Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Chapman Stick???

Thread: Chapman Stick???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Chapman Stick???

I was looking up some Jethro Tull video to pass the time away at work and found this.

Heres Jethro Tulls "Wond'ring Aloud" as played on a Chapman Stick

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...&q=jethro+tull

Apparently this thing is ALL THAT and a bucket of chicken

Heres the website.

http://www.stick.com
    Ron Paul is like Kryptonite to Tyranny

Guitars:
    MIM Fender Stratocaster, Ibanez AS73, Fender F210, Martin Backpaker Steel-String

Amps:
    Behringer V-Tone 2x10 60W, Marshall G10 MkII, Danelectro E-Studio Honeytone.

Pedals:
    Danelectro Corned Beef reverb, Johnson flanger, DOD FX25 envelope filter, Behringer Hellbabe wah, Digitech Bad Monkey

Post Thanks / Like

Also heres the Tull I was looking for

Guitars:
    MIM Fender Stratocaster, Ibanez AS73, Fender F210, Martin Backpaker Steel-String

Amps:

Pedals:
    Danelectro Corned Beef reverb, Johnson flanger, DOD FX25 envelope filter, Behringer Hellbabe wah, Digitech Bad Monkey

Post Thanks / Like

The stick is mighty cool & I have a fondness for Tull. Now that you mention it, they seem made for each other.

Chicken Rob can you bring that bucket of chicken back to life?

...ARISE
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Check out Steve Hahn. http://www.deepchocolate.com/

I met him this past spring when he opened up for The Flower Kings in Denver Colorado. Really nice guy and very at peace with himself. Astounding stick player. It was just him and a smoking hot drummer and the sound was HUGE! All the proggers were happily amazed and embraced his music enthusiastically.

I listen to a lot of Tony Levin solo stuff, King Crimson and Peter Gabriel music that he plays on. Tony is one of the best known stick players, but Steve's thing was different than Tony's and so cool. I can only imagine how insane it would be using a looper pedal.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Rob
    Also heres the Tull I was looking for

I'm watching it now.

Great stuff for an old Tull fan like myself.

THICK AS A BRICK!!

Heavy Horses was the last album that I bought. That was around '78.
    At one time I had all of them up to Heavy Horses.

O, the memories. Talk about living in the past....

Thanks for scratching it up Chickenhead Rob!
    Last edited by tot_Ou_tard; December 30th, 2006 at 07:01 AM.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Well... Not to be a hater or anything, but has anyone used the Chapman stick for anything other than "smooth jazz" and polite instrumental covers of pop songs? It's an extraordinary instrument for sure, but while I've heard people with serious chops playing the thing, I've never heard stick music that's visceral, compelling, or original enough to overcome the novelty of the instrument. I want to hear ska and punk and death metal and hip-hop on a stick. I want to hear some down-and-out guy who grew up on mean city streets playing some ripsnorting stick blues. Who's the Hendrix of the stick? The Kurt Cobain? The Segovia? What would slide stick sound like? Is there a way to rig a stick with a vibrato bridge? What does a stick sound like if you set it on fire?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ro3b
    What does a stick sound like if you set it on fire?
    LOL! Yeah, didn't see Jimi dousing one with lighter fluid at Monterey!

But everybody knows a stick is better than a guitar 'cuz they burn longer!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Well... Not to be a hater or anything, but has anyone used the Chapman stick for anything other than "smooth jazz" and polite instrumental covers of pop songs? It's an extraordinary instrument for sure, but while I've heard people with serious chops playing the thing, I've never heard stick music that's visceral, compelling, or original enough to overcome the novelty of the instrument. I want to hear ska and punk and death metal and hip-hop on a stick. I want to hear some down-and-out guy who grew up on mean city streets playing some ripsnorting stick blues. Who's the Hendrix of the stick? The Kurt Cobain? The Segovia? What would slide stick sound like? Is there a way to rig a stick with a vibrato bridge? What does a stick sound like if you set it on fire?
    I second through 52nd this statement!!

Put a blowtorch in as a neck pup & a 3-way switch & play some punk ska mean & gritty blues through a Marshall Stack on it!
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

I could see the blues, jazz (not necessarily smooth), and acoustical music, but not anything else. The $1600.00 and up price is WAY out of my ball park, so I'm not going to be getting one anytime soon

Guitars:

Amps:

Pedals:

Post Thanks / Like

I'm waiting for Squier to make a '51 stick, myself.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm waiting for Squier to make a '51 stick, myself.
    lol....now that's funny....i don't care who you are!

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah