Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Another Tele Pickup Query: which Grestsch pickup for neck?

Thread: Another Tele Pickup Query: which Grestsch pickup for neck?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Another Tele Pickup Query: which Grestsch pickup for neck?

I have already taken aim at a P90 from BG pickups as a replacement for the neck pickup that is not working in my CVC tele. Along the way, DVM turned me on to this option for a swappable pickup system: http://www.elek-trix.com/collections...h-3-way-switch

It is a solderless system with pot values that are switchable between 250 and 500k. Now, I am not thinking I am doing this now, but I could see myself getting one of these in the long run so I could run a pick guard with some sort of Gretsch style humbucker such as a Filtertron or Powertron etc. The idea of a Gretschified tele sounds fun as well, though right now I am stuck on the P90 idea. I had bought this tele thinking I might mess around with modding it at some point with a swappable system, and this new system looks a lot nicer and more flexible than the Duncan Liberator one I had known about before. It could be fun to have a Swiss Army knife type tele.

So, which Gretsch type pickup is the best to put in the neck of a tele along with a tele bridge pickup? My bridge pickup is an Alnico V.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Here is my tele opened up.

The wiring harness thing would fit, and it should all work. As DVM noted in his "Two Teles in One" thread, on the CV's there is a raised section of wood in the control cavity (a little hard to see in this pic) where the ground connects that has to be taken out with a chisel so the new harness will fit if I go that way. not a huge deal. I found pickguards that you can order on Warmoth that will fit this pattern 5 hole PG, and which can be cut for different pickup sizes. So it is all doable.

Interestingly, after I took it apart, I looked at and wiggled the connections to see what was going on. Looked ok to me. Put the control plate back on and plugged the guitar in w/o the PG. The neck pickup now works! So I guess one of the connections must be loose or something in a way that I did not see.

therefore, none of this project is strictly necessary. Just for fun I guess. Which is ok too.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

No input for you on a best choice Gretsch humbucker, but just an FYI that I ordered one of the Santellan units (the 4-way version) to check it out. Also got it with the push-pull "tone control upgrade", which removes the tone control from the circuit when actuated, like one of those "no-load" pots. If you substitute it for the stock tone control module, it's only an $8 adder.

Will install the Santellan unit in my CV Custom Tele. I've replaced the stock alnico 5 pickups (which sounded just fine, but were a little brighter/twangier than I prefer) with a Fender Custom Shop Nocaster (used) at the bridge and a new Twisted Tele neck pickup I found for cheap on eBay. It'll be fun playing around with the Elek-Trix switches to see how the tone is affected.

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw View Post
    Interestingly, after I took it apart, I looked at and wiggled the connections to see what was going on. Looked ok to me. Put the control plate back on and plugged the guitar in w/o the PG. The neck pickup now works! So I guess one of the connections must be loose or something in a way that I did not see.
    Hmmm, if you didn't see anything physically disconnected, it's probably either a twitchy solder joint or a problem in the pickup switch.

When the neck pickup wasn't working, did you happen to notice if the middle switch position sounded just like the bridge? If it did, then the pickup wasn't making connection at or before the switch. But if the middle position still had that scooped Tele middle position tone, then the problem is in the switch itself.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The middle position sounded as though only the bridge was activated, so I think it is more likely a twitchy solder joint. Now that both are working, I am really noticing how much thinner, (not necessarily less actual volume, but thin by comparison) the stock bridge sounds than either the neck only or the middle position. I have never played bridge only much on any of my guitars, except sometimes the Hagstrom with its humbuckers. And when I do play the strat or tele on the bridge, I have had it significantly distorted. But all alone, just not my taste I guess. Interesting.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

And it is not working again. Wonky solder indeed. I cannot see anything wrong with the solder joints as you can see in this picture, Unless I am missing something. Oh well, I guess it is more motivation to go ahead with the project.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Not being a clean, twangy country player, when I use my Tele bridge pickup, it's pretty much always with the treble rolled back a bit, and some overdrive to give a fuller sound and some compression.

Re: your twitchy pickup connection, bad solder joints are often not visually evident. Also, the problem could be up at the pickup end, though that's less likely. I would try remelting the solder for the neck pickup wire connections and see if that does the trick.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hmm, after I realized you swapped out your bridge pickup, (and I see it is based on an A3 magnet) now I am really starting to think about mixing things up. Of course the simple thing would be to re-do the solder joints and have done with it. But I have never been a big fan of that bridge pickup. Thinking about putting something based on an A3 in similar to this, which also has the P90 I am interested in it.

I like the sound of that A3 Rockwind in the bridge too. Seems like it has a bit more meat.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Bryna's A3 Rock-Winds are one of the favorite pups of my luthier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by piebaldpython View Post
    Bryna's A3 Rock-Winds are one of the favorite pups of my luthier.
    I am waffling between that and an A5 rock wind right now. I am not sure but it seems like the A5 rock wind might retain a bit more tele bite and twang but be fatter than the stock pups where the A3 has quite a bit less twang and is more a modern rock sound. I am going to try to talk to Bryan about it.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson