Thread: Stop and go video buffering

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stop and go video buffering

This is not really a Fret.net site problem, but I encounter it here when I wan to view a posted video. Has anyone else been having problems with Youtube videos buffering really slowly, stopping and starting? I never had this problem before the last couple of months, but it is so irritating I've almost given up watching videos. Last night I upgraded my FIOS service to 50/25 rate thinking that would fix the issue, but no change! Is it me or is it Youtube - or, .....?

Post Thanks / Like

I had some terrible streaming problems for quite a while. I bought a new computer and everything is fine now. I think something was failing in the old computer. My printer quit getting the proper commands from the computer too and I also had problems connecting my recording interface. You might have a component going out in the computer.

I still have a slight stuttering issue with streaming or listening back to music on my hard drive. That is a conflict issue with a couple of processes happening at the same time on the same IRQ in the computer, I think. Otherwise, I didn't notice any problems with YouTube. Do a speed test and make sure your ISP is giving you the bandwidth you are paying for.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

This may work for you, right click on the Video and go to settings. Click on the Local storage and move slider to the right. Now try playing the same video.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, guys for the suggestions. I don't want to think that it's the machine...because I don't want to buy a new one! It's weird because sometimes a vid will run badly the first time and then fine later on, some always seem to be bad. however I'm not convinced it's a traffic issue since I never used to have the problem, and I've upgraded to a higher speed Fios. reducing the resolution to the lowest resolution setting is about the only thing that helps, but you can see that the buffering is so slow that it can't keep ahead of the playback. Ironically, Verizon's (my provider) demo video explaining internet speed is one of the worst!

Post Thanks / Like

Find out how much memory your motherboard will accept, and install it. Ram is super cheap these days. Then if you use on-board graphics, allocate as much memory to your graphics as you can. Other option is to get a new (higher resolution) video card.

Post Thanks / Like

Every so often YouTube gets stupid for me. I have no idea why. Even at the lowest resolution, it won't want to stream. I have never been able to figure out why.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!"--Carl Brutananadilewski

Post Thanks / Like

I always know when I'm running up on my usage limits with my ISP when YouTube and Netflix start to do the ol' stop and go routine. I'll get a letter in the mail shortly thereafter notifying me of how much bandwidth I'm hogging.

Post Thanks / Like

Kat, that's interesting. I don't think we use that much bandwidth, but my wife and sister-in-law do stream Netflix evenings... Do you know how to tell what your usage limits are? I've never gotten any letters of emails....

Post Thanks / Like

The ISP should be able to tell you what your limits are. We were on the cheaper high speed plan (which really wasn't that fast at all, but still better than dial up), and the ISP told us that if we watched more than 9 or 10 movies at Netflix per month, it would eat up our allotment in a hurry. We would then have to pony up more cash to purchase another "block" of bandwidth at that point.