Thread: Most Classic Bluegrass Song?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Most Classic Bluegrass Song?

Actually, my question is more an advice question on learning bluegrass on guitar - what are some of the classics that you would recommend beginning with? They needn't be simple - I kind of prefer a challenging piece, but I know so little that I would like one that has the most traditional structure.

Oddly, this new adventure rose out this bboard, and questions about Bill Monroe and the beginnings of Bluegrass.

RC
    Richard Wilkerson | dreamgate.com

Post Thanks / Like

Big Sciota and Billy in the Lowground are classics, fun to play and not too hard to learn: listen to both on Brian Sutton's cd of duets with other flat-picking greats Not Too Far From the Tree
    The tabs are not too hard to find - somewhere I got a tab of Sutton's first break ion Big Sciota which is fun to play, but I can no longer find it on line. I can send it to you if you are interested.

Post Thanks / Like

I played bluegrass bass back in the day, but not guitar. Bass parts were mostly dead simple. The banjo picking looked like it required more right hand dexterity than I possessed.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post
    I played bluegrass bass back in the day, but not guitar. Bass parts were mostly dead simple. The banjo picking looked like it required more right hand dexterity than I possessed.
    With SIMPLE bass parts, it allows for much more imbibing of the local 'shine. Banjo/dobro picking, while fast and furious at times, is primarily based on several types of "rolls".....again, to allow more imbibing.....and to allow the player to check out the ample decolletage on display out on the dance floor.

Tongue firmly in cheek lest anyone has a coronary over the above. It's a rainy, dreary day in Philly and I wanted to laugh.

Seriously though, go on YouTube and click on CARTER FAMILY......and that should give you a list of classics.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by piebaldpython View Post
    \
    Seriously though, go on YouTube and click on CARTER FAMILY......and that should give you a list of classics.
    The Carter Family has classics for sure, but not Bluegrass. That's "old time" music, and yes, there is a difference despite them being related, primarily the role of the instruments.

"Old time" music involves less (or no) soloing, and then typically only by the fiddler while the rest of the instruments hold almost exclusively rhythmic roles.

Bluegrass bands, on the contrary, often have multiple soloists (fiddle, banjo, guitar) who will take turns soloing off of the main melody of the song.

In that way, bluegrass is as much a derivative of jazz as it is old time music. There's a reason "Little Liza Jane" is a standard for both bluegrass players and New Orleans brass bands. Nothing happened in a vacuum.

In answer to RC's question about finding bluegrass songs to learn... just do what PBP said and sub "Bill Monroe" for "The Carter Family" and you'll be all set. Then go back and learn "old-time" music from the Carters too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    The Carter Family has classics for sure, but not Bluegrass. That's "old time" music, and yes, there is a difference despite them being related, primarily the role of the instruments.

"Old time" music involves less (or no) soloing, and then typically only by the fiddler while the rest of the instruments hold almost exclusively rhythmic roles.

Bluegrass bands, on the contrary, often have multiple soloists (fiddle, banjo, guitar) who will take turns soloing off of the main melody of the song.

In that way, bluegrass is as much a derivative of jazz as it is old time music. There's a reason "Little Liza Jane" is a standard for both bluegrass players and New Orleans brass bands. Nothing happened in a vacuum.

In answer to RC's question about finding bluegrass songs to learn... just do what PBP said and sub "Bill Monroe" for "The Carter Family" and you'll be all set. Then go back and learn "old-time" music from the Carters too.
    This all sounds like good advice, and fun to start a whole new genre!

RC
    Richard Wilkerson | dreamgate.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The first two I learned were fiddle tunes, common among any group of bluegrass pickers. They were "Billy in the Low Ground" and "Red Haired Boy".

Reasonably easy versions to learn are both available here: http://www.bluegrassguitar.com/leadtabs.html

Learning these along to a metronome did wonders for my right hand, picking technique, rhythm and alternate picking. Good stuff!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Foggy Mountain Breakdown and Uncle Pen are two of the basics. If you play bluegrass, you have to know those two.
    Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Ultra; pretty red Squier Acoustic;
    Amps: Vox VT30;
    Pedals: Dunlop Fuzz Face; Dunlop Crybaby Wah
    My kids have: Squier Affinity Stratocaster MII; Fender G-DEC; Squire Acoustic; Jay Turser Strat-copy, Roland Cube amp

"I am a sworn enemy of the saccharine, and a believer in grace over karma." Bono 2001

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I was just thinking I needed to learn a couple new fiddle tunes. Those two that Retro Hound suggested sound like good ones. Many of the bluegrass fiddle tunes are written around the main chord shape in the song's key. For instance in "Billy", the C chord in open position, and in "Red Haired", it is the G chord, both in open position. So when it comes time for improvising off the main melody, those chord tones are the keys to sounding good. Good practice for note selection.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

dueling banjos played on guitar can be pretty swift if done right.combo the chords and melody and make it your own version of a simple tune.
    Life is like a camera, just focus on what’s important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don’t work out, just take another shot. ~ Anonymous

Guitars: 1967(year they came out): Fender Coronado II Wildwood I ,Fullerton ST- 4 Fat Strat , Esteban Legacy acous/elec,99 MIA Standard Fender Strat
    Amph's Original Roland Cube 15,Drive 30 w/spring reverb