Kotzen Launch Official Facebook Page

Hot Flashes

Posted on Sunday, March 24, 2013 at 08:09:57 EST

Drummer Mike Portnoy (ADRENALINE MOB, FLYING COLORS, ex-DREAM THEATER), bassist Billy Sheehan (MR. BIG, TALAS) and guitarist Richie Kotzen (ex-POISON, ex-Mr. Big) teamed up in the summer of 2012 for a new project which has now been officially dubbed THE WINERY DOGS. They have officially launched a Facebook page for the band, which can be viewed here.

An official debut album release for Japan via Victor Entertainment has been confirmed for May, with other territories due to be announced soon.

Following is Portnoy's final official diary entry from the recording sessions, issued in August 2012:

Day #11:
    "Monumental day today... we finish the 14th and final song!

I can't recall many albums I've done where I've had these many new, original songs. What an amazing assortment of material to choose from! Not sure if we'll end up with all 14 on the album, but we'll surely use 'em all for one purpose or another...

Anyways, the 14th and final song is another one we wrote back in the second writing session back in February. It doesn't have lyrics yet, so it's temporarily called 'Seven' (for two reasons: it was the seventh song we wrote and the main riff also happens to be in 7/8 time). It's one of the more upbeat, rocking tracks, kinda in the vein of STP, VELVET REVOLVER or SOUNDGARDEN.

Nail the song in two takes, comp and I AM DONE! (well, with the "album's drums" at least... still have percussion, some b-vox and maybe a few other drum tracks if we cut some covers or bonus tracks).

While working on the comp and a few other drum edits, I decided to quickly interview Richie for those of you that have never seen him interviewed before (I know he may not seem like what you thought he'd be like, but he really is a nice guy...):

Anyways, that may be it for my studio diary...

I have two more days with the guys in LA during which we have a few 'business' things to do (management meetings, maybe a photo session, etc) and maybe if we have time, maybe a few bonus covers??? We'll see. But I may not be back to enter that stuff into the studio diary (plus, I like keeping cover choices a surprise even if we do!)

So at this point, this is MP signing off!

I have been blessed to have been a part of so many great bands and projects through the years: Dream Theater, LIQUID TENSION EXPERIMENT, TRANSATLANTIC, Adrenaline Mob, Flying Colors, AVENGED SEVENFOLD, NEAL MORSE's solo albums, OSI, etc etc and I must say this new band with Billy and Richie is absolutely up there with some of the coolest stuff I've ever been a part of!!

These two guys are absolute first class musicians and great guys...and I am honored to be in a band with them!

I really feel this band has a strong future ahead of it and will transcend the 'project' label. No doubt about it, this is a REAL BAND that has the ability to make a real mark in the scene and become a very strong next chapter in all three of our lives and careers. I can't wait to share it with you all!!

Coming in 2013..."

Click
    here for the complete diary series.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool, that should be an interesting act.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty excited about it. 3 of my favorite musicians. They all sing and are monster players. Billy and Richie were in Mr. Big together too so they are comfortable playing together.

That video is hilarious! I didn't watch it before. Richie it totally acting and has the red-neck fake tooth in.

With Richie's voice you can bet it will have some soul, but everyone is such a monster player and writer you know it's going to be good.

Post Thanks / Like

A video from these guys

Post Thanks / Like

Another new video release - Desire

Notice Richie doesn't use picks any more. Still gets a ballsy sound though.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the Elevate video that is on the official channel so you can actually watch it.

Sounds unsurprisingly like Mr. Big Mk II with maybe a splash of Audioslave for good measure. It also reminds me a bit of Van Halen's "Humans Being," rocking song with an overly poppy chorus.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post
    Sounds unsurprisingly like Mr. Big Mk II with maybe a splash of Audioslave for good measure. It also reminds me a bit of Van Halen's "Humans Being," rocking song with an overly poppy chorus.
    Yep, I think you pretty much nailed that one. Seems cool. Billy Sheehan is exceptionally skilled, but I don't end up loving his playing as much as I wish I did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Billy Sheehan is exceptionally skilled, but I don't end up loving his playing as much as I wish I did.
    Funny, I feel the same way about Sheehan.

By all accounts he's a really nice guy, but I can't really get into his playing style.

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate Billy because, at times, there is often a really tight subtle groove coming through the song, and then all of a sudden you realize "hey that's Billy Sheehan." He can rally play over the top for sure, but listen for the subtlety and tightness of his grooves. He reminds me of Eddie. Eddie can play some great rhythm, but then all of a sudden, out pops a a wild riff and then it's back to keeping it together and supporting the song.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think I'd ever try to play like Billy, but he made it "legal" for bassists to go above the fifth fret and play something other than eighth notes, at least in a rock context. When I played higher on the neck occasionally, guitarists used to ask me why I bothered to do that. I figured I had 20-odd frets; might as well use them! Then Billy came along and no one said that to me anymore.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post
    I don't think I'd ever try to play like Billy, but he made it "legal" for bassists to go above the fifth fret and play something other than eighth notes, at least in a rock context. When I played higher on the neck occasionally, guitarists used to ask me why I bothered to do that. I figured I had 20-odd frets; might as well use them! Then Billy came along and no one said that to me anymore.
    I think (for rock) Geddy Lee and before him, Jack Bruce and Chris Squire really paved the way going up the neck.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you can even go back farther to Jaco.

Post Thanks / Like

Jaco wasn't rock, though. The other three were definitely influences too, but I don't think that they used the bass as a lead instrument quite like Billy did/does. That kind of thing is relatively common in Jazz, but not so much in straight-ahead rock.

Having said that, I'd rather spend the time woodshedding Geddy or Jack Bruce licks than figuring out Billy's stuff. That's just me, though. There are plenty of musicians that I love and respect, but I don't necessarily want to play like.

Post Thanks / Like

These guys will be on The Artie Lange Show (Directv) August 5, 10pm EST.

http://flashwounds.com/2013/07/23/th...t-album-today/

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Gave the album the first listen today. While the style isn't what I really like these days, the musicianship is outstanding. I'll play it again next week without the many interruptions of work.

Post Thanks / Like

Really nice interview with all 3 members.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8_x4...ature=youtu.be

Post Thanks / Like

They've got a video out for "Time Machine" now. The more I listen to this album, the more I like it.

Post Thanks / Like

I really like watching the videos because it seems like they are really enjoying playing.

Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff! Thanks for posting, Spud.