Thread: Found today: Life magazines, 1969 to ... fun!

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Found today: Life magazines, 1969 to ... fun!

I bought three boxes of various 78s records today (with a couple of Les Paul, again!). At the bottom of one of the boxes, bonus 10 copies of Life magazine, most from 1969-1970, and two from 79.

Funny stuff!
    Every 3d ad is for cigarettes or booze!
    Typesetting and graphics feel very different from current digital-age stuff. Very organic, warm and pleasant.
    Cars were cheap and big (around $2700)
    One article: Two arts, two visions: The art of ballet, The tumult of Hendrix (!)
    AT&T ad: If you have "International Dialing" you can dial overseas direct yourself, saving 90 cts.. (whoopee!)
    Oh yeah, more booze...!
    Less golf, more saxophone

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by poodlesrule View Post
    Cars were cheap and big (around $2700)
    Big, yes, but cheap . . . $2700 in 1970 dollars is about $16K today, adjusted for inflation. That's why you always have to be careful when you look at how "cheap" old Gibsons, etc., originally were.

Nevertheless, cool find! It's always interesting to reexamine the past.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I just sold some 78s this weekend. Bob Wills and one Woodie Guthrie with a crack.

Those old magazines are a blast. Retro blogs (such as mine) are full of them.
    Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Ultra; pretty red Squier Acoustic;
    Amps: Vox VT30;
    Pedals: Dunlop Fuzz Face; Dunlop Crybaby Wah
    My kids have: Squier Affinity Stratocaster MII; Fender G-DEC; Squire Acoustic; Jay Turser Strat-copy, Roland Cube amp

"I am a sworn enemy of the saccharine, and a believer in grace over karma." Bono 2001