Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Current & Past "Hot Gear" - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Current & Past "Hot Gear"

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa View Post
    The biggest hot gear items I can remember that were all the rage though...

BBE sonic maximisers
    All Behringer gear when they first came
    Marshall jcm800
    Mexi-strats when they hit the stores
    The first Charvel superstrats when those arrived

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    The MIM Strats and JCM 800s stuck and became classics/go-to's though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad View Post
    The MIM Strats and JCM 800s stuck and became classics/go-to's though.

I remember when I first joined here and posted I had gotten the above guitar, I was welcomed with a lot of kudos on the good choice I (accidentally) made.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw View Post

I remember when I first joined here and posted I had gotten the above guitar, I was welcomed with a lot of kudos on the good choice I (accidentally) made.
    I haven't played one of the newer ones, since they went to bigger frets and alnico rather than ceramic pickups. I expect I'd like them even more now, than the '90's one I had.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah, they did seem nicer, and this special model I got seemed to be a notch above the regular, new and improved, MIM's that came out in 2006. It seemed like the Anniversary models got a little special attention in the factory or something. It is still probably my favorite electric.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Did someone already mention the Hot Rod Deluxe? I think Fender sold about a billion of those amphs.

Blues Jr. was all the rage at one time too. And the Roland Cube amphs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

My current "hot gear" are G&L basses. I can't say that's true to the wider marketplace though since G&L isn't terribly popular.

The idea of a G&L guitar has crossed my mind more than a few times since I love their basses so much.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NWBasser View Post
    My current "hot gear" are G&L basses. I can't say that's true to the wider marketplace though since G&L isn't terribly popular.

The idea of a G&L guitar has crossed my mind more than a few times since I love their basses so much.
    What's that, an M2500 on the left? Also, is that PJ a short-scale bass?

I've been heavily considering a Schecter Model-T (I love Robert DeLeo), but I'm trying to talk myself out of it. So far a simple MIM P is fine, but I have also been thinking about those G&Ls. How would you describe how they play/sound (as objectively as possible)?
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Eric, yes that's an M2500.

The PJ is standard scale SB-2 model. The SB-2 has the skinnier neck like a jazz bass. The MFD pickups in it are slamming hot. It's louder than most active basses. It has a very strong mid-range presence to it that stands out in a crowded mix. Not as much low-end as the jazz. I spend most of my gig time on the JB because it has such incredibly low action that I don't even think much about my playing. It just seems to happen without any effort on my part.

I think a Model-T would be the bees knees. I like Schecters and really dig the P/J configuration.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Eric, yes that's an M2500.

The PJ is standard scale SB-2 model. The SB-2 has the skinnier neck like a jazz bass. The MFD pickups in it are slamming hot. It's louder than most active basses. It has a very strong mid-range presence to it that stands out in a crowded mix. Not as much low-end as the jazz. I spend most of my gig time on the JB because it has such incredibly low action that I don't even think much about my playing. It just seems to happen without any effort on my part.

I think a Model-T would be the bees knees. I like Schecters and really dig the P/J configuration.
    Interesting. That's kind of crazy that there's so much output from those pickups, though I've found that I kind of get used to whatever I play with the most. After using a P with an EMG in it, the Ibanez I sold seemed super-weak even with the active Barts. I'd like to try a really low-action bass. I went to bass gathering out here and couldn't really tell the difference from one bass to the next, though I guess I did play mostly P-basses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Never met a p-bass that had real nice low action. My Ibanez has pretty decent one, but I had a Tanglewood bass before, 5-string, which had super low action and the four lightest strings were also a little lighter gauge.

Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Interesting. That's kind of crazy that there's so much output from those pickups, though I've found that I kind of get used to whatever I play with the most. After using a P with an EMG in it, the Ibanez I sold seemed super-weak even with the active Barts. I'd like to try a really low-action bass. I went to bass gathering out here and couldn't really tell the difference from one bass to the next, though I guess I did play mostly P-basses.
    When I play the SB-2, I either engage the limiter pad or turn the gain way back on the amph. With the neck pickup volume rolled back about 50% and the bridge pickup off, it sounds quite like an old P-bass.

The really low action helps a lot if you're playing very busy bass parts as I do with Portrait. For most support-role playing though, it's really not so much of a big deal.

Also, I play with a fairly light touch which helps. A more aggressive playing style would likely require higher action.

G&L also started a new model, the LB-100, which is their P-bass and has a normal alnico pickup. Probably a very nice bass as it's a US model and you can get either a skinnier jazz-style neck or a chunkier P-style neck.

Post Thanks / Like

When I play the SB-2, I either engage the limiter pad or turn the gain way back on the amph. With the neck pickup volume rolled back about 50% and the bridge pickup off, it sounds quite like an old P-bass.

The really low action helps a lot if you're playing very busy bass parts as I do with Portrait. For most support-role playing though, it's really not so much of a big deal.

Also, I play with a fairly light touch which helps. A more aggressive playing style would likely require higher action.

G&L also started a new model, the LB-100, which is their P-bass and has a normal alnico pickup. Probably a very nice bass as it's a US model and you can get either a skinnier jazz-style neck or a chunkier P-style neck.
    That's cool. It's good to have options. In a way, it's fun to be back in a world I know nothing about with a very unrefined palette while I explore new options. Possibly best of all, I don't yet know what doesn't sound good, so I can happily jam along on any crap that tends to be sitting around at the time.

It's interesting what you say about action. Even on somewhat challenging parts that I might play these days, I rarely find that bass action is an issue. Mind you it's not exactly jazz fusion, but that sort of thing seems to be less of an issue than it was on guitar.

Post Thanks / Like

Oddly enough, I insist on low action on my guitars, but I couldn't care less on my bass. Not that the action is super high, mind you. I prefer to avoid as much fret racket as possible.

I really like the EMG pups on my bass. Not a fan of the EMG HZs though.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah it's far less important on bass. Actually I sometimes find action on guitar too low too...but on bass it ruins the sound if there's any fret noises.

Dee

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

...but on bass it ruins the sound if there's any fret noises.

I take it you don't like Iron Maiden so much?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hehe, well yeah Harris is a class of his own, he makes it a part of his tone. But generally, I go for smooth and steady on bass.

Dee

Post Thanks / Like

Hehe, well yeah Harris is a class of his own, he makes it a part of his tone. But generally, I go for smooth and steady on bass.

I like smooth and steady too. I just had to throw Harris out there to put a wrench in the works!

Post Thanks / Like

Danelectro 'cool cat' pedals. still a big fan of the transparent overdrive.
    Cheers,
    David
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123