Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Post a band you have rediscovered.

Thread: Post a band you have rediscovered.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Post a band you have rediscovered.

What old band or artist are you listening to that you had not in a while?

For me, it is Heart. Right now I am going back to near the beginning and listening to the Little Queen album.

I had dumped Heart along with most of that style of rock when I found punk. Now I am enjoying it again
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Post a band you have rediscovered.

Weather Report.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, Jaco!

I need to learn some Blue Cheer and Mott the Hoople (don't ask why - yes, it's for 2 different bands). Small Faces, too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks to you Fretters, I've rediscovered many bands and artists that I passed by from either ignorance or because I dismissed them since was focused on other musical styles. The list is embarrassingly large!
    Just a few highlights:
    Joe Strummer And The Mescaleros
    Neko Case
    Warren Haynes
    Joe Bonamassa
    Steve Earle
    Drive-By Truckers
    Jason Isbell And The 400 Unit
    Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree
    The Black Keys
    Spock's Beard
    ...and more that I'm forgetting...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    Thanks to you Fretters, I've rediscovered many bands and artists that I passed by from either ignorance or because I dismissed them since was focused on other musical styles. The list is embarrassingly large!
    Just a few highlights:
    Joe Strummer And The Mescaleros
    Neko Case
    Warren Haynes
    Joe Bonamassa
    Steve Earle
    Drive-By Truckers
    Jason Isbell And The 400 Unit
    Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree
    The Black Keys
    Spock's Beard
    ...and more that I'm forgetting...
    I take pride in helping direct your focus back onto some of these.

Personally, I've been rediscovering a lot of artists for myself as I introduce my daughter to their music. Recently she's helped me remember why it is I love Paul Simon so much.

Post Thanks / Like

Let's see, over the past few weeks....an audio blues-fest:
    Luther Allison
    Albert Collins
    Coco Montoya
    Susan Tedeschi (pre-Derek Trucks)
    Debbie Davies
    Sue Foley
    Joanna Connor
    Shannon Curfman

If anyone wants a specific CD reference, I can supply that if need be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw View Post
    What old band or artist are you listening to that you had not in a while?

For me, it is Heart. Right now I am going back to near the beginning and listening to the Little Queen album.

I had dumped Heart along with most of that style of rock when I found punk. Now I am enjoying it again
    I also love listening to Heart, although I never really stopped. Steve Fossen is an incredibly talented bass player if you pay attention to what he's doing.

I guess I've been rediscovering Iron Maiden lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Graham Central Station. I got their new album and I like it. I've got to dig into some of the old stuff now.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post
    Graham Central Station. I got their new album and I like it. I've got to dig into some of the old stuff now.
    Larry Graham is the man. He remains one of only two bass players that are the exception to my "no slapping" preference.

Post Thanks / Like

Humble Pie, Uriah Heep, and old bands from the 60s that just fell short of major stardom have been getting my attention lately. Bands like the Standells, 13th Floor Elevators, etc.
    Last edited by guitarhack; May 14th, 2013 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Misspelled word

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There are a few that I let pass by, mostly because of radio over play or early MTV saturation.
    Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers -They created so many great songs that never got radio play, you can enjoy their huge library of deep tracks. Their Live Anthology album is a must have.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    There are a few that I let pass by, mostly because of radio over play or early MTV saturation.
    Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers -They created so many great songs that never got radio play, you can enjoy their huge library of deep tracks. Their Live Anthology album is a must have.
    +1

I had put Petty on the shelf for a long time because I felt I'd heard it all so many times. In the last year or so I've started listening again and I'm getting much more out of it than I ever had. Part of that is sharing the music with my kid, part of it is just hearing it again after giving it room to breathe.

Post Thanks / Like

J.J. Grey & Mofro!!!

Tunes are a van Morrison remake tupelo honey (choice cuts) and a tune the sun is shining down from (country ghetto)!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I saw JJ & Mofro in a small club here last year. They either opened for Dickie Betts & Great Southern, or it was 2 seperate nights at the same club. I forget. Either way, both were very impressive! Great musicianship and tons of fun. JJ is really personable.

Post Thanks / Like

JoJo Gunne - The band featured Jay Ferguson (Thunder Island) and Mark Andes (Spirit).

I listened to them a lot in 75-76. Some pretty catch, yet edgy, stuff for back then. I just recently re-discovered them, and this album, and it still resonates well with me. I was in my mid teens when this came out, and was coming into manhood, so the memories are strong.

The full image when the alubm was completely open. Some say this contrubuted for the lack of sales or success.
    http://www.mihamazzini.com/plosce/images/gunne.jpg

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.