Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Amp/axe ratio
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amp/axe ratio

Post Thanks / Like

Default Amp/axe ratio

I found this on another Forum and thought it was interesting enough to post it here:

"I recently read an interesting article that I’ll summarize quickly here.. It basically pointed out that most of us are willing to spend gobs more cash on a guitar or multiple guitars compared to what we would spend on amps or multiple amps.. It also stated this seems to be backwards being 80% of the tone comes from the amp and 20% from the guitar as far as tone shaping is concerned (not going to inject the “tone comes from fingers” case here)… The bottom line question was could we be better served expanding our amp collection/cash instead?? Nobody was trying to downplay the importance of a great guitar, but the article does have merit at least with me (I’m amp shopping). Just curious what you kids thought…

Quote from article; “With such a huge amount of our tone coming from our amps, it is crazy how many of us guitar players neglect our amp collections in order to buy more guitars. It is not uncommon for a player to have 10 guitars and only one amp. That may not be that big of a deal if the amp is exactly the sound the player is shooting for. However, if this is not the case, then it really does not matter what type of guitar they add to the collection, the improvement in tone may only be marginal. Inversely, if the player had 10 different amps and one good guitar, not only would we all want to come over and hang out, but relatively speaking, he can probably dial in just about any tone he would like to.”

Hmmm.....guess I need some more amps.......

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Most of my GAS is over amps. I'd love to have a VOX AC-15, a Mesa Express 5:25, and an Allen or a Vintage Sound Amps for nailing classic Fender tones better than the new Fenders but without the pain of an old amp. OK, let's add a Dr. Z and I'm done... Maybe...

Sexy guitars get all the attention, though.

Post Thanks / Like

I was a major offender of the lots-of-guitars-and-very-few-amps thing for a while, but I agree with the idea of the quote. However, I do think that one decent modeler can go a long long long way these days. And 'decent' can be pretty darn cheap.

There's a lot you can do with an Epiphone/MIM/whatever and a Pod.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Default Amp/axe ratio

Looks like I fell into the minority by accident.

Admittedly, I was saving for a great guitar when my amp became unreliable.

I have a $200 strat copy with Seymour Duncan Humbucker and a Peavey Audition 7.5Watt practice amp. For two years that was adequate.

I was close to getting a Schecter Hellraiser when the Peavey failed. So I got a Marshall. It makes the cheap guitar sound good.

I'll fix the peavey & get my Schecter in time, but a good amp makes a lot of difference

Post Thanks / Like

I'm probably two or three to one in favor of guitars over amps.

But that's just me.

Post Thanks / Like

[deleted post]

Post Thanks / Like

I started heavy on the guitars and have been migrating gradually towards the amps. My guitar: amp ratio is now 1.67 (10:6). Might be going to 1.43 soon, if I can find what I'm looking for....

It may be true that most of your tone comes from the amp, but they don't have nearly the same aesthetic and tactile attraction that a guitar has, which I think is a big reason why players almost always have more (and commonly many more) guitars than amps. How they look and how they feel in your hands is a huge part of the overall appeal.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman View Post
    It may be true that most of your tone comes from the amp, but they don't have nearly the same aesthetic and tactile attraction that a guitar has, which I think is a big reason why players almost always have more (and commonly many more) guitars than amps. How they look and how they feel in your hands is a huge part of the overall appeal.
    Totally agree with this. Still doesn't really make sense in a pragmatic way though, does it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

I've been toying with the idea of getting a second amp and splitting my signal, playing with the tonal possibilities of going out to two different amp/effects chains. Dunno. Other things I am GASing for harder at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've been running a Morley A/B AB switch box to two amps (Fender Super Champ X2 and the Egnater Tweeker)and love how creative it can be. Most of the time I split the signal after the effects board and set the amps up for different tones, but with a few more cables I'll split the signal to run one amp with delay and one with reverb, or one over driven and the other clean but at the same volume, etc. The possibilities are many.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    I've been running a Morley A/B AB switch box to two amps (Fender Super Champ X2 and the Egnater Tweeker)and love how creative it can be. Most of the time I split the signal after the effects board and set the amps up for different tones, but with a few more cables I'll split the signal to run one amp with delay and one with reverb, or one over driven and the other clean but at the same volume, etc. The possibilities are many.

Yes. Something like that appeals to the tone junkie in me.

Post Thanks / Like

Axes: Agile 3100, Xaviere XV-870(DVM mod), PRS SE, 50th Anniversary Fender Lonestar Strat.
    Amphs: Peavey Studio Pro 110, Mesa Boogie TA-15, Avid 11r w/ Tech21 PowerEngine, Roland Cube 60.
    Ratio: 1:1
    I cant figure out what that means in this context...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Monkus View Post
    Axes: Agile 3100, Xaviere XV-870(DVM mod), PRS SE, 50th Anniversary Fender Lonestar Strat.
    Amphs: Peavey Studio Pro 110, Mesa Boogie TA-15, Avid 11r w/ Tech21 PowerEngine, Roland Cube 60.
    Ratio: 1:1
    I cant figure out what that means in this context...
    It obviously marks you as a tonal visionary, a man ahead of his time!

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm a sucker for low-watt practice amps, especially when they surface with dirt cheap asking prices.

If I "acquire" a Vibro Champ XD from Craigslist, my ratio will be 2:3. I'll have to find an acoustic sound hole pickup to bring the ratio to an even 1:1.
    Nothing is anything until it is written. After that, it's everything.

Post Thanks / Like

It obviously marks you as a tonal visionary, a man ahead of his time!
    lol if only....nice words though...

Post Thanks / Like

Sigh, Ok.....
    My DVM "visionary" status has just been revoked. Traded an amph for a MIM Tele. Ratio stands at 5:4. Gory details here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Monkus View Post
    Sigh, Ok.....
    My DVM "visionary" status has just been revoked. Traded an amph for a MIM Tele. Ratio stands at 5:4. Gory details here.
    Relax, this is easily remedied--just buy another amp! Geez, do I have to do all the thinking around here??

P.S. Nice Tele!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I started heavy on the guitars and have been migrating gradually towards the amps. My guitar: amp ratio is now 1.67 (10:6). Might be going to 1.43 soon, if I can find what I'm looking for....
    Reduction of guitar:amp ratio to 1.43 now underway. Ordered the 1x12 kit version of THIS last week....

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Reduction of guitar:amp ratio to 1.43 now underway. Ordered the 1x12 kit version of THIS last week....
    Cool! Now, make sure to properly "age" those parts before assembly!
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast