Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
NBD the G&L addiction continues

Thread: NBD the G&L addiction continues

Post Thanks / Like

Cool NBD the G&L addiction continues

Well, I can't seem to stop myself from moving towards G&L basses. This latest one replaces my Squier Classic Vibe. I got a great deal off ebay on her that I couldn't pass up. I really wanted another high-quality jazz bass and found the new Fenders to be a bit too dark for my tastes.

Then, thinking about how much I enjoy my other G&Ls, I figured a G&L jazz would be a good choice. So, when I found on used that I could afford (yeah tax return!), I jumped on it.

Sure enough, it rocks big-time!

It's called Fullerton Red and seems the same as Fender's Fiesta Red.
    Last edited by NWBasser; April 6th, 2013 at 10:02 PM. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like

Nice and sweet !!

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet! Time to bust out the Jaco licks.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post
    Sweet! Time to bust out the Jaco licks.
    For me, it would more likely be Geddy licks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

HNBD! She's a beauty. I like that the hefty bridge G & L uses.

Post Thanks / Like

D'OH! Sorry I missed this, congrats!

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty bass; congrats! Isn't this something like G&L #3 for you? And Jazz bass #...3? I can't keep track. Are you enjoying it so far?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Eric, yes it is G&L #3.

Jazz basses, hmmm let's see. Lakland, then Fender, then Squier, so this would be #4 if I don't count the GW which didn't look like a jazz.

I think I need to stop here.

The new one is a bit heavier than my Squier that I ended up selling. Maybe it's the wood quality, but the harmonics really ring on this one.

Also, the setup was pretty bad when I got it with rather high action. I've been working on that over the last couple of weeks and ended up putting a shim under the neck, adjusting relief, bridge saddles, and intonation. It now has extremely low action without buzzing. Very easy to play too many notes now.

One bad thing is that there is this set-screw on the bottom of the bridge that esssentially pushes the saddles together for better sustain or whatever. Anyway, there was enough space between the bounding sides of the bridge (bridge is U-shaped around the saddles) that it pushed the G & D saddles/strings off the pickup pole pieces a good bit. To "solve" this, I stuck a penny between the A and D saddles to move the saddles more towards the outside and over the pole pieces.

It look cheesy, but works well enough.