Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Lowering of frets

Thread: Lowering of frets

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lowering of frets

Hey. Recently took my LP for a setup and bit of a clean to my local guitar workshop. He asked me if there way anything else I wanted doing. Then suggested lowering the frets. I must stress, NOT lowering the action, but the frets. To make it a bit easier to play, supposedly. More like the speed bump style frets if you run your fingers up a strats neck, as opposed to the higher, wall like frets that come on new les Paul's.
    as you can probably tell, I've not had my any of my guitars modified before and wonder if any one had had this done? And if it changed it fit the better? I told him to go ahead and do it because it sounded like it was a good idea. Cheers for the help you sexy mother hubbards.
    Ps. It's a studio if that's makes a difference.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had frets leveled or crowned but I would never have them intentionally "lowered". Once lowered you can't go back without completely replacing all the frets and that gets expensive. I like to be able to get a bit of my finger under the string when bending notes too. If the frets are too low then they are too close to the fretboard and there is no space to get under them. I think the "lowering" would actually make it harder to play rather than easier, at least for my style of playing.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I'm with Spud on this. All you would seem to be accomplishing is making it harder to play and hastening the day you'd need a refret.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to like lower frets, but I would not change a guitar in that way (unless I was getting it re-fretted)...I'd just get a guitar with frets more like what I like.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm getting it back tomorrow so will report back as to how it feels

Post Thanks / Like

I really like it. Frets are shallower. Smoother. Sounds good, feels good

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you like it . . . although I probably still wouldn't have done it. Would you mind me asking how much that procedure set you back?
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like