Thread: Learn Guitar with David Brent

Post Thanks / Like

Default Learn Guitar with David Brent

If not informative, this video series should at least prove humorous.

Post Thanks / Like

Never been a big Gervais fan - this video hasn't changed my mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bookkeeper's Son View Post
    Never been a big Gervais fan - this video hasn't changed my mind.
    Never been a big passive aggression fan - this post hasn't changed my mind.

Ok, that's a lie and I know it. I love passive aggression.

Nonetheless, was that post entirely necessary?

There are dozens of posts here all the time about artists I don't care about or flat out can't stand. I tend to just not reply about them and let the people that enjoy them enjoy them because they don't come and sh*t on the posts about stuff I like.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I always chuckle when the subtext of someone's post comes across as: "This topic is stupid and it isn't worth my time to respond."

Personally, I think Gervais is hilarious and a comic genius. He's a master of cringe and squirm humour. Making his audience physically uncomfortable proves he has a deep-seeded understanding of drama, character-based comedy and human psychology. The best comedies are tragedies where no one gets hurt... on the outside.
    Nothing is anything until it is written. After that, it's everything.

Post Thanks / Like

I like him a lot. I'm going to subscribe.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davewrites View Post
    Personally, I think Gervais is hilarious and a comic genius. He's a master of cringe and squirm humour. Making his audience physically uncomfortable proves he has a deep-seeded understanding of drama, character-based comedy and human psychology. The best comedies are tragedies where no one gets hurt... on the outside.
    Not sure if you've seen this piece he wrote a few years back on the difference he perceives between UK and US comedy, but I think you'll enjoy it. I hadn't seen it before but someone linked to it on Twitter yesterday because of the finale of the US version of The Office.

http://ideas.time.com/2011/11/09/the...ritish-humour/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Not sure if you've seen this piece he wrote a few years back on the difference he perceives between UK and US comedy, but I think you'll enjoy it. I hadn't seen it before but someone linked to it on Twitter yesterday because of the finale of the US version of The Office.

http://ideas.time.com/2011/11/09/the...ritish-humour/
    Wow.....what a great interview and he really explains himself well. Extremely interesting read and one of those things that requires a re-read or two to fully digest what's he's saying.

I love to laugh but I never actively pursue laughter vis-a-vis......say, going to a comedy club.....I hate having the "squirmies" (to quote the Gervais article) and I don't like feeling "uncomfortable" which I invariably would feel, either for myself or someone in the audience. That's just me.....I accept that about me.......it's something that I can't articulate very well.

Still, it's nice to see that Gervais "owns" his brand of comedy and that he takes full responsibility for it. It's nice to see that he just doesn't "excuse it away". I admire that in people.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by piebaldpython View Post
    Wow.....what a great interview and he really explains himself well. Extremely interesting read and one of those things that requires a re-read or two to fully digest what's he's saying.
    That's what I really appreciate about Gervais. He's naturally clever and witty enough that he'd be very funny regardless, but when you hear/read him speak about comedy you can see how much thought he really puts into it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Nonetheless, was that post entirely necessary?
    Hmmm - I'd say it was approximately as necessary as yours........

Some folks really read too much into things, and even weirder, they get upset about it.