Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NGD 60's Road Worn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Glacies View Post
    I would rather pay my tech for it than juggle it back and fourth with GC, but I just want to make sure a shimmed neck isn't the sign of other problems and won't affect anything adversely. The switch thing is a non-issue. I'd fix it myself if I didn't have a policy about working on my guitars.
    Shimming is very common to bolt-on guitars and doesn't indicate any problems.

FWIW, I put a shim in my new G&L JB and it made a world of improvement. That bass is not a cheapie by any means either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cebreez View Post
    I just reread my post. I hope that didn't sound rude. I really didn't mean it that way. I actually almost bought one. Same thing, I couldn't put it down. But I wanted it because I wouldn't have worried so much about what happened to it cosmetically.
    He he, I thought the same thing. It's already worn and scratched.

I agree too that they're hard to put down. Something special about those Roadworns. I've heard the basses are really top-flight too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

sounds like an awesome guitar! Congrats! I hope the minor problems sort themselves out.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Default NGD 60's Road Worn

Shim it yourself. In fact, learn to maintain your own guitars. No one can know better than you how you like your guitars to feel and play. I had a tele custom built for me and I needed to shim the neck just a tad. I used a piece of business card. Problem resolved. Enjoy the hell out of your guitar.
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Stingx,

I'm actually really scared to do this. I am the head of experimental testing at an engineering research facility, have no qualms about totally ripping apart my amp, but messing with the guitar scares the hell out of me. Is there a good tutorial you know of? I admit I never had my tech solder anything for me, and I'm totally anal about solder joints, so I have been contemplating doing this myself.

So we played that party on Saturday night and just destroyed it. This guitar just cut through the mix so my solos were so freakin incredible, I got lost in my own little world a couple of times and had to figure a way out of it. That happened really badly when we played Blood Sugar Sex Magik by the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I broke into the solo, totally forgot where I was so I just dropped the volume a bit and kept going until the end, where I juiced it and went crazy. Everyone clapped at the end and the band guys were like "Holy hell! We never heard you play like that before!"

I never heard myself play like that before either! It's the guitar man. This is just my guitar...

Post Thanks / Like

Shims are 100% reversible so if you make a mistake, you just put things back where they were.

I'm a first-class idiot and managed the shim job just fine. Nothing to it really and it helps a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm less worried about the shim after playing this for a bit. He was trying to get the action lower at the higher frets, but I am playing it really well where it is. I'm not particularly shreddy and I play chords hard so when the action is much lower than it is now, I get a lot of buzz. Where he put it is perfect in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default NGD 60's Road Worn

Quote Originally Posted by stingx View Post
    Shim it yourself. In fact, learn to maintain your own guitars. No one can know better than you how you like your guitars to feel and play. I had a tele custom built for me and I needed to shim the neck just a tad. I used a piece of business card. Problem resolved. Enjoy the hell out of your guitar.
    StingX, I like your attitude. Good to have you around!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12