Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
NGD - I could use your help on this..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NGD - I could use your help on this..

Post Thanks / Like

Default NGD - I could use your help on this..

Picked up another Tele today. Nice Callaham stainless steel bridge, Bob Urban Vintage T in the bridge (alnico III, 6.7K handwound), crappy Epi Dot hum in the neck (it'll get changed for sumpin', just not sure what). Two questions:

Any suggestion for the neck? I'll have to buy it anyway, so I'm open to anything from mini to full size humbucker. Don't even know what tones I'm after, since I have some other lumber that pretty much fills my needs. This was just a "too good to be true $$" kind of deal.

And secondly, that single-ply black is hideous. What color guard should I buy?

[IMG][/IMG]

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, (understand I'm a bit of a weirdo), I would go with a Gibson in the neck... probably a burstbucker. Just love putting a little meat on a tele. And since you asked because it's ultimately up to you, I like the black pickguard. I would just replace it with a multi-ply. That is a good looking tele! Nice score Zip!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: NGD - I could use your help on this..

Rwrp p90?
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

It would help to know what kind of music you want it for........but since you have Alnico 3s in the bridge......how about the creamiest Alnico 2 around......http://bg-pups.com/index.php?p=product&id=3

I have this in one of my lap steels and it kills.

I love the burst color of your Tele....maybe it's the lighting....lol.......just get rid of the pickguard and let the color of the git shine through.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have a bound burst tele (CVC) in that color. I thought I was going to change out the PG for a tort one, but the mint one it came with really grew on me. Maybe 3 ply mint. As far as tje pup, no idea what to tell you.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful Tele, Zip. Callaham is a costly perk, too. Nice catch.

As for the neck, what about remaining in the Fender Pool, and finding a "wide range" humbucker like they put in the Tele Deluxe's and Thinlines? I think they need a slightly larger route than a standard humbucker, however. Any available slop under the PG? If you can't squeeze that in, maybe just a down n dirty Duncan 59. they're everywhere are pretty reasonably priced too.

Should be a blast either way.
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

You could always go completely nuts: http://www.thefret.net/showthread.ph...l=1#post229078
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Any suggestion for the neck? I'll have to buy it anyway, so I'm open to anything from mini to full size humbucker. Don't even know what tones I'm after, since I have some other lumber that pretty much fills my needs. This was just a "too good to be true $$" kind of deal.
    ----------------------

I'd put a Railhammer Hypervintage (HV) Neck HB in it...I have the Bridge version in my Rev Reeves Gabrels and it really rocks, nice chimey highs, good bass and screams with a little OD. The Railhammers are designed to stay real articulate between the 3 top and bottom strings and the Hypervintage still sounds like a vintage PAF, but with cojones! And you'd have the only tele I've heard of with them...my 2 cents anyway!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: the pickguard, tort always looks good on classic sunburst. On my Squier CV Tele Custom, I went with white pearloid--see pic below. Couldn't warm up to the stock mint one.

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, all - you've got me thinking in different directions now. A good thing.

Turns out this is a real partscaster. The body is definitely Alder from the grain (to my eyes anyway), so you're right Steve - a CVC. The single-ply scratchplate is from Warmoth. The neck pup is an Epi LP pup (same difference as a Dot). Pretty sure the neck is an Allparts with a Tele waterslide. The nut is either ivory or graphtech, installed with gobs of ****ing SUPERGLUE.

Pie, I think I'll use this for punk/funk. A friend wants to solder a Pearly Gates in the neck for me (for $$, I'm sure). Would sound nice, but I dunno...that Railhammer HV sounds like a good plan, too. I might go for something with some bite tho. Still on the fence. BTW, the Bob Urban bridge pup is awesome. Really pronounced mids, good Tele twang. I don't know if he's still winding them tho. Haven't tried to contact him yet. And Voodooman, I'm liking the pearloid scratchplate. Who makes them 5-hole (or did you just drill in the extra screws)?

Post Thanks / Like

Default NGD - I could use your help on this..

What a beautiful looking tele!
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, sting - it's in pieces on my workbench now, but it'll come together nicely soon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zip View Post
    And Voodooman, I'm liking the pearloid scratchplate. Who makes them 5-hole (or did you just drill in the extra screws)?
    Warmoth will make you a 5-hole: http://www.warmoth.com/Pickguard/TelePickguard.aspx

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

OK, got offered a See More Duncan '59 neck for under 40 bucks. Go with it or pass?

Post Thanks / Like

A Duncan 59 for that price is a good deal.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used this pup in many configs .I like it !!

Post Thanks / Like

Mini-update: Shimmed the neck, and now it intonates perfectly. Deglossed the back of the neck, and it's smooth as butter. So far, I'm happy and starting to bond with it. I'm not a Tele guy (although I now own 2), but I think I'm becoming one. Still haven't done the neck p'up upgrade though.

Post Thanks / Like

Micro-update: Did the "cocked wah" mod (bridge pup). Still haven't changed the 'bucker yet. Or the 'guard.
    Last edited by Zip; April 25th, 2013 at 09:57 AM. Reason: edited for lunacy

Post Thanks / Like

nice axe!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast