Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
NGD 60's Road Worn
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NGD 60's Road Worn

Post Thanks / Like

Default NGD 60's Road Worn

As some of you may have remembered, I have been struggling to find something that is a little bit more pro-grade which I use to describe the idea that I want real quality across the board. I've looked at RG's, considered some custom Carvin's and have been all over the map. My uncle told me that since I like Frusciante so much, I should check out the Road Worn series by Fender because they are really similar in tone and feel to the real old strats, which he has. He's got a 57 and maybe a 62, I can't remember.

So I tried it out and I couldn't put it down. I still can't put it down. I sit at work fantasizing about when I'm going to get to play it again. I can move effortlessly up and down the fretboard with the worn neck. I can play high on the neck without a problem (always a struggle for me on my Les Paul). The pickups are very distinctive, classic fender tone, but a lot of USEFUL variety across the switch which is something I just don't see on any of the other SSS guitars I've played (with the exception of when I started getting into the real strats). Every single setting is just full of just awesome tone, I just can't get over it.

I am playing a party with my old band this weekend and very excited to unveil it there. I am still getting used to the new fretboard so hopefully I don't do any stumbling on the strings, but hot damn this thing is a cool axe!

Nitro finish (which i'm scared of)
    21 frets (was looking for 24 but I don't care now)
    Tex-mex pickups (really freaking sweet)
    Vintage 7.25" radius fretboard
    C neck

I never thought I'd be a Fender guy, but like I said, I'm totally obsessed with this thing. I am going to lay my SX frankenstrat to rest until I am ready to frankenstein it even more. But honestly, after this neck, I feel like I'm ruined for other guitars.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool. I'm glad you found something you like. Have fun at your party.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats. I've heard nothing but good about those guitars. I'm (sort of) anxious to try one.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats, they are really nice. I have a Road Worn Player Strat - it's awesome.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I played one of those in the store once. You're right, they are very hard to put down!

Super-comfortable neck and great tones out of those pickups.

Congrats and Happy New Guitar Day!

Post Thanks / Like

What worries you about the Nitro finish? I'd be worried about finding a stand that won't ruin it, but that's about it. Also, remember that all Fenders have a poly dip before they get the Nitro finish.

I've heard a lot of good things about those road-worn Fenders. Congrats on your new Strat!
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Congrats, they are really nice. I have a Road Worn Player Strat - it's awesome.
    Thanks, Robert. Yes, I just noticed you had a similar post from a while ago. I considered the players strat too. Not sure what ultimately made the decision for me, but I just bought what I couldn't stop playing.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter View Post
    What worries you about the Nitro finish? I'd be worried about finding a stand that won't ruin it, but that's about it. Also, remember that all Fenders have a poly dip before they get the Nitro finish.

I've heard a lot of good things about those road-worn Fenders. Congrats on your new Strat!
    Exactly, I can't put it in the guitar stand that I use, so I am thinking about masking the rubber with tape or something. Also, the strap I use, I can't tell what material the end and I don't want it to react. Other than that I'm just being dramatic.

Post Thanks / Like

Originally Posted by FrankenFretter

Exactly, I can't put it in the guitar stand that I use, so I am thinking about masking the rubber with tape or something. Also, the strap I use, I can't tell what material the end and I don't want it to react. Other than that I'm just being dramatic.
    Its a "Roadworn". Is that even possible? I'm too careful with my guitars so I'm always scared I will scratch or discolor them. I would LOVE to have at least one guitar that plays great but doest have a pretty finish to worry about. Missed a great deal on a preabused fender strat at a music store that played like butter and haven't managed to find another one since.

Post Thanks / Like

I just reread my post. I hope that didn't sound rude. I really didn't mean it that way. I actually almost bought one. Same thing, I couldn't put it down. But I wanted it because I wouldn't have worried so much about what happened to it cosmetically.

Post Thanks / Like

I like those alot Glacies!!.................... cebreez you do have to have atleast one butt ugly guitar to abuse!!!!
    Last edited by mrmudcat; May 20th, 2013 at 05:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool. You sound deleriously happy.

