Thread: Strat pickup suggestions to mod budget guitars?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Strat pickup suggestions to mod budget guitars?

Sadly, I only have two modest Strats on deck, and am looking to possibly mod them with better pickups, or better, loaded pickups as pots and caps are of average quality, I think. We have:

SX Strat: I like the guitar, stock pickups are not that bad, but I wonder how much better it could become with interesting, juicy SSS pickups?

Other is a Freecycle Mako (1980s, Japan/Korea, possiblyrelated to Hondo?), very resonant old wood, nice maple neck! It could also use some new wiring

Looking for suggestions for pickups (assuming I improve soldering skills!) or loaded pickups (Carvin, Dragonfire, and like) for the above. Not thinking about spending too much on this, even though it would be interesting to see what would turn up with fancier pickups?
    Less golf, more saxophone

Post Thanks / Like

How much $$?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

That's a sliding scale.. Perhaps 150 on the SX and 60-70 on the Mako?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by poodlesrule View Post
    That's a sliding scale.. Perhaps 150 on the SX and 60-70 on the Mako?
    I just recommended these on another thread. I've never played them, but people seem to think highly of them.
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ken Rose does impressive work. The Mariposa's might be the best bang for the buck.

For a higher price yet nice stuff, the Bare Knuckle offerings are cool. My ultimate high octane GAS choice would be a loaded pick guard with Fender Eric Johnson spec'ed pickups. That puts us North of $300 though!

"The neck pickup is based on a 1954 Strat pickup with oversize Alnico 3 magnets.

The middle pickup is based on a 1963 Strat pickup, uses specially treated Alnico magnets and is wound for hum cancellation when used with the neck or bridge pickup.

The bridge pickup uses Alnico 5 magnets and is specially voiced to be hotter without sacrificing sparkle.
    "

Post Thanks / Like

Harpmaster pickups seem to get good reviews.

http://www.harpmasterpickups.com/

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman View Post
    Harpmaster pickups seem to get good reviews.

http://www.harpmasterpickups.com/
    Isn't he a dealer of Tonerider pickups too? Or are they Tonerider pickups or something? I'm confused apparently.

Post Thanks / Like

I obviously like my Lace Hot Golds, but they aren't the cheapest option. Bill Lawrence Keystones would fit the bill for both price/performance, I would think.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I highly recommend the strat pickups from Porter Pickups - www.porterpickups.com. I have both the 50s set and the Vintage Custom. Both sets sound fantastic. His pickups definitely have that "old school vibe". In other words, if you want modern sounding pickups with none of that "mojo" from the past, look elsewhere.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Guitar Fetish has a variety of pickups at very good prices, although I'm only personally familiar with the GFS Mean 90s that I put in my Epi Dot. They're excellent, BTW, and the company has what seems to be a liberal exchange policy.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-Guitar-Pickups_c_7.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wow, too many choices! That's a nice problem to have.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    Wow, too many choices! That's a nice problem to have.
    That is easily the biggest problem with picking pickups. There's so many! Someone either loves or hates every last one of them. You can listen to clips but unless you have the same set up (and the same chops) you might not sound this same. It'll drive you nuts eventually. I know that both Dimarzio and Seymour Duncan let you trade in a pickup within a certain window if you discover that it's just not doing it for you. Others probably do that as well.

Thankfully, I really liked my Hot Golds from the get-go, so that wasn't an issue.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Default Strat pickup suggestions to mod budget guitars?

I'm a fan of the Seymour Duncan rail collection. With hot rails, cool rails & vintage rails you would have an awesome array of sounds.

These are humbuckers that fit in a single slot and come with punch. Two of Iron Maidens guitarists use the hot rails.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Strat pickup suggestions to mod budget guitars?

Forgot so say new they are a bit pricy, but you may find then used, or just change one at a time as you can afford it. That's what I'm doing

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Check this link out for some evidently remarkable single coils at good prices. http://www.thegearpage.net/board/sho...highlight=Klea

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Duffy!

Working through the pages...
    One possible lesson of the day, quoting:
    "I'll bet I've had 20 " best Strat pickups ever" in my guitar. It doesn't end.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Duffy!

Prob'ly so but I have had, to my ear, some distastefully unremarkable pickups.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Duffy!

There are some numb skull trolls at work in that thread to disregard.