Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
For the hardcore

Thread: For the hardcore

Post Thanks / Like

Default For the hardcore

http://social.entertainment.msn.com/...5-9317309a2f1a

Never liked them but for those that do.

I was informed by a friend cause he suffered liver failure.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw that. He got one of those strange flesh eating diseases from a spider bite. Not sure if that's what did his liver in or not. I'm not a huge Slayer fan, but you can't discount their impact on metal.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I guess it's theorized that he ended up with necrotizing fasciitis from a brown recluse spider bite, which is apparently a common complication from bites from these spiders. Nasty.

Really makes you wonder if the stress on his body from such a serious infection--and the powerful drugs that were no doubt used to fight it--wasn't at least a contributor to his liver failure.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

dvm the meds are harsh on the liver the interferon shots I had to get rid of was like chemo I had no energy was really sick etc etc. and my liver rejected it anyways.Infections and livers (bad ones dont mix)

Post Thanks / Like

That's too bad. Was he like the lead guitarist or something? I thought Kerry King did all of the spastic E-string riffs, so I'm assuming this guy did everything else. I can't say that I know a single Slayer song.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    That's too bad. Was he like the lead guitarist or something? I thought Kerry King did all of the spastic E-string riffs, so I'm assuming this guy did everything else. I can't say that I know a single Slayer song.
    Once again, I'm not a huge Slayer fan, but I think they both played rhythm and lead. I'm a fan of thrash metal, but of the "Big 4" (Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax), Slayer was always the most in-your-face with anti-Christian and anti-religion themes. Obviously I didn't feel the need to listen. Interestingly (or oddly) their lead singer/bassist, Tom Araya, is a practicing Catholic. I've always wondered how he and King get along.

Anyway, for your Slayer edumacation, here's probably their "Stairway to Heaven":
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post
    Once again, I'm not a huge Slayer fan, but I think they both played rhythm and lead. I'm a fan of thrash metal, but of the "Big 4" (Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax), Slayer was always the most in-your-face with anti-Christian and anti-religion themes. Obviously I didn't feel the need to listen. Interestingly (or oddly) their lead singer/bassist, Tom Araya, is a practicing Catholic. I've always wondered how he and King get along.
    I've sometimes wondered how Kerry King gets along with anyone, but whatever. To each his own, I suppose.

That song wasn't too bad except for the guitar solos at the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman View Post
    I guess it's theorized that he ended up with necrotizing fasciitis from a brown recluse spider bite, which is apparently a common complication from bites from these spiders. Nasty.
    Brown recluse spiders are definitely something to take seriously. Even when treated properly and in a timely manner, they can be really nasty wounds. They're fairly common here in Florida and I have absolutely decimated several wolf spiders I've found in my house mistaking them for recluses, which is not to say I wouldn't have killed the wolf spiders also, but perhaps not with the level of brutality I used when I thought it was a recluse. Paranoia plus adrenaline made for some very dead spiders.

As to this man's passing, though I was never a fan of Slayer, their impact on metal was undeniable and it's sad when anyone dies this young. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't really listen to Slayer all that much, but went to a few live shows over the years and they were awesome. Lots of energy onstage, even just a couple of years ago, hard to believe guys of that age (my age!) could kick it that hard night after night. Got down in the mosh pit and was knocked down once and a very nice, tatooed young man gave me a hand up, commenting, "Dude, you're like the oldest guy I've seen in a mosh pit!" A very cathartic experience...unlike Metallica and many of their contemporaries, those guys were hard core, never trying to gain any popular mass appeal, staying true to their roots. Sorry to hear of Jeff's passing...the brown recluse is a very nasty beast indeed!

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently it was alcohol related cirrhosis that killed him, not complications from the spider bite.

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently it was alcohol related cirrhosis that killed him, not complications from the spider bite.
    I can see where that would make it difficult to deal with the meds or the spider bite either one. Not a fan. Metallica and Megadeth was all I could tolerate and that was only because I had friends that were Metal bands. Was asked to join one that went on to do really well. Do not recall there name. Crazy dudes they were!!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh the joys from the 80's keeps on giving! With my daily struggles I do regret my bad judgment.Maybe you young superman wannabe's can learn from ones mistakes!

Please see this post for what it is. Maybe this will change one persons life. I would not change the life I've lead for anything.

If I had a do-over I might tweak a few things like duhvoodooman on an amp or pedal build!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I know what you mean about a few tweaks, Muddy! But thanks for passing those thoughts along - like you say, if they make a difference to one person, you done something good.

Post Thanks / Like

I was never a big fan of the band, but there were so many great Slayer jokes that I thought of them often.

Jeff seemed to be the most talented one out of the two guitar players. Not too many people have good things to say about Kerry King.

RIP Jeff.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.