I have a Nitro guitar, my 535. I use a swingaway wall mount, and a hercules floor stand, no problems with either, and both very common in the guitar retail world. My guitar is never in it's case and it gets pretty dang hot in my music room in the summer, so I'd think I'd have seen some issues arise by now.

What are you playing those Tex Mex p'ups through? I have a strat, it's a '97 AM STD that my neighbor has stored at my house for 5 years or so now. Super comfy, but I don't like the sounds and the neck is a bit slim. I'd manage with that if it sounded better. I think the electronics in general blow...but I've not altered anything for obvious reasons. It sits in it's case, pristine....but what a waste!!!
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

Tio,

I am. I have it at work today to take to my tech so he can do a real setup. Kind of irritated that GC didn't set it up, but I trust my tech more anyway.

I'm playing through a Crate Vintage Club 50W 2x12 combo and a Boss ME-70 pedalboard. The crate is in pieces right now, just replaced a bunch of the circuits and I'm waiting for new jacks to show up today. I really love this amp but it hasn't been particularly reliable. I'm hoping my fixes bring it into a better state, else I'm probably going to go after a Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue.

Post Thanks / Like

So I mentioned to my tech that the switch was a little weird (middle position sounded like the bridge) and the pickups needed to be balanced (low E sounded like a bass line) and the action was too high. This guy sets up all my guitars and I trust him. He said that the pickups are wired incorrectly and that the middle position volume is wired to one of the tone pots. Also that he'd have to shim the neck to get the action lower at the 12th.

I told him not to do anything and that I was going to take it back to GC to look at. What do you guys think?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Glacies View Post
    So I mentioned to my tech that the switch was a little weird (middle position sounded like the bridge) and the pickups needed to be balanced (low E sounded like a bass line) and the action was too high. This guy sets up all my guitars and I trust him. He said that the pickups are wired incorrectly and that the middle position volume is wired to one of the tone pots. Also that he'd have to shim the neck to get the action lower at the 12th.

I told him not to do anything and that I was going to take it back to GC to look at. What do you guys think?
    I'm not sure how these things are wired normally, so I can't comment on that, but I wouldn't think that a brand new guitar should need a neck shim. Don't expect anything intelligent from the GC staff. They'll probably just say that that's the way they all are and you're just imagining things.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

That's kind of what I"m afraid of.

Does the neck shim take anything away from the guitar? Any reason NOT to do it?

Post Thanks / Like

I know of people who have shimmed necks before. Assuming that it doesn't have to be shimmed a ton, I wouldn't think it would be an issue. Having said that, I wouldn't want a brand-new guitar that cost almost a grand to have problems like that. You could tolerate it with a super cheap guitar, but not something like that. At least I wouldn't.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post
    I know of people who have shimmed necks before. Assuming that it doesn't have to be shimmed a ton, I wouldn't think it would be an issue. Having said that, I wouldn't want a brand-new guitar that cost almost a grand to have problems like that. You could tolerate it with a super cheap guitar, but not something like that. At least I wouldn't.
    I second that Glacies!

Post Thanks / Like

I would rather pay my tech for it than juggle it back and fourth with GC, but I just want to make sure a shimmed neck isn't the sign of other problems and won't affect anything adversely. The switch thing is a non-issue. I'd fix it myself if I didn't have a policy about working on my guitars.

Post Thanks / Like

I just want to make sure a shimmed neck isn't the sign of other problems and won't affect anything adversely.
    That really depends on how far out it is. And is it a bad neck pocket or was the heel of the neck ground too thin? Either way if it is out more than 1 or 2 mm then I would seriously consider swapping it for another one. Shimming does not hurt anything. But a large enough shim job is more than noticeable. I would bet these guitars are not made to really tight tolerances. Play to the masses so to speak. Some people like their action high. I believe SRV kept his a little higher than I would like.

All of that being said. Have you considered replacing the nut? Maybe it was grooved too deep.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